Hi, I was wondering if you could put a locking nut on a Tune-O-Matic, and how much it'd generally cost to buy and install one. I'm quite fed up with my ML's current nut(I had to cut it all myself, and the intonation's off on the high E as a result), and I'd like a locking nut, but I'm not entirely sure if it's possible to get the locking nut without some sort of floating trem(I can't find them, anyways). If you can, would it cost much to get the nut widened? I'll have about $150 soon, and I'm putting some of that towards a new bridge pickup(getting it for $70), so I was wondering if that $80 could get me set up with a locking nut.
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
It's not efficient. When you lock a locking nut, the pitch is usually raised a little bit so you'd be locking it out-of-tune.

It is possible, but in truth that is far more trouble than it's worth.
wouldn`t do it for the reason mentioned above you would be far better off getting some sperzel locking tuners if you want to lock it at the headstock side, but if you`d bother to intonate your guitar properly then there should be no need for either.
Quote by ibanezgod1973
wouldn`t do it for the reason mentioned above you would be far better off getting some sperzel locking tuners if you want to lock it at the headstock side, but if you`d bother to intonate your guitar properly then there should be no need for either.

I can't intonate it properly, that's the thing. The nut's cut too deep because the strings kept popping out. So I figured if I got something with tuning locks covering it it couldn't pop out, thus I could tune it. Thanks for the help anyways. -_-
Quote by SlayingDragons
Why don't you just get a new nut? They're like $5-$10...
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
if the string is popping out of the nut then you need to cut the nut slot deeper. but at the right guage, go speak to a tech and get a replacement nut fitted. locking nuts and locking tuners are designed for tuning stability not for string retention.
Quote by Offworld92
Why don't you just get a new nut? They're like $5-$10...

I want to try a locking nut. o-o
Quote by SlayingDragons
Quote by ibanezgod1973
if the string is popping out of the nut then you need to cut the nut slot deeper. but at the right guage, go speak to a tech and get a replacement nut fitted. locking nuts and locking tuners are designed for tuning stability not for string retention.

I did that. It kept popping out until I got string buzz on the G, so now I've got a piece of paper holding it up from buzzing, which I'm sure's not a good thing, and the high E's intonation is unfixably off(thanks for implying I can't intonate randomly though, guys). Thanks for giving an honest effort at helping though.
Quote by SlayingDragons
Quote by Enix165
I want to try a locking nut. o-o

You can't. I thought that was said already. You can't use a locking nut, because you don't have a floating bridge, and therefore have no fine tuners. Without fine tuners, the locking nut becomes completely useless, because you will never be able to be perfectly in tune.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
You can't. I thought that was said already. You can't use a locking nut, because you don't have a floating bridge, and therefore have no fine tuners. Without fine tuners, the locking nut becomes completely useless, because you will never be able to be perfectly in tune.

Oh. SHIT. Thanks anyways.
Quote by SlayingDragons
A locking nut is totally useless if the bridge is not adjustable as stated above.With out fine tuners on the bridge there is zero chance you will get the guitar in tune.It is entirely possible the bridge is not correctly placed. If you can not get it set properly take it to a luthier and have them look at the guitar.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
It doesn't work, there's physically not enough room. Not to mention, if you used a locking nut with a tune-o-matic then you would never be able to get it in tune [and you still wouldn't be able to intonate it correctly (even if you got a compensated locking nut). Fitting a locking nut is pretty much the worst idea I've ever heard of for curing nut headaches.

Just buy a new standard nut (costs next to nothing), an Earavane compensated nut if your guitar can take one (barely any more than a regular nut and makes a massive difference to the guitar's intonation) and either fit it yourself (very easy) or have a local tech fit it (should be fairly cheap).
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
It doesn't work, there's physically not enough room. Not to mention, if you used a locking nut with a tune-o-matic then you would never be able to get it in tune [and you still wouldn't be able to intonate it correctly (even if you got a compensated locking nut). Fitting a locking nut is pretty much the worst idea I've ever heard of for curing nut headaches.

Just buy a new standard nut (costs next to nothing), an Earavane compensated nut if your guitar can take one (barely any more than a regular nut and makes a massive difference to the guitar's intonation) and either fit it yourself (very easy) or have a local tech fit it (should be fairly cheap).

The only way you could get it in tune would be via a fine tuning tailpiece. And that's kinda pointless...
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by Enix165
I did that. It kept popping out until I got string buzz on the G, so now I've got a piece of paper holding it up from buzzing, which I'm sure's not a good thing, and the high E's intonation is unfixably off(thanks for implying I can't intonate randomly though, guys). Thanks for giving an honest effort at helping though.

Pay a tech to cut the nut for you. It’s much harder to cut a good nut than it seems, especially if you haven’t invested in a small vise and nut files.
Quote by jpnyc
Pay a tech to cut the nut for you. It’s much harder to cut a good nut than it seems, especially if you haven’t invested in a small vise and nut files.

This is VERY true. Bone especially. Having done it twice and both times I've done it it's come out wrong intonation wise and the first time my string spacing was horribly wrong.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
The only way you could get it in tune would be via a fine tuning tailpiece. And that's kinda pointless...

My friend's 1986 Carvin Les Paul has a kahler bridge with fine tuners. Yes, it's pointless considering the stock tuners are probably 16:1 or 18:1. Brass nut, though.

TS; you're best bet is to do with like an Earvana compensated nut or GraphTech even... Also, check your action. You can adjust intonation by adjusting your action slightly. I'm not saying you'll never have to move the saddles, though.
I find it a little odd that the depth of the nut slot would prevent you from intonating. Unless you mean it's so low the string can't ring open? You might have a bridge or saddle problem.

Anyway, I'd say put a regular nut back on (or an expensive one, whatever) and get it slotted correctly. If you still have problems with the strings popping out, put on a string tree. That's what they are for.
Water which is too pure has no fish - Ts'ai Ken T'an
You'd need fine tuners in the bridge.

However, replacing the nut with a quality one such as a Graph Tech, which is also pre-cut, and stretching the strings when they are new will solve most of the problems with tuning stability.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
Quote by Enix165
Hi, I was wondering if you could put a locking nut on a Tune-O-Matic, and how much it'd generally cost to buy and install one. I'm quite fed up with my ML's current nut(I had to cut it all myself, and the intonation's off on the high E as a result), and I'd like a locking nut, but I'm not entirely sure if it's possible to get the locking nut without some sort of floating trem(I can't find them, anyways). If you can, would it cost much to get the nut widened? I'll have about $150 soon, and I'm putting some of that towards a new bridge pickup(getting it for $70), so I was wondering if that $80 could get me set up with a locking nut.

i can see how upset you are,
and why you feel, "if only i had a locking nut"

like said, the bad news is that it's not going to work with your guitar.

the GODD news is that you don't need a locking nut.

you just need a nut that's cut properly.

that will help the intonation,
the string jumping out of the cut,
and the tuning issues.

i suggest, since you are so frustrated at this point,
you have a tech you trust install a good quality nut and
if you want, locking tuners too.

do that and you'll love to play your guitar again.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011