hey guys, Im a bass player. I've been playing for about 5 years. Im looking on picking up some electric guitar. Can you guys recommend me anything?

Im looking for something on the nonexpensive side, but is nice to play.

thanks!!
w/o bass n drums, there wouldn't really be rock music.

Schecter is pronounced 'Shek-ter', right? I don't want to walk in and say, "Hey, can I try out that Sketcher?" and have the helper reply with "Wtf, we don't sell shoes!"
What kind of music do you play? What country are you in (Affects prices and availability)? Can you give us a more specific budget?
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join
I like classic rock and blues. I live in the US. Im trying not to spend a lot. like $300 tops maybe.

Schecter is pronounced 'Shek-ter', right? I don't want to walk in and say, "Hey, can I try out that Sketcher?" and have the helper reply with "Wtf, we don't sell shoes!"
I'd recommend a Mexican Stratocaster. You'll have to go used, but that's an average price. Well worth it, though- it's about as much as a used Epiphone Les Paul, but much, much better, and great for classic rock and blues.
Quote by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?

Would you run down past the fence?

Tell us, is the black box lying?
i was looking a t the telecasters too. Anything else?

Well, the Epiphone Les Pauls like I stated earlier, but they're not as great a value as the Strat. Try all three out. You could also look into a semihollow like an Epi Dot.

By the by, are you planning to pick up an amp as well, or just play through your bass amp?
Quote by Wisthekiller

nope, got my own amp. just need the guitar

A MIM strat or fat strat is a good idea.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
whats the price?

brand new they're $500ish, used they're quite a bit less.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Not a mexi strat! Most of the mexi strats I've played have frets not level, sticking off the edges, or warped necks. well, if you play it and it's frets/neck are good then ok, but every g&l tribute legacy I've played is a lot better sounding/feeling. FYI the L in G&L stands for Leo Fender, just a fun fact! Or a G&L ASAT special. Or A fixed bridge ibanez with new pickups, Or a mexi tele (for some reason the teles seem to have better quality control.) Or the choises go on and on
I'm up for building you a pedal.
(Or modding nearly anything moddable)
(PM Me.)
Last edited by evhbrianmay at Sep 7, 2010,
Quote by evhbrianmay
Not a mexi strat! Most of the mexi strats I've played have frets not level, sticking off the edges, or warped necks. well, if you play it and it's frets/neck are good then ok, but every g&l tribute legacy I've played is a lot better sounding/feeling. FYI the L in G&L stands for Leo Fender, just a fun fact! Or a G&L ASAT special

... You must have the worst luck of anyone. <_< I've only played one bad MIM, and its owner just didn't give two shits about it.
G&L's are nice though, but a bit out of budget.
Quote by Wisthekiller

agreed ive never played on a bad mim out of the 5-6 ive played on.. nice guitars really
G&L tribute series (made in china or korea) are the same price as strats on musicians friend, I wasn't talking about the 1200+ MIA legacies!

I've played one or two good MIM strat out of like 6 or more, Man! I must have bad luck!

Ive playd one or two BAD telecasters out of like 10 or more but G&L's tribute ASAT classic is also great, they're a bit different beasts though, but both are good.
(PM Me.)
Last edited by evhbrianmay at Sep 7, 2010,
Quote by evhbrianmay
G&L tribute series (made in china or korea) are the same price as strats on musicians friend, I wasn't talking about the 1200+ MIA legacies!

I've played one or two good MIM strat out of like 6 or more, Man! I must have bad luck!

Ive playd one or two BAD telecasters out of like 10 or more but G&L's tribute ASAT classic is also great, they're a bit different beasts though, but both are good.

It's funny, all the MIM strats I've played have been flat-out awesome!
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
I believe we've concluded that a strat would be good. My suggestion, really, is to browse the local GC for strats in your price range. When you have such a low budget, used gear really shines. Check cragislist as well. If you don't want a used guitar, your only choice, really, is to check around online for guitars that are in your range. You might have to go with a Squier or strat copy.
I guess I just have bad luck
(PM Me.)