Man pinch harmonics are being little fags on my guitar right now. Can't get a single one, Is it my guitar? I have a Fender Starcaster (cheap version of a strat). Or is it my amp? It's a Line 6 Spider 4 120 Watt. I don't know what the problem is. All my pinch harmonics sound like shit.
Like it won't squeal at all no matter where I pick. It'll make like a little tiny high pitched kind of sound. I can't really describe the sound that well.
It's you, not the gear. Work on perfecting your technique. Plenty of video lessons out there on youtube. Your gear is perfectly okay.
Quote by sadSTATUE
Uhmmm... Well, apparently I was mentioned in a thread called "Japan and Lesbians."

Quote by Unknown_Biskit
Try typing "potatoes" with your dick then submit it.

My cover of Manchester Orchestra's "I Can Feel Your Pain"
http://www.mediafire.com/?jfvt54j4mkiiq99
Yeah I'm using distortion and It might be me, but now It's just getting ridiculous.
Somebody help me through this nightmare...

I CAN'T CONTROL MYSELF!
Turn distortion all the way up. Fret the 7th fret G string. Pluck it, and almost straight away lightly touch the string above the 19th fret G string. Add some vibrato. If this sounds similar to a pinch, it's you and not the guitar.

I dunno much about the guitar, but i know the amp will definitely be kind to pinches.
With a strat, put the pickup setting on bridge pickup. Then try and get one by pinching your right hand right above the middle pickup. The node should be that length because most Strat guitars are about the same length. Don't worry about the note for now.

If you can't get it, just keep trying and you will.

It will take quite a while before you're able to get it sounding good.

Here's what I did when I first tried it. Put your gain all the way up and if you have a wah pedal, set it locked to high treble position. You will definitely be able to get one with all of that gain and treble.
Make sure your strings aren't rusted as well, although this is really a fairly rare problem. It's almost always technique.

If you take the guitar, and unplug it from the amp, and it has unrusted strings, and you still can't get pinch harmonics, it is definitely your technique.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Honestly, I couldn't get a pinch harmonic to sound properly with my friend's pos guitar with trash pickups and dead strings through an Orange Tiny Terror and MXR Distortion III. At the very least, make sure your strings aren't dead. I doubt it's your gear though.
Quote by Isaiah Williams
Man pinch harmonics are being little fags on my guitar right now. Can't get a single one, Is it my guitar? I have a Fender Starcaster (cheap version of a strat). Or is it my amp? It's a Line 6 Spider 4 120 Watt. I don't know what the problem is. All my pinch harmonics sound like shit.

Dont expect them to sound like these.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKizp86ZUQI

or.. 0:10 i should say.
Don't worry, everybody and their brother does pinch harmonics now-a-days, so there's enough going around that you don't need to add any.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
I found pinch harmonics easier to do if you really push your thumb into the string, obviously not too hard just try. Just strike the string where ever the sweetest spot is and try and digging your thumb into the string. i know others said brush it lightly but I personally found it better to dig in more and then you can loosen it up once you get it down.

Also may help if you angle your thumb and pick a little so your thumb gets it.
Quote by Sleaze Disease
Don't worry, everybody and their brother does pinch harmonics now-a-days, so there's enough going around that you don't need to add any.

And the award for today's douchiest reply goes to you mate.
Pinch harmonic at the area closest to your bridge pickup.
Flip your pickup switcher to Bridge.
And...Turn off any effects or something.

But to really practice.
You should look for videos on Youtube, although they don't really offer the best angles of help..
Or look for a friend to teach you.
And.
Practice pinch harmonics without your amp (unpluggeg), or even on a clean channel.
That way, when you get back to distortion, you'll hit every pinch harmonic.
Gear

Ibanez RG350DX Electric Guitar With DiMarzio Tone Zone
Academy Electric Guitar
BeaverCreek Acoustic Guitar

Roland Micro Cube Amp
Academy 15W Amp
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey Sanpera Footswitch I
I'm taking every one of those suggestions into account here. Thanks dudes, now it's time to go practice and put what you guys said into my playing.
Somebody help me through this nightmare...

I CAN'T CONTROL MYSELF!