I've decided to post this with the hope of interesting discussion.

For a large part of the English speaking world, Hollywood is the main source of movies.
Is it me or is it such a shame that pretty much the majority of movies from there are just not worthy of attention.
I mean, I've seen movies from around the world that are just amazing and original.
Whereas Hollywood outputs, for the most part, generic movies recycling the same actors over and over again.

I mean, would you consider any of the same rehashed Hollywood comedy movies a worthwhile contribution to the history of cinema? And yet, these are extremely popular despite the fact that it's stuff we've seen before millions of times.

I think we should discuss this. Especially showing foreign language movies in English speaking cinemas. Seriously, remaking movies just because they have a different language can lose everything about it.

Do you guys agree with me about all this?
Look at all the wonderful contributions in every other field of art, and you'll see that cinema is lacking [but there are lots of gems, let's not forget!].
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
It's kinda the same thing as music. If you look around the top 40 stuff is usually pretty generic and repetitive, but less mainstream music (I don't mean to sound like a hipster, I just mean like metal, jazz, blues, etc.) can still be excellent.

Also, a movie doesn't have to have artistic value to be entertaining. Like, the Expendables was by no means an art film, and it won't get even close to winning any awards, but I still had a good time watching it.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Quote by rgrockr
It's kinda the same thing as music. If you look around the top 40 stuff is usually pretty generic and repetitive, but less mainstream music (I don't mean to sound like a hipster, I just mean like metal, jazz, blues, etc.) can still be excellent.

Also, a movie doesn't have to have artistic value to be entertaining. Like, the Expendables was by no means an art film, and it won't get even close to winning any awards, but I still had a good time watching it.

Prepare to get flame hard, but you pretty much summed up the Movie and Music scene quite well.
Keep you doped with religion and sex and TV
And you think you're so clever and class less and free
But you're still fucking peasants as far as I can see

A working class hero is something to be.
Quote by rgrockr

so i herd u liek pabst blue ribbon
LICKY, LICKY LOLLIPOP

Quote by soundjam
Which is why you eat funions. All the deliciousness of fried onions without disgusting lukewarm onion snake.
I dont think Hollywood is the source of movies because they are also coping from local languages....so i dont accept that point....
Quote by rgrockr

True.
But music is a large scene with tons of artists. Plus, one person can create a great album.
Movies can be difficult for soen person to express themselves unless they are in the business, so the amount of 'quality' is far less. I just find all the pointless generic comedies in particular a waste of 'talent', money and time.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
Quote by red157
Hollywood makes movies that'll sell to the masses.

The masses frequently like crap.

What's to discuss?

No, we are made to like it. Why do you think McDonald is so popular? It's easy to make the product, and it's cheap.
Keep you doped with religion and sex and TV
And you think you're so clever and class less and free
But you're still fucking peasants as far as I can see

A working class hero is something to be.
Quote by Simsimius
I've decided to post this with the hope of interesting discussion.

For a large part of the English speaking world, Hollywood is the main source of movies.
Is it me or is it such a shame that pretty much the majority of movies from there are just not worthy of attention.
I mean, I've seen movies from around the world that are just amazing and original.
Whereas Hollywood outputs, for the most part, generic movies recycling the same actors over and over again.

I mean, would you consider any of the same rehashed Hollywood comedy movies a worthwhile contribution to the history of cinema? And yet, these are extremely popular despite the fact that it's stuff we've seen before millions of times.

I think we should discuss this. Especially showing foreign language movies in English speaking cinemas. Seriously, remaking movies just because they have a different language can lose everything about it.

Do you guys agree with me about all this?
Look at all the wonderful contributions in every other field of art, and you'll see that cinema is lacking [but there are lots of gems, let's not forget!].

While I agree that Hollywood is generally shittastic, I disagree that cinema is lacking. If you look hard enough there are literally thousands (more, probably) of great films out there that go deeper than the generic hollywood BS.
Foreign films (I'm from an English-speaking country) are some of the best movies I've seen. Movies such as The Diving Bell and the Butterfly, Amelie, Goodbye Lenin, and Children of Heaven.
MATTERHORN
Quote by Epicbizzjizz
No, we are made to like it. Why do you think McDonald is so popular? It's easy to make the product, and it's cheap.

That's not a good comparison.

'Hollywood' (it being a living breathing ball of consciousness) would like nothing more than to have everyone go see a well made drama produced for tuppence. But that ain't what most people like.

Hence spending $100m to make a blockbuster.
Quote by Doctor Matthews
Foreign films (I'm from an English-speaking country) are some of the best movies I've seen. Movies such as The Diving Bell and the Butterfly, Amelie, Goodbye Lenin, and Children of Heaven.

Exactly my point.
For most people, Hollywood is their main source, and that's just not good.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
The root of the problem is that movies cost so much to make that the ultimate decision making is done by businessmen instead of the artists. What I've noticed about mainstream movies (and music) is that it's one of the greatest things ever when you first see/hear it, but you get bored with it rather quickly. What makes movies truly great is when it's so complex and subtle that each time you watch it you can get a different message and enjoy it just as much as the first time. A good example of this is the Godfather, it's just full of nuances that you only notice when watching it again.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Quote by Doctor Matthews

Foreign cinema has just as much garbage as Hollywood does, it just doesn't get exposure in your country because of that fact. Only the really good ones are normally discovered over here, so we tend to think foreign filmmakers are gods.
Quote by KeepOnRotting
Foreign cinema has just as much garbage as Hollywood does, it just doesn't get exposure in your country because of that fact. Only the really good ones are normally discovered over here, so we tend to think foreign filmmakers are gods.

I've seen crappy foreign films, but they're still somehow better than crappy Hollywood.
MATTERHORN
Quote by KeepOnRotting

Noted.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
The only reason you think foreign films are original and cool is because the only ones that end up being easily accessible to viewers stateside are the ones that are cool...

and original.

French people shit out generic crap too.
Quote by Iluvpowerchords
The only reason you think foreign films are original and cool is because the only ones that end up being easily accessible to viewers stateside are the ones that are cool...

and original.

French people shit out generic crap too.

Often it's not even the good ones that become successes in english speaking nations.

Some just have to have a relatively high budget.

*cough*The Host*cough*
Quote by red157
Often it's not even the good ones that become successes in english speaking nations.

Some just have to have a relatively high budget.

*cough*The Host*cough*

I liked The Host. It was mainly a tribute to old style monster movies which I love though, so maybe that's why.