Page 1 of 2
So I'm purchasing a 7 string guitar in the next few months. It will be a Schecter Blackjack ATX C-7. I'll be tuning it to drop A using D'addario 12-54 Heavy + an 80 for the low A. I like my strings super tight.
However, I played a Schecter Hellraiser C-8 a couple of days ago, and I really got into the 8 string, so I'm thinking of buying both, which I can get for around £600 each shipped from the USA.

1) I want to tune it to drop E, and I worked out on a tension calc that I'll need to use a 105 gauge bass string for the tension I like. I'm aware ill need to unwrap the string and cut the nut, and a setup. Not a problem. Will the 105 fit through the Hipshot bridge?

2) I'm using a Line 6 Spider IV 75, which I'm quite happy with for home use. I will upgrade in the future. Will it be able to handle drop E?
You're probably going to overload your amp with low end.. The processor will handle it most likely but it's going to beat your speaker to death.
"For we are nothing without brotherhood and brotherhood is nothing without our brothers" -We Came As Romans
Downtuning an 8 string...

What have we become?!
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
I'll be getting a new amp sometime in 2011, so if the speaker goes by then it won't really matter. I've played a bass through it a few times and it seemed to handle it fine. What about the 105 gauge string fitting through the bridge?
Thats just absurd, buy a bass.
Seriously, what sound are you going for out of this?
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
Buy a six string bass and use 8 string guitar pickups. Would be interesting.
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Just a really low sound to play death metal and deathcore with. Nothing else. And if I bought a bass then I'd tune it another octave down, so I could record it with the 8 string. Either that or It'd go to drop A.
Fair enough then, to each his own.
I dont know who you'd ask about the bridge issue though. Sorry I can't be of more help.
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
Quote by Wesbanez
Lol this can only end in fail.

I asked for advice not negative comments! Your opinion is not wanted.
Quote by R.D
Fair enough then, to each his own.
I dont know who you'd ask about the bridge issue though. Sorry I can't be of more help.

I guess if it won't go in, i'll go with lighter strings. Ah well I'll just have to try and see.
Uhm ok as an 8string fan myself, Id like to point out Drop E is the standard Drop tuning for 8 strings: theyre in F# B E A D G B E, and if you want to do drop tunings, thats the way to do it. Tosin Abasi uses Drop E and it sounds ok.

TS: ya know what ive been told not to use on 8 strings? bass strings. they react differently witht eh pickups.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Quote by Banjocal
Uhm ok as an 8string fan myself, Id like to point out Drop E is the standard Drop tuning for 8 strings: theyre in F# B E A D G B E, and if you want to do drop tunings, thats the way to do it. Tosin Abasi uses Drop E and it sounds ok.

TS: ya know what ive been told not to use on 8 strings? bass strings. they react differently witht eh pickups.

Is it gonna sound bad? It's not like I can get a guitar string that size.
Quote by Trve_Satan
Just a really low sound to play death metal and deathcore with.

based on your username, I find it funny that you would play deathcore.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777
based on your username, I find it funny that you would play deathcore.

I love black metal and deathcore
You should invent a double decker guitar/bass(someone probably already has)... I think that would suit what you're trying to do better.
"For we are nothing without brotherhood and brotherhood is nothing without our brothers" -We Came As Romans
Quote by xkreedx
You should invent a double decker guitar/bass(someone probably already has)... I think that would suit what you're trying to do better.

You mean like a double neck. One a bass and one a guitar. Hmm mabye I should get a custom like that, if I ever have money like that.

Edit - I just looked at those Warr guitars and they look as if it would be impossible to get the hand round the neck.
Last edited by Trve_Satan at Sep 7, 2010,
Quote by Trve_Satan
You mean like a double neck. One a bass and one a guitar. Hmm mabye I should get a custom like that, if I ever have money like that.

you'd be better off with a Warr guitar, it is like a guitar and bass together but on one neck.

There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Last edited by theogonia777 at Sep 7, 2010,
Quote by theogonia777
you'd be better off with a Warr guitar, it is like a guitar and bass together but on one neck.

There's no pricing on the website. How much are those? And I'm not sure I'd want one of those. It looks stupid and is probably impossible to play. Judging by the string arrangement, it'd be like learning all over again.
Quote by Trve_Satan
There's no pricing on the website. How much are those? And I'm not sure I'd want one of those. It looks stupid and is probably impossible to play. Judging by the string arrangement, it'd be like learning all over again.

http://www.warrguitars.com/warr_prices/

but you could string it however you like, look up behold... the arctopus, they have one.
Quote by Trve_Satan
Good god there's no way I can pay that for a guitar.

but it's not too bad considering how much a custom doubleneck guitar could potentially cost.
Silly kids, this is just a phase you'll go through.

Buy a 7-string and don't waste your money on an 8-string because you want MOAR BR00TAL metalcore. Good luck finding a band to play with that uses 8 strings consistently. /inb4Meshuggah
Quote by theogonia777
but it's not too bad considering how much a custom doubleneck guitar could potentially cost.

If I ever got a custom, itd be years into the future. I am in no position to fund a custom or a Warr at the moment.
Have you bought guitars before from America? You will most likely be forced to pay additional customs duties for importing goods - which can be expensive.

Also, make sure a .080 will actually fit in the nut and the machine heads. I've seen musicians break their nuts (don't laugh) because they tried to wedge a thick gauge into a small nut (don't fucking laugh!). And regarding the bridge, I have no idea, but it looks like it should.

Frankly, though, I've never heard anyone use a .105 string before, it's just pointless. The idea is, if you want ultra tightness on a stupidly low tuning, you upgrade the neck to something like a 28" neck or the Agile equivalent of 28.6". That way you can comfortable use a .080 for a low E. Meshuggah use guitars with a 30" neck and they generally tune to F.

Also, the Line 6 Spider will not be able to handle the low end very well at all. It will fart and gasp for air, but will not be given any. I strongly recommend you upgrade your amp first, then worry about purchasing an eight string.

So many people are buying eight strings because they're 'the br00tz', and they don't really know how to use them. They just think the idea of them is cool. I'm not having a go or anything, I'm just simply saying that it would be in your favour to fine tune your amp before you worry about upgrading to a fancy eight string.

edit: oh, and by the way, we have an entire thread dedicated to extended range guitars. Check my signature for a link.
Last edited by AngryGoldfish at Sep 7, 2010,
Quote by Trve_Satan
So I'm purchasing a 7 string guitar in the next few months. It will be a Schecter Blackjack ATX C-7. I'll be tuning it to drop A using D'addario 12-54 Heavy + an 80 for the low A. I like my strings super tight.
However, I played a Schecter Hellraiser C-8 a couple of days ago, and I really got into the 8 string, so I'm thinking of buying both, which I can get for around £600 each shipped from the USA.

1) I want to tune it to drop E, and I worked out on a tension calc that I'll need to use a 105 gauge bass string for the tension I like. I'm aware ill need to unwrap the string and cut the nut, and a setup. Not a problem. Will the 105 fit through the Hipshot bridge?

2) I'm using a Line 6 Spider IV 75, which I'm quite happy with for home use. I will upgrade in the future. Will it be able to handle drop E?

EVERYONE who has posted in this thread is an idiot. Do not take any advice unless its coming from someone who owns and regularly plays an 8 string guitar. Go to the ERG thread for regular advice.

About this specific instance, D'Addario has guitar strings up to .080" which i use for Drop E.

If you want anything thicker, you will have to get custom strings from Octave4+ or (crap i can't think of the other guy).

In addition, Your amplifier will NOT explode if you play Drop E. The efficiency of the speakers lowers at that frequency, and every amp/cab combo is different. My Cab is well built and there is no volume difference between my regular E and low E. You might want to test various amps and cab setups until you find something that you like.

Again, shame on everyone who posted above me.

EDIT: other than AG
Last edited by customisbetter at Sep 7, 2010,
I find most of the comments posted here completely stupid and close-minded, but thats another discussion entirely...

Anyway, a string that thick will most likely not fit into that bridge, though i am not certain. i would suggest you buy an Agile 8 string with at least a 28.625" scale so you can use a thinner string to get the same tension (Agile also has 30" scale guitars as well). Ive always found that the 26.5" scale on the schecter 8 strings is waaaay to short and a bad decision on Schecter's part. It might be difficult to get an Agile in europe, but i think you will be happier in the end.

As for your amp, it probably wont be a problem. People who tune down to B or A on 6 strings dont seem to be blowing up their amps or anything. I have 2 Agile 828s, and i practice in my room with a roland Street cube. It has no problem reproducing the low notes of an 8 string and sounds pretty good for a practice amp. If it is harming my amp, it hasnt shown any signs in the last year or so.
Quote by dethfield
I find most of the comments posted here completely stupid and close-minded, but thats another discussion entirely...

Anyway, a string that thick will most likely not fit into that bridge, though i am not certain. i would suggest you buy an Agile 8 string with at least a 28.625" scale so you can use a thinner string to get the same tension (Agile also has 30" scale guitars as well). Ive always found that the 26.5" scale on the schecter 8 strings is waaaay to short and a bad decision on Schecter's part. It might be difficult to get an Agile in europe, but i think you will be happier in the end.

As for your amp, it probably wont be a problem. People who tune down to B or A on 6 strings dont seem to be blowing up their amps or anything. I have 2 Agile 828s, and i practice in my room with a roland Street cube. It has no problem reproducing the low notes of an 8 string and sounds pretty good for a practice amp. If it is harming my amp, it hasnt shown any signs in the last year or so.
+1

Quote by customisbetter
EVERYONE who has posted in this thread is an idiot. Do not take any advice unless its coming from someone who owns and regularly plays an 8 string guitar. Go to the ERG thread for regular advice.

About this specific instance, D'Addario has guitar strings up to .080" which i use for Drop E.

If you want anything thicker, you will have to get custom strings from Octave4+ or (crap i can't think of the other guy).

In addition, Your amplifier will NOT explode if you play Drop E. The efficiency of the speakers lowers at that frequency, and every amp/cab combo is different. My Cab is well built and there is no volume difference between my regular E and low E. You might want to test various amps and cab setups until you find something that you like.
+1

Again, shame on everyone who posted above me.

EDIT: other than AG
Oh, and
Thanks for some good answers here guys. I'm thinking that the 8 string will be fine through my Line 6 now. Agile/Rondo Music don't ship to the UK unfortulatley, so I'll have to get the Schecter. Chances are the Schecter will be fine in drop E. I'm used to a slightly muddy sound anyway, as I use a 24.75" Dean in drop Bb and drop A. I had no problem fitting an 80 through the tuner on that, as it had a tapered end.
Quote by customisbetter
Agile DOES ship to the UK. However you must get a case, must pay VAT, and there is no warranty.

How is their quality? They look a bit tacky to me.
^Generally consistent, however, it's just risky ordering from the US and having no warranty. We've got **** all in terms of decently priced 8 strings so Agile is a good bet. Do your research or even mail Kurt @ Agile for more information.
Quote by Banjocal

+1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bt-RoSzsEKA
as far as the warr guitar thing, those arent designed to be played like a normal guitar. they are build for two handed touch style. yes they are expensive. chapman sticks are another touchstyle intrument you could go with, also expensive. if you want a reasonably priced touchstyle, check out Krappy Guitars. im unsure of their quality control though.

I'd like to back up the previous advice given about getting a 7 or 8 with a longer scale length. sure you can buy a string thick enough to give you the tension you need on a 25.5" scale (or 26.5" on the schecter) but its going to be very bassy and will have very little sharp attack. i dont have any more advice to offer as far as a UKer buying an Agile, but their longer scale lengths (27", 28.625" or 30") would allow you to use a smaller string to acheive the tension you like, and you will get a sharper attack.

i know this has already been addressed by a few intelligent folks, but ill say it anyway. please don't go off giving advice on 7s or 8s if you have no experience with them. they can be and are often used for more than brutal death metal, and the "extreme low end" actually DOESN'T destroy amps/speakers. i mean i wouldn't go to a trumpet forum and attempt to critique someone's form.

7 String+ ERG Legion!!

LTD Snakebyte
Agile AL-727
ESP Horizon
Warmoth Swirled 7
Schecter C-1 Classic
Frankentele
Laney Ironheart 60w + Avatar Cab

Last edited by SYLrules88 at Sep 7, 2010,
Quote by xkreedx
You're probably going to overload your amp with low end.. The processor will handle it most likely but it's going to beat your speaker to death.

Bullshit. People all seem terrified of anything lower than a half step down. Truth is it won't damage anything unless you run it at obnoxiously high volume.

When you use distortion, it compresses your signal enough to basically kill the fundamental of the note, therefore your speaker won't have to worry unless of course you're blasting it beyond reasonable levels.

8 strings are getting popular these days. I'm debating on getting one as well, so have fun it if you do get it. Might wanna take a look at Agile 8 strings from Rondo Music. I've heard they're fantastic. Guitarist in The Tony Danza Tapdance Extravaganza uses one.
Your speaker might flub. When I was doing drop Ab on a 7 string I used to have, it flubbed my speakers. Just depends on what kind they are, etc.

Also, this is just general advice, and I'm really honestly trying not to sound like a dick here; if you write truly heavy music, it'll sound heavy no matter how it's tuned. There are bands that sound just as brutal in E standard as Meshuggah sounds in F. The trick is to write actual brutal music and be able to get the right tones out of your rig.

That being said, I always wanted to be able to go to drop E an octave down. I hope it's cool for you!
Washburn HM Idol w/ SD JB in bridge > Ibanez Weeping Demon > Korg Pitchblack > Digitech Bad Monkey > Boss NS-2 > Boss DD-6 > Egnater Renegade > Splawn 2x12 w/ Weber Sig12Bs

Quote by polishedbullet
Silly kids, this is just a phase you'll go through.

Buy a 7-string and don't waste your money on an 8-string because you want MOAR BR00TAL metalcore. Good luck finding a band to play with that uses 8 strings consistently. /inb4Meshuggah

Deftones are nowadays, and it sounds amazing.
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
I highly recommend if you can just getting a larger scale guitar like a 28". Your string will feel much tighter with small gauge strings. Agile's quality is actually very good. I played a white 727 and it played, felt and was very nice.
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Fryette Sig: X
Randall RM4 /w Modded modules
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
I agree that Deftones get amazing tone from 8 string guitars, however, Steph dosn't use the 8 string all the time, he uses 7 strings a lot more.

I do, however, agree that buying guitars with extra strings and tuning them down really low is just a phaze. It's also not a substitute for being able to write good music. I'm not suggesting anything about anyone personally, just sayin'.

As for the amp, it'll probably be fine, though you should DEFINATLY upgrade your amp before spending that much money on the guitar, 'cause at the end of the day, whatever guitar you have, it's gonna sound like poo through that amp.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
Quote by kylendm
I highly recommend if you can just getting a larger scale guitar like a 28". Your string will feel much tighter with small gauge strings. Agile's quality is actually very good. I played a white 727 and it played, felt and was very nice.

+1

I tune my Agile down and it's 28.625" scale.

Quote by FuzzLove

I do, however, agree that buying guitars with extra strings and tuning them down really low is just a phaze. It's also not a substitute for being able to write good music. I'm not suggesting anything about anyone personally, just sayin'.

Opinions are like assholes....everybody has one and they all stink

Quote by FuzzLove

As for the amp, it'll probably be fine, though you should DEFINATLY upgrade your amp before spending that much money on the guitar, 'cause at the end of the day, whatever guitar you have, it's gonna sound like poo through that amp.

TS:

The spider needs to go...period. I'd consider buying one guitar and upgrading your amp. It's an OK practice amp...and that's about it. It's not going to like the 8-string very well.
Last edited by eyebanez333 at Sep 8, 2010,
Page 1 of 2