I'm looking for a loud and clean amp like a fender but I'm not sure how well they handle active pups and high gain dist. pedals. If anyone knows how well fender amp handle these things please mention it, or if you have an amp suggestion please reply. My budget is under $700 but used is ok. I play mostly slipknot type metal but also play a lot of clean stuff too.
Just remember, we all used to be the kid who tried to play metal with a stratocaster and a line 6 spider amp.
genres? like do you need pristine clean crystal clear clean or are we talking blues and/or crunch that i still fail to see why some people call clean
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
I don't know about the rest of Fender amps, but the Hot Rod/Blues series amps handle pedals really well. The Devilles can get pretty damn loud too.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
from what I am gathering, it sounds like you want to play metal but want to use pedals to achieve your gain tone. A fender amp in that price range will not give you a good metal tone with pedals, no matter how you tweak it. Have you looked into the bugera 6262? That is right in your budget and the cleans are godly. Though it is a metal amp, I use it in an indie rock band and get compliments on my tone all the time.
Quote by Linqua5150
genres? like do you need pristine clean crystal clear clean or are we talking blues and/or crunch that i still fail to see why some people call clean

something like mellow buckethead cleans. Like the intro to soothsayer.
Just remember, we all used to be the kid who tried to play metal with a stratocaster and a line 6 spider amp.
Last edited by 27duuude at Sep 7, 2010,
look for a used laney gh100l or if you like 2 channels a vh100r. GC always has a bunch of gh100s in their used sections it seems they get traded in all the time. i had the vh100r for a period, which is the same as the gh100l just two channels, it will go as clean as you want and still be very loud, and those amps have some of the best distortion ive heard IMO. also you might want to look at the bugera as well, and ill add the JCA 50 and the blackstar ht stage 60 i think it is
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
You know why?
know of any combos. I don't think I have enough money for a cab and a head. I'm only 13 and don't have any way of earning money.
the blackstar i mentioned is a combo, unless its the 40 watt, either way i know there are a few combos in that line. maybe look at the jca2112rc since youre ok with getting your gain with pedals, it has alot of gain for a small amp but if you want ALOT youll need pedals. i have the jca combo so any questions i can pretty much answer for ya
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
You know why?
Quote by Linqua5150
the blackstar i mentioned is a combo, unless its the 40 watt, either way i know there are a few combos in that line. maybe look at the jca2112rc since youre ok with getting your gain with pedals, it has alot of gain for a small amp but if you want ALOT youll need pedals. i have the jca combo so any questions i can pretty much answer for ya

does the jca combo have an output for an extension cab? and how does it handle low tunings like drop A (seven string). Thats about all I can think of what I would need in an amp. I've seen reviews of the 20 watt head but I haven't payed much attention to the combo.
Last edited by 27duuude at Sep 7, 2010,
How bout Egnater?IMO,they sound great.

But my little Fender amp handles metal pretty well,imo.
My Sound Makers
ESP Eclipse II
Epi Les Paul Studio
Fender Blues Jr.
Last edited by Its HypnoToad at Sep 7, 2010,
My Fender takes pedals really well. It has vibrolux and bassman channels, the bassman seems to take them better for the tone I like. There is a high gain "burn" channel but I don't like it much. I use EMG 81 sometimes with it distorted, then clean I use the S. Having a great clean amp and pedals is very versatile.

I still use my 6505 for any high gain stuff 90% of the time though.
Last edited by Tempoe at Sep 7, 2010,
Why choose a amp designed to sound great for clean tones, then distort it with pedals, when you could buy an amp designed to do great distorted tones without pedals?