Hey there. I am currently upgrading my girlfriends Schecter Damien 6.

Right now it has 2 EMG H4 HZ's in it and I want it to have a little better of sound.
I want it to be more like my Synyster custom, but I am not buying the invader sb-108s.

Are the Duncan Designed Detonators hb-108's any good? They are like $30 a piece brand new but the EMGs cost more. The 108s are like the chinese version of the invaders I guess.

Is it a trick in the pricing or are the EMGs actually better?

And incase you would like to know we like to play Avenged Sevenfold stuff so you know what tone we are looking for.

Thanks in advance for any info!
"...upgrading Schecter..."
"...play Avenged Sevenfold..."

A7XSchecter6661...

Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
A line 6, my guitar sounds great through it...I just don't like her pickups. Thats why I am wondering if the cheaper version of mine are any good. They sound great on all the guitar tutorial videos but they are playing through expensive amps so hard for me to know :P
Quote by A7XSchecter6661
Hey there. I am currently upgrading my girlfriends Schecter Damien 6.

Right now it has 2 EMG H4 HZ's in it and I want it to have a little better of sound.
I want it to be more like my Synyster custom, but I am not buying the invader sb-108s.

Are the Duncan Designed Detonators hb-108's any good? They are like $30 a piece brand new but the EMGs cost more. The 108s are like the chinese version of the invaders I guess.

Is it a trick in the pricing or are the EMGs actually better?

And incase you would like to know we like to play Avenged Sevenfold stuff so you know what tone we are looking for.

Thanks in advance for any info!

OK, here are your basic questions that EVERYONE will ask you on UG:
  • What do you NOT like about the stock pickups?
  • How much are you willing to spend?
  • What is your current amp?

As to your questions, no, the HB-108s are no good. I don't like the original (SH-8) much at all, and the Duncan designed version is just a crappier version.

The Active EMGs are MUCH better through a good amp. EMG HZ's are kinda mediocre in general. If you're willing to spend more than $50 on pickups, I'd get a Dimarzio D-Activator set. It should run you about $150.

EDIT: You'd be MUCH better off buying a new amp. Much.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.

A Line 6, so it's a modeling amp. Don't even bother with a pickup change, it will do nothing through a modeler.

EDIT: Yes, seriously, take the advice. Do NOT throw money into new pickups, you're basically throwing it away when playing through that amp. I'm sorry you have to hear it, I've been there, it sucks to hear.

But you'll be better off in the long run, if you take that money and put it towards a new amp.

Guitar -> crap amp = crap tone

Guitar with upgraded p'ups -> crap amp = same crap tone

Guitar -> Better amp = Much upgraded tone
Last edited by TheAbsentOne at Sep 7, 2010,
Quote by TheAbsentOne

A Line 6, so it's a modeling amp. Don't even bother with a pickup change, it will do nothing through a modeler.

I second this. Don't put money towards something just to put money towards something.
LICKY, LICKY LOLLIPOP

Quote by soundjam
Which is why you eat funions. All the deliciousness of fried onions without disgusting lukewarm onion snake.
you're doing it wrong.

sell your line 6, get a tube amp and wampler triple rec
or a vypyr.

there; instant avenged sevenfold tone without the hassle of pickups
No ego-inflating quotes nor stupidly long signatures to be found here.

Move along.

Bands/Artists of the month; Marco Sfogli, Marco Sfogli and Marco Sfogli .

Quote by steve_muse
^lol'd at the sig, adj209
Quote by adj209
you're doing it wrong.

sell your line 6, get a tube amp and wampler triple rec
or a vypyr.

there; instant avenged sevenfold tone without the hassle of pickups

Agreed,
you won't hear any difference in sound with a cheap amp, only the output of the pick ups is mostly noticable.
On playing the Paul Gilbert signature at the guitar store extensively, my missus sighed:
"Put it down now, It's like you love that guitar more than me!"
In Which I replied.
"Well it has got two F-Holes!"
I do plan on buying a better amp very soon, tuition, car insurance and school books got the best of my money though :P

So the hb 108s are of no comparison to the EMGs? Really I just love my invaders and I want something kind of like them in her damien.

I don't like how the EMGs look at all and the guitar is being redone. Just thought I would ask while its all ripped apart :P

Also how much could I get out of a set of EMG H4 HZs on ebay if I decide to upgrade them?
Last edited by A7XSchecter6661 at Sep 7, 2010,
^Dude believe me changing pickups on a modelling amp especially those pickups will have minimal effects. So don't buy them just for the sake of it.

Just be aware that most pickups that are 'Duncan or DiMarzio designed or whatever' are usually junk (since it means jackshit)., most people mistake them for being true branded pickups.

You're much better off saving your money for a better amp.
No ego-inflating quotes nor stupidly long signatures to be found here.

Move along.

Bands/Artists of the month; Marco Sfogli, Marco Sfogli and Marco Sfogli .

Quote by steve_muse
^lol'd at the sig, adj209
Changing pickups will have an effect on sound, modelling amp or not. People need to stop spreading that bullshit. Yes, even with a Spider. Modelling amps model the amp itself, not a guitar.

A better amp will likely serve you better though, depending on what you dislike. If it's just sound, mess with the amp; if it's clarity, a pup swap might help, but you should also try lowering the pickup a little.
Quote by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?

Would you run down past the fence?

Tell us, is the black box lying?
Quote by Pink Muse
Changing pickups will have an effect on sound, modelling amp or not. People need to stop spreading that bullshit. Yes, even with a Spider. Modelling amps model the amp itself, not a guitar.

A better amp will likely serve you better though, depending on what you dislike. If it's just sound, mess with the amp; if it's clarity, a pup swap might help, but you should also try lowering the pickup a little.

This. I can attest to that myself.

BUT it's between two extremes.

new (quality) pickups would make the guitar much clearer, and yes upgrade that aspect of the tone, BUT anything outside of that is in the amp.

If you have a problem with the tone then you should just invest in a new amp, you may even realize that the current pickups aren't that bad through a different amp.
The HZ H4's she has in her guitar at the moment are likely much better than Duncan Designed pickups but not as good as active EMG's or Seymour Duncan's
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join
Quote by GNR4EVER
The HZ H4's she has in her guitar at the moment are likely much better than Duncan Designed pickups but not as good as active EMG's or Seymour Duncan's

Darn I was hoping the detonators (modeled after invader) would have a similar sound to the invaders I have. Because they obviously just have the Avenged Sevenfold sound built into them :P
^no, they really don't. That's all in their $x,000 Bogners.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened

They really do if my guitar sounds extremely similar through my little 15watt line 6 :P
Besides they play marshalls now :P
Quote by oneblackened

Gah, beaten to it.
If you love the way your Invaders sound so much, why don't you just get another set? What's the point of beating around the bush?

In any case, get a new amp first. There's no way that you sound like A7X with that. And why are you running a Syn sig through a Spider? That's just painful.

I think that your ears may still yet be undeveloped. Tone comes from amps, pedals and playing style. The guitar doesn't have a whole lot to do with it at all.

The H4's aren't terrible. There are far better, but they're not terrible. A7X tones can be had with them. Your amp is terrible though, and regardless of if you want to hear it or not, that is your problem, not your guitar.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
You're never going to sound exactly like a given band, and changing pickups in an already low end guitar, running through a low end amp isn't going to do anything but waste money. Avenged Sevenfold aren't exactly anything special when it comes to tone either. Learn how to use your EQ and gain properly. Chances are, you're using way too much gain.