Hey all,
Sorry if this has been asked before, but I'm buying a solo guitar with a floating bridge (a step above strats, yay!), and I'm not exactly and expert in this field. I don't actually know when I can try one out so any feedback is welcome!

The main contenders are Floyd Rose (licenced or original?) and Ibanez Edges.
More specifically, I had these two in mind:
Ibanez Prestige
ESP M-100
... or something to that effect.

Is the Floyd or Ibanez a better investment, or should I go for something different? I have about $600 to burn.
Ibanez Edge, but not the Edge III and certainly not a cheap Edge from an Indonesian or Korean made Ibanez. You're better off buying an older Ibanez with the Lo-pro (my favorite) or something like the Edge Pro, Edge Zero, etc. They all have their differences in feel and everyone has their own opinion so try them out, read about them, and decide yourself.
1998 Ibanez Prestige S2540
2005 Ibanez RG570
Bugera 333XL 212 Combo
Last edited by YngwieLi at Sep 7, 2010,
licensed floyd roses tend to be better than edge trems, and original tend to be the best. That said, if any of them arent set up right, your going to have a LOT of problems staying in tune with heavy whammy usage like divebombs. Make sure you learn everything about how to set up a floating trem bridge before you get one, theres a great setup guide on here.

Other than that its exactly like everything else, get the one you prefer the feel of, try it out and if you like it and it seems to stay in tune fine then get it.
Kahler...

Id go with the ibanez. Ive always had good experiences with Ibanez.
Quote by l3vity
licensed floyd roses tend to be better than edge trems, .

Depends who made them and what edge. My edge zero is better than my LFR jackson, it will flutter well, most LFR don't, at least my jacksons won't.
that's not a prestige ibanez, just so you know.

personally i'd save a bit more money so i could get something with a "good" floyd, either an original OFR or one of the good licensed ones (schaller, gotoh, edge, edge pro etc.)
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
My licenced floyd rose on my kramer pacer classic is better than my ibanez trem. But Original Floyd Roses are better yet.
Quote by l3vity
licensed floyd roses tend to be better than edge trems

The Edge II Pro and Edge 3 yes, but the Original Edge, LoPro, Edge Pro and Edge Zero are some of the best trems ever made. On par with the OFR, if not better.
what about Lo TRS?
My Guitar Rig:

> '09 Ibanez RG1570 Mirage Blue w/ DiMarzio John Petrucci Set
> ESP LTD V-50 Black
> Line 6 POD X3 Live
> Dunlop DB-01 Crybaby From Hell
pos
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
My Lo TRS is doing ok for now, but it's a darnsight less stable than my Edge Pro. The plus side is that it is a direct replacement for an OFR, so next time I have some cash free I'll get a Gotoh put in.
Quote by Kensai
Please, I eat gays for breakfast...

Quote by Kensai
I must be even further in the closet then
O.F.R.s and Kahlers are where it's at.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
Ibby S with ZR can hold it's own against an OFR also. Feels a little different though.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Quote by archenemyfan
inb4ifyousetituprightitllbegoodm

hehe

Quote by Hidden Hippo
My Lo TRS is doing ok for now, but it's a darnsight less stable than my Edge Pro. The plus side is that it is a direct replacement for an OFR, so next time I have some cash free I'll get a Gotoh put in.

just to let you know, if you don't already, the studs are a different size.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
just to let you know, if you don't already, the studs are a different size.

Yup, I'll be letting the local luthier do it - too much mumbo jumbo and stuff to go wrong for me to do it.
Quote by Kensai
Please, I eat gays for breakfast...

Quote by Kensai
I must be even further in the closet then
with that budget you aren`t going to get a new guitar with a decent trem of course the ibanez S series is the exception as the ZR trem is good for the price, the edge 3 has been discussed to death in other threads.

if i were in the same position as you i`d been looking for a used ibanez rg550
Quote by Hidden Hippo
Yup, I'll be letting the local luthier do it - too much mumbo jumbo and stuff to go wrong for me to do it.

no problem, just making sure you knew
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Depends...
I love Edge Pro, ZR, and OFR
Edge III and Licensed FR ehh..
The best non-japanese Ibanez is the hands down the S series.