Page 1 of 2
Hey, i couldn't find any other thread for this so i thought i'd start one!

Anyone watch or planning to watch This is England 86, the spin of tv show from the movie This is England?

I just watched it, and loved it
I was afraid that it might ruin the movies reputation, but its doing it proud! And im glad they managed to keep all the original actors! And to see Milky is still alive!

Anyway, let's discuss!
Never seen the film but I saw the first episode today. It was pretty good, a bit confusing though since I haven't watched the film.
Quote by Duffman123
Never seen the film but I saw the first episode today. It was pretty good, a bit confusing though since I haven't watched the film.

Yeah, same here.
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
crap i missed it, ill have to watch it on 4oD, but glad to hear it hasn't ruined the film
No endeavour rivals science in its incremental progress towards a more complete understanding of the observable universe.
Quote by Duffman123

*SPOILERS* All you really needed to know from the film for that ep was that Lol and Woody were in a relationship, and Shaun saw an NF guy beat up Milky.

/notmuchofaspoiler.

Really enjoyed that episode. Was really good.
I'm glad milky's alive, Shane Meadows done good

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
haha, oh you guys

Yeh, the movie was a little bit more heavy hitting, cos it was all about racism and the national front and stuff, this series seems a bit more lighthearted, but i recommend watching both!

This series seems like itll be more similar to skins, but set in the 80's
I loved the film and I wanted to watch this, but I forgot it was on.
"If God exists, there's no way he is French" - Andrea Pirlo

S A D B O Y S
Didn't watch it, I was out watching the fucking Expendables at the cinema. It was AMAZING and even better whilst on a bit of an alcohol buzz.
Quote by jaybals
haha, oh you guys

Yeh, the movie was a little bit more heavy hitting, cos it was all about racism and the national front and stuff, this series seems a bit more lighthearted, but i recommend watching both!

No it won't.
Combo's coming back, and shit is going to get real.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
Damn you, bodyheatseeker

Quote by Paramore.
bodyheatseeker, I will NEVER forgive you.

Quote by jaybals
haha, oh you guys

Are you trying to put people off it?

Read up about the film on Wiki so I'm all up to date now
I didn't like it. This Is England was huge for me, I don't want to see it ruined. I thought Milky should have died at the end, not because I supported the NF, but because it felt like he had. Until his mother says 'Milky will be alright'. Kind of ruins the impact if Milkys alive and well.

Unless it was symbolism? That you can't kill an innocent? That the spirit of the scene lived in the music, that two-tone mentality, black and white, side by side against Thatcher?

Kinda bullshit, seeing as it's a gritty, honest skinhead film.
Quote by bodyheatseeker
No it won't.
Combo's coming back, and shit is going to get real.

Shits always real with Combo.

Always.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
I liked skins haha, yehh, seeing the trailers im thinking that things are about to go down! OH NOOOO!

this time they better protect milky haha

Quote by PeZ546
Good film, but it annoys me how many racist idiots seem to view it as some kind of bible. Missing the point, much?

Yehhh, i know what you mean, some guy from my high school saw it and became some massive-racist-wannabe-skinhead-cokehead... jeeeez, some people never learn haha, can't we all just get along?
Quote by Chrisiphone
Shits always real with Combo.

Always.

Not when he's falling over during a robbery.
Or making a lame-ass cake.
Or acting like a bitch to NF speakers.
Or spitting on the floor in an attempt to make a line.
Or failing horribly with women.
Or intimidating children with the line 'Tweedledum and Tweedle****ingdee'.
Or apologising to a black man, while continuing a racist story.
It was pretty awesome. Especially 'YOU CAN RUN GINGE, BUT I'M GOING, TO GET YOU... IN A MINUTE'

I assume at the beginning that was leftover footage from the original film, seeing what Shaun looked like. That was great to see. It was a bit like an 80's version of Skins, through some of it, but the film did start pretty fun and campy too.
Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
The series isn't gonna be like Skins, I read an interview with Shane Meadows saying that the first two episodes would just set the scene and reintroduce the characters, then it would get darker.
"If God exists, there's no way he is French" - Andrea Pirlo

S A D B O Y S
Absolutely adored the film. Must have watched it about 15 times

The episode seemed a bit.... contrived?

I'm not sure. Something didn't feel right

Also, it's set in Sheffield (where I go to university), which jarred a bit in my own head, seeing sights etc. Seeing as the first one was set in Grimsby (shot in Nottingham). Almost felt like This Is England go on holiday

Also, significance of the man with the beard (was it Paddy Considine?)? Mate of Combo? Lol's real Dad? God knows

EDIT: wasn't Paddy. Was a guy called Johnny Harris
Last edited by fender_696 at Sep 8, 2010,
Quote by ctfod
It was pretty awesome. Especially 'YOU CAN RUN GINGE, BUT I'M GOING, TO GET YOU... IN A MINUTE'

That guy was hilarious. Hope he has more of a part in it later on.
Quote by UraniYum
Not when he's falling over during a robbery.
Or making a lame-ass cake.
Or acting like a bitch to NF speakers.
Or spitting on the floor in an attempt to make a line.
Or failing horribly with women.
Or intimidating children with the line 'Tweedledum and Tweedle****ingdee'.
Or apologising to a black man, while continuing a racist story.

All that shit was so real.

But also...

So, Lol's tits in the latest episode.
Anyone else pleased by that?
I quite liked the film, I'll see if I can watch the series somehow.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Kensai
I quite liked the film, I'll see if I can watch the series somehow.

It is 4OD, which is Channel 4's on demand thing, but I guess that'll be UK only.

Maybe you could proxyhoodwink it?
Gonna watch the second ep on 4OD now, really enjoyed the first. Surprised there's been less 'Lol, I would, ololol' posts in this thread.
Looking to buy a Fender Jagstang, u sellin?
I'd rather have Kelly. Or that redhead one that's always wearing the Fred Perry polos.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Quote by Trowzaa
I'd rather have Kelly. Or that redhead one that's always wearing the Fred Perry polos.

I've got an odd crush on Lol.

2nd ep was WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too Skinsy, Combo can't get back fast enough.

And as far as I can work out, only alright actors in it are Thomas Turgoose (Shaun) and Vicky McClure (Lol), and Milky's acted OK sometimes. Rest ofthem are like "If I stick an accent on constantly, body language and voice tone won't matter!".
Quote by TEK34
I've got an odd crush on Lol.

2nd ep was WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too Skinsy, Combo can't get back fast enough.

And as far as I can work out, only alright actors in it are Thomas Turgoose (Shaun) and Vicky McClure (Lol), and Milky's acted OK sometimes. Rest ofthem are like "If I stick an accent on constantly, body language and voice tone won't matter!".

Woody's just amazing though. I wish I was Woody.

Loved the film and the series is alright. Better than whatever other shite is on atm.

Milky is a terrible actor though
My opinion is a loud, monotonous "Meh"

It's good in some ways but just slow in the other.
Last nights episode made me O.o irl when shaun finds out who his mum is sleeping with and he just goes on about this big rant about.. something and then pulls a massive strop and runs away from home.
I stood before the glittery borders of new radius In search of the fabled city of mud and crushed velvet, What I found was a gutter where the love of entertainment Meets the lust for blood and demerits.
Well, first two episodes have set it up pretty well. Time for sh*t to go down.
It's gonna be a blue day
yehh, im waitng for it all to fall apart!
the whole lol-woody-milky beef will kick off soon

I quite like the actors, but youre right about woody, he doesnt seem real, hes very devoid of emotions, even towards lol

i think the whole bit of Shaun finding his mum and the shop keeper was quite key, cos he says its not that he's coloured, so that shows hes not a racist lil skinhead anymore! But maybe thatll change now :S
Quote by TEK34
He has no emotions.

I just want his accent.

I think that woody appears emotionless is sort of the point. His little angry tapping on his computer when lol walks out isn't angry but badly acted, that was just showing how tightly he ties down his feelings.
Page 1 of 2