im going to swap the pickups out of my jackson rhodes to SD jb/jazz combo, i was going to do it myself wen i had a look at the wiring, and looks a bit complicated

but instead of rewiring the whole thing, would it be possible to just cut the wires from the old pickups and connect them straight into the new ones without rewiring the whole lot?

or does it have to completely rewired?

(and yes i kno i need to upgrade my amp, im trying to)
Gear
Epi Goth Explorer
Schecter Demon 7
Jackson JS30 Rhodes (modded)
Line 6 POD HD500
Roland Cube 60
Last edited by MetalManForLife at Sep 7, 2010,
Ultimately, you have to re-wire the whole thing with the wires coming from the new pickups. It's best left done to a guitar tech, or somone down at your local music store if you don't have any experience with it.

and just a thought; Why put jazz pickup in a metal guitar? I'd put the Sd's in the epi, and throw some hot DiMarzio's into the Rhoades to kick it up a notch
How many guitar players does it take to change a light bulb?

Twelve. One to change the bulb and eleven to say they could do it better.

Shouldn't this be in the guitar modification thread?
Quote by Athabasca
My ex did the same. Cheated on me and then acted like I'd given her sister a facial. Women are retarded.
ya thats a bad idea cuz (unless if you KNOW that the pots are the right ratings i.e. 25k). usually when u buy new pick-ups the include the right pots.
-------------------------------------------------
facebook.com/thesedrowningtides
youtube.com/thesedrowningtides
-------------------------------------------------
Whatever you do, don't cut anything. Just unsolder the points, and resolder the new wires from the new pickups in.

But now I have some personal advice for you - don't upgrade your JS with SD pickups. For the price you pay for them, it would be a lot more worthwhile to just save up for a used RR3. I've seen them go pretty cheap, like $250.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by NickGiovanni
Why put jazz pickup in a metal guitar? I'd put the Sd's in the epi, and throw some hot DiMarzio's into the Rhoades to kick it up a notch

I dunno, Dave Mustaine and Marty Friedman did it for years. Megadeth did pretty well IIRC....

Also, I tried DiMarzios in a Charvel against SD's in a Jackson DK2 (which I bought), and the Dimarzio's sounded absurdly weak. Like, I think it might actually have been wired wrong, but the guy at the store said they're all like that, so that's my 2 cents.
Quote by Offworld92
Whatever you do, don't cut anything. Just unsolder the points, and resolder the new wires from the new pickups in.

But now I have some personal advice for you - don't upgrade your JS with SD pickups. For the price you pay for them, it would be a lot more worthwhile to just save up for a used RR3. I've seen them go pretty cheap, like $250.

the RR3 is nice, but i dont want a floyd rose or anything like that, plus finding used jackson guitars in aus isnt easy, very hard to find, and the cheapest ive ever seen a used jackson guitar was a RR24 with SD Blackouts going for $800aus ($730usd) and buying them brand new isnt any better, the RR3 start at $1700aus ($1500usd)

plus the pickups are roughly $300 for the JB/Jazz combo
Gear
Epi Goth Explorer
Schecter Demon 7
Line 6 POD HD500
Roland Cube 60
Quote by MetalManForLife
the RR3 is nice, but i dont want a floyd rose or anything like that, plus finding used jackson guitars in aus isnt easy, very hard to find, and the cheapest ive ever seen a used jackson guitar was a RR24 with SD Blackouts going for $800aus ($730usd) and buying them brand new isnt any better, the RR3 start at $1700aus ($1500usd)

plus the pickups are roughly $300 for the JB/Jazz combo

Buy an RR3 or similar and block the trem. RR3's go for alot less then 1700AUD, Allans in Melbourne had one for $1300, and Billy Hyde used to have them listed online as $800-1000. You can get a KE3 or a DK2 for a similar price. Last time I went to allans they had about 4 red swirl KE3's for $1250-1500
Quote by Ali-b912
Buy an RR3 or similar and block the trem. RR3's go for alot less then 1700AUD, Allans in Melbourne had one for $1300, and Billy Hyde used to have them listed online as $800-1000. You can get a KE3 or a DK2 for a similar price. Last time I went to allans they had about 4 red swirl KE3's for $1250-1500

good ideas but i dont have 1500 to spend lol, easier to just change what i got
Gear
Epi Goth Explorer
Schecter Demon 7
Line 6 POD HD500
Roland Cube 60