I currently have a Twin Reverb Reissue and am looking to trade it in for a lower power tube amp. I absolutely love the sound of a Twin Reverb and the cleans are amazing, but its just too loud. And it dosen't sound nearly as good with the volume at 1.5 or 2 all the time. And with pedals at that volume, the sound kind of turns real muddy, which makes my pedals useless. But, I love the voicing of this amp. So, im looking for amp that is similar sounding to the twin reverb, but lower power, so I can also get some tube overdrive as well as clean as well as some "warmer" cleans. Natural tube overdrive on the twin reverb is near impossible and it is harsh. I play mostly blues, some country, and some classic rock and I have an SRV strat. As of right now, the Deluxe Reverb RI is looking very favorable to me, along with the plus of being much lighter. Although im also looking at the Super Reverb RI and Bassman RI, im partial to the Blackface sound, so the Bassman, although I love the sound of them, im partial to the Blackface amps. I am also considering the DR because it has a 12" speaker versus the 10" speakers of the Super Reverb.
Thanks-
Last edited by asdaven at Sep 7, 2010,
You might like the Super-sonic, it has a bassman and vibrolux channel, plus a high gain "burn" channel that you may like. They are expensive though, I got mine used very cheap so that's why I bought it really. 60w it's still pretty damn loud though.
I am leaning towards the Deluxe Reverb. I guess my main question is, what sounds closer to a twin reverb, but with just less power, a Super Reverb or Deluxe Reverb?
Thanks-
Probably the super honestly, but the super will sound better.

It's not going to break up much sooner than the twin. but some.

Also some of the best lows i've ever heard have been through a 2x10 fender. don't be dissin' the 10"s.

try the custom vibrolux reverb. at 35 watts, it's going to get some break up at band volume, but have more headroom than the deluxe.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
The Custom Vibrolux has a solid state rectifier, which is one thing I didin't like about the twin. The Super and Deluxe offer a tube rectifier, which creates natural compression. I have heard the Deluxe, even though 22 watts, is fine for small to medium sized gigs and thats all im doing, in addition to being played in my house most of the time.
Quote by asdaven
The Custom Vibrolux has a solid state rectifier, which is one thing I didin't like about the twin. The Super and Deluxe offer a tube rectifier, which creates natural compression. I have heard the Deluxe, even though 22 watts, is fine for small to medium sized gigs and thats all im doing, in addition to being played in my house most of the time.

in this case you should try a princeton ri as well. both should do what you want very well.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Those are fine amplifiers you are considering, but the fact is that none of them is going to be a smaller and more manageable version of a Twin Reverb. If that is what you are looking for, then I think you will be disappointed.

How about the Jet City 5212?

http://www.jetcityamplification.com/amplifiers/jca5212rc/
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
The Princeton Reverb is too small. I don't want to go any smaller than a Deluxe Reverb. I think the Super Reverb may even still be too powerful because the Twin Reverb is wayyyy too powerful for my purposes. Plus, I can get more breakup and warmth from the amp with a Deluxe Reverb at more manageable volumes, which is what im looking for it and it will clean up nicely when I roll back the volume knob on the guitar. I played both a Deluxe Reverb and Super Reverb today and compared them to the Twin Reverb. And I must say the Deluxe Reverb is more along the lines of a Twin Reverb. The Super Reverb is much more brighter because of the 10" speakers. However, the Super gives that more fuller sound due to multiple speakers versus the single speaker Deluxe. However, I think I fell in love with the Deluxe.
Quote by FatalGear41
Those are fine amplifiers you are considering, but the fact is that none of them is going to be a smaller and more manageable version of a Twin Reverb. If that is what you are looking for, then I think you will be disappointed.

How about the Jet City 5212?

http://www.jetcityamplification.com/amplifiers/jca5212rc/

they sure has hell are going to get him closer to the Twin sound than that Jet City amp.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
The Deluxe Reverb sounds like the amp for me and a really good value. I would buy way before any of the Hot Rod stuff, even if its less power. I may add a Bassman or a Peavey Classic 50 to my setup down the road. But, for now, I don't need a lot of power. The deluxe should get loud enough and I can get some warmth from it that I can't get from a twin reverb.