I'm looking for a music college to go to, one that offers composition, and band teaching. So far the only one I've found is Shenondoah University, which I can't afford at nearly 40,000 a year. My guidance counselor wants at least 5 colleges that I've applied to by thanksgiving. Anyone know of any colleges that offer composition and band teaching, and if nothing else then just composition? >.<
To be honest, I can't think of a good music school that doesn't offer both composition and music education.

Where do you live?
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
I currently live on the Eastern Shore of Virginia. I know of Shenondoah like I said, and I've heard Berklee is insanely hard to get into, and also really expensive
I used to want to go to music college, but then I decided "f*ck it." It just seemed like more trouble than it's worth. Good, affordable music colleges seem to be few and far between, and they all seem to have a bunch of stupid prerequisites, like you have to have this many years of formal training, sight-read this, know these scales, bla bla bla... Plus, I really doubted I'd fit in at a place like that, and it never really seemed like a music degree would carry much weight. Decided to go with my other love and pursue a career in the automotive maintenance industry.

Besides, if I ever made money in the music industry, I'd want it to be playing in a band, living on the road and all that good stuff. Being a session musician or something like that never really appealed to me.

Sorry, I know I'm not being much help, just thought I'd give you the rundown from my point of view.
Quote by CaptDin
sight-read this, know these scales,
I'd hardly call those "stupid prerequisites." Those are essentials for a formal music education.

And yeah TS, Berklee is pretty expensive.

Check out Temple. You would have to pay out-of-state tuition, but it's still probably only a few hours away.

Also, don't overlook the opportunity to apply to less affordable private schools, there could be a chance you could get some sort of financial aid.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Go to community college first. It's a lot better IMO than a University.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
I to would like to do this, but I just don't know what having a music degree would get me.
Slappa tha bass
Plenty of schools offer composition and music education majors...

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
http://new.oberlin.edu/conservatory/

Not sure if it offers composition, but two seniors from my band class last year are going there, and my guidance counselor was strongly recommending this school to me when we were discussing colleges.

EDIT: It does offer composition classes. You should definitely check this place out. From what I've heard, it's awesome minus the fact that it's in Ohio.
Last edited by Okeefe Is Legit at Sep 7, 2010,
In Virginia, I know VCU has a very good arts program with a very reputation for music. Hell, Sam Beam, the artist known as Iron and Wine, is a professor there. Don't pidgeon-hole yourself and rule out schools just because they don't have a certain major vecuase more likely than not, you're not going to stick with just one. Be open minded and make sure you REALLY want to make a career out of music if that's what your major is going to be.
DON'T HIRE RON WILSON
Last edited by suckmahnuts at Sep 7, 2010,
A good friend of mine is going to Belmont University with a music industry major. He wants to be a rock star (who doesn't?). Anyways, he told me that it's an amazing college for anything music related. They help you get connections to the music industry without having to beg them to listen to your demo tape.
Quote by rgrockr
Go to community college first. It's a lot better IMO than a University.
How? Definitely not for music.

Btw, University of Wisconsin -- River Falls has a good music program I've heard.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Sep 7, 2010,
My very own University of Illinois has a good music program. Go here. It's where my band director in high school got her master's degree.
Call me Jack.
All that you love...
...you must love now.
My Gear:
PRS Custom 24
Standard MIM Tele
Larrivée LV-09E
Rivera Clubster 45 112 Combo Tube
Boss ME-20 Multi-effects pedal
Boss OC-3 Super octave pedal
My own home-made octave-up pedal
Quote by hootie37
I to would like to do this, but I just don't know what having a music degree would get me.

It would get ya homeless, and fast!
MATTERHORN
Quote by Okeefe Is Legit
http://new.oberlin.edu/conservatory/

Not sure if it offers composition, but two seniors from my band class last year are going there, and my guidance counselor was strongly recommending this school to me when we were discussing colleges.

EDIT: It does offer composition classes. You should definitely check this place out. From what I've heard, it's awesome minus the fact that it's in Ohio.

I'm at Oberlin.

I'm living in a co-op, last night I had a nasty-sweet jam with my various dormmates, I just got back from walking around dressed as a Viking in order to declare war on another dorm, and I have an audition on trombone for the college orchestra tomorrow.

COME HERE.