Because i've heard of Reason,but it costs $400,so i want something a little cheaper.
most if not all software designed for making electronic music is decently pricey, from what i've found. sometimes you can find used copies of stuff, but eh. That being said, most of the people i see who mainly dabble use FL Studio.
Quote by SinSyringe
fl studio

Except FL Studio sucks. It comes with some nice synths, but most people just use the presets and make music that all sounds the same. I don't really like the sequencer, either.

If you want something cheap, get Reaper. It's free at first, and then it's $50 after the evaluation period, although I've heard it just gives you a nag screen and you can really use it for free as long as you want. >_>

Although I like Reason. Not as much as I like Ableton Live, but it's a pretty well-rounded program as long as you aren't working with audio.

Also, I really hope you don't mean trance when you say techno. Because techno is cool, while trance (at least mainstream trance that most people who aren't too familiar with electronic music call "techno") isn't. Except for Goa and psy. Those are cool.
Last edited by Holy Katana at Sep 7, 2010,
Quote by Holy Katana
Except FL Studio sucks. It comes with some nice synths, but most people just use the presets and make music that all sounds the same. I don't really like the sequencer, either.

If you want something cheap, get Reaper. It's free at first, and then it's $50 after the evaluation period, although I've heard it just gives you a nag screen and you can really use it for free as long as you want. >_>

Although I like Reason. Not as much as I like Ableton Live, but it's a pretty well-rounded program as long as you aren't working with audio.

Also, I really hope you don't mean trance when you say techno. Because techno is cool, while trance (at least mainstream trance that most people who aren't too familiar with electronic music call "techno") isn't. Except for Goa and psy. Those are cool.

So... in short, which one should a newbie get?!

Quote by Holy Katana

Hater. Quit listening to progressive trance and shit gets real, real quick. Go bias the nubs against my favorite genre elsewhere.

TS: FFS don't get FL, you'll end up making fruityloopscore and thinking it's Godlike like half the other dance music nubs.
1. Electronic Label Thread.
2. Techno & Dance Thread.

Both will get you proper oriented with software and real genre names.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Reason is really newbie-friendly, especially if you're already a musician, since it's designed to be like rack gear, but there's the cost issue. FL Studio is also pretty newbie-friendly, with the advantage of being fairly inexpensive, but I don't like it.

I have no experience with Reaper outside what the people in the UG Electronic Thread have told me. I'm pretty sure it has more of a learning curve, and it doesn't come with many plugins, so you'll have to hit up KVR for free VST synths and effects, but I'm more likely to get behind Reaper than I am FL Studio, so I'm going to say Reaper.
Deffo Reaper over FL Studio, though if you're like me you'll find yourself still wishing you had more out of your DAW because Reaper isn't very stable. Crashes on me pretty often. And HK is quite right about the infinite trial period, and about the no plugins. The few it comes with are pretty awful (ReaEQ and ReaFir are both quite useful and good but the rest are not IMO).

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by SteveHouse
Deffo Reaper over FL Studio, though if you're like me you'll find yourself still wishing you had more out of your DAW because Reaper isn't very stable. Crashes on me pretty often. And HK is quite right about the infinite trial period, and about the no plugins. The few it comes with are pretty awful (ReaEQ and ReaFir are both quite useful and good but the rest are not IMO).

Works fine for me

As for newbie friendly, there's a synth I like called Surge. It'll run you about 100 bucks, which is about half of what you'll get for anything else. Grab some drum samples and you're basically set.

Surge's interface is pretty intuitive once you figure out what everything does and the presets are actually good. I used a demo version of it for the bassline and most of the leads on Let Me Hear You (on my profile). Also: Kore 2 Player, Kontakt 4 Player, Reaktor 5 Player are all free downloads and have impressive sound libraries. Kore 2 is the easiest to get started on.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
There are plenty of noob-friendly synths that are free. I generally don't download them unless they get rated really high, since I'm not a noob to synths at all, but they're definitely there.
Last edited by Holy Katana at Sep 7, 2010,
FL sucks. I use Reason. Expensive like but my brother's doing sound enginerring at uni so he got it for free.
Quote by FrustratedRocka
Works fine for me

I should clarify.

Reaper on Mac = works.
Reaper on PC = unstable.

Also +1 to anything NI wants to give us for free

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by Holy Katana

What are you talking about? Trance IS MDMA. No other genre comes close to provoking the emotions trance does under the effects of MDMA. Also, the repetitiveness of simple beats at a nice dance tempo makes any drug high so much more fun. Also, trance is a bit less predictable than other electronic music genres. Yes, the buildups are obviously leading to something, but you never know what that something is. But I agree that most trance sucks these days. However, I feel that almost all genres of music are lacking these days, not just trance.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by NothingRocks
I don't get the hate for FL Studio. It's way better than Reason in my opinion.

I've been messing around with Reason for a couple of years now, my mate recommended FL and I had it for about a day before I uninstalled it, I thought it was terrible.
I use Logic Pro. But that's just me. Woo for audio engineering!
Call me Jack.
All that you love...
...you must love now.
My Gear:
PRS Custom 24
Standard MIM Tele
Larrivée LV-09E
Rivera Clubster 45 112 Combo Tube
Boss ME-20 Multi-effects pedal
Boss OC-3 Super octave pedal
My own home-made octave-up pedal
Quote by Axelfox
Because i've heard of Reason,but it costs $400,so i want something a little cheaper.

Go to the music dept. in your school and see if they have any software; they should be able to copy the disc for you. That's how I got my copy of Reason for free.
MATTERHORN