So I've been asking around UG because I have been allocated some money to grab a new rig after 6 years of pain. I've already partially decided on a guitar, it has a mahogany body and EMG actives. I doubt I'll go with anything else, if I decide to, it'll be a mid-range Ibanez with the INF pickups or whatever they are, or an LTD with EMGs.

I play a wide variety of music, but my main style is modern metal/core, Lamb of God, Parkway Drive, Whitechapel, etc. From my questions, I've concluded that the 6505+ 112 combo is pretty good. I haven't had the opportunity to try it out for myself, because the local GC doesn't have it on display. I've also concluded that it has enough balls to play my styles.

My question is
, can I make this amp quiet? I don't gig at all, unless someone coming into my room, seeing my guitar, and saying "play something!" is gigging. I'd appreciate if the amp was able to sound good during an occasion like this, without blasting my face off. Correct me if I'm wrong, but from my knowledge, tube amps only shine when the volume is pumped, which is something I can't do while other people are around. I only blast my volume when nobody else is around.

And before anyone recommends getting a modeling amp like a Line 6 or Vypyr, (as if anyone here would...) I think they sound like crap. I spent a pretty long time trying to get a nice sound out of a Spider and no matter what I did, I couldn't.

-waits for people to say GET A JET CITY/BLACKSTAR/BUGERA...-
Last edited by Aturaya at Sep 7, 2010,
They don't "only" sound good with the tubes jacked, they just sound better. Only crappy tube amps will sound bad at a low volume.

With a combo it's not as easy, but an attenuator is the classic choice. You can also remove tubes, but I don't remember which section, and it'd likely affect tone.

Now, why are you wanting to get a 60 watt tube amp for bedroom use? Spiders are bad but Vypyrs are pretty decent for practicing, and there are lots of lower-wattage tube amps that would serve you far better.
Quote by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?

Would you run down past the fence?

Tell us, is the black box lying?
Well, I don't know of any others tube amps that will provide enough balls. I rely on this forum a lot, and since every review on the internet gives everything 5/5 or 10/10, I can't really judge it.

And like I've said, I spent a pretty long time pissing around with a Vypyr 100, and I couldn't get something good out of it. I'm picky.

If anyone could suggest a lower wattage tube amp that still provides the balls I need, I'd love it. It's just that it seems like every other post on here is biased. PEAVEY SUCKS. GET BUGERA. BUGERA SUCKS, GET A JET CITY. JET CITY SUCKS, GET A BLACKSTAR.
Quote by Aturaya
Well, I don't know of any others tube amps that will provide enough balls. I rely on this forum a lot, and since every review on the internet gives everything 5/5 or 10/10, I can't really judge it.

And like I've said, I spent a pretty long time pissing around with a Vypyr 100, and I couldn't get something good out of it. I'm picky.

If anyone could suggest a lower wattage tube amp that still provides the balls I need, I'd love it. It's just that it seems like every other post on here is biased. PEAVEY SUCKS. GET BUGERA. BUGERA SUCKS, GET A JET CITY. JET CITY SUCKS, GET A BLACKSTAR.

People are picky, people bandwagon, people repeat what they've just heard.

I'm not saying the 6505 is bad, I'd have bought it if I liked the sound, and the combo is a good product as well. But you're overkilling for just bedroom use. Hearing loss sucks, and the cops don't like getting called on it. I wore shop headphones and had my Marshall in the basement and still could only crank it a few times a month.

The Orange Tiny Terror comes in a head and 1x12 combo. It also has variable wattage on the head, don't remember about the combo. They sound great, and can go to 7 watts if 15 is too much. Just don't expect a cheaper Marshall; a lot of people buy into them thinking they're getting that, and are disappointed. Plus, with a head/cab, you can put an attenuator if 7 watts is still too loud for you cranked up.
Quote by Wisthekiller

I'll slap a flamesheild on here before anything bad happens.. *flameshield*

I would really recommend the Blackstar HT-5 for a small tube combo.. Not trying to jump on the bandwagon or anything, but I play similar stuff and the amp sounds great (to me), and if any more grit to my tone, I use my Bad Monkey OD.

Having an EQ also REALLY helps shape it the way you want..

Maybe you won't like it though, try to play one. It's 5 watts, so it's perfect for bedroom.. Plus it has a headphone jack.
The Tiny Terror would be a good option, but I'd have to buy a cab as well. That's pushing the budget.

I think it's worth mentioning that I've been playing on a starter kit for 6 years, so..Even a vypyr or line 6 is a sliiiight improvement. It's probably also worth mentioning that I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to amps. Not as much as this idiot salesman at GC who plugged me into some low end Marshall Combos and expected me to be satisfied with the gain, after I CLEARLY stated that I play metalcore.

I might HAVE to go with the Vypyr. My price range is around $600, with a little leeway. I'd be able to get a Vypyr with the Sanpera II. I'm just striving to get the best sound I can, because I highly doubt I'll be getting anything new for quite a while. GC DOES have that 30-day return policy though..
Quote by TheAbsentOne
I'll slap a flamesheild on here before anything bad happens.. *flameshield*

I would really recommend the Blackstar HT-5 for a small tube combo.. Not trying to jump on the bandwagon or anything, but I play similar stuff and the amp sounds great (to me), and if any more grit to my tone, I use my Bad Monkey OD.

Having an EQ also REALLY helps shape it the way you want..

Maybe you won't like it though, try to play one. It's 5 watts, so it's perfect for bedroom.. Plus it has a headphone jack.

Don't worry, I'm not gonna flame you or anything. :P

From what I know the Blackstar has beautiful cleans, and I've looked at it a lot. I play cleans sometimes, and I guess I could throw a nice distortion pedal before it to get a good metal tone. The thing is, the local GC doesn't allow us to test pedals. They're all locked up, so I'd be jumping into murky water.

Or I could get the head + a cab, to boost my self esteem. I don't think that's very practical, though.
Last edited by Aturaya at Sep 7, 2010,
You mentioned you didn't want a modelling amp, and talked about a Spider. This forum tends to overhype Vypyrs, but not by much- they're really great, and have a lot of options for players of all levels. If you go used you can get a Vypyr 30 and Sanpera II for under $300 easy. There was a Vypyr 75 with Sanpera II on Guitar Center's used online listings for $250 that I almost bought, and a Vypyr 75 with Sanpera I for $225.
Quote by Wisthekiller

Quote by Aturaya
Don't worry, I'm not gonna flame you or anything. :P

From what I know the Blackstar has nice cleans, and I've looked at it a lot. I play cleans sometimes, and I guess I could throw a nice distortion pedal before it to get a good metal tone. The thing is, the local GC doesn't allow us to test pedals. They're all locked up, so I'd be jumping into murky water.

Your GC is just like my Daddy's Junky, can't test pedals, and the only amps that have around are Spiders, MG's, and sometimes Vypers. I walked in there the other day, sometime last week, they had a BUNCH of Blackstars, a 6505, everything you can think of that would be amazing.. "Floor Model - Not Available For Testing" sign on every one. I'm assuming they think people will break them, or fry the tubes or something. I don't honestly blame them but COME ON.

So I was in the same situation (Sort of) I ended up having to judge my purchases on YouTube videos (UGH) and what everyone here on U.G. said. In the end, I was very happy with my HT-5 and my EQ and OD pedals.

It was really a "Hope for the best.." kind of thing.
Quote by TheAbsentOne
Your GC is just like my Daddy's Junky, can't test pedals, and the only amps that have around are Spiders, MG's, and sometimes Vypers. I walked in there the other day, sometime last week, they had a BUNCH of Blackstars, a 6505, everything you can think of that would be amazing.. "Floor Model - Not Available For Testing" sign on every one. I'm assuming they think people will break them, or fry the tubes or something. I don't honestly blame them but COME ON.

So I was in the same situation (Sort of) I ended up having to judge my purchases on YouTube videos (UGH) and what everyone here on U.G. said. In the end, I was very happy with my HT-5 and my EQ and OD pedals.

Yeah, I've attempted to judge my decisions based on youtube videos. All of the videos were useless. I might try out the HT-5 with some distortion pedal. I'd have to play the game of GC's 30-day return policy, but I guess it's worth it.
Quote by TheAbsentOne

Dude, the Boston Daddy's is OK as far as amps go... no pedals though. It's stupid.

This is why my business is now going to guitar center.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.