I've been mainly using: about.com and I'm around lesson 5. Do you think it's descriptive enough or would you recommend something else?

I also go around on Songsterr to find out tabs and of course use Youtube whenever I'm curious about something and now that I've found this site, I've been checking out all the stickies and such.
I read a shitload of Guitar World columns, learned techniques from songs, and learned music theory from high school music class, then proceeded to go to libraries and self-educate on the topic.

It's really not that hard to just go to a library and read books.
Q: Favourite Pink Floyd song?
A: The one where they get wicked high and play Emin and A for an hour.
My technique is self taught, but my knowledge of music is not. I had already been a musician for years before I started playing guitar.

I do regret not taking lessons. I feel like I have a few bad habits that hold me back.

Thats the benefit of lessons, having someone who knows what their doing to point out bad technique before it becomes a bad habit.
"Swords, nature's hell sticks."- Trip Fisk
I'm not saying it's the best way by all means, but I learnt by finding tabs of the songs I like and learning to play bits here and there. And after a while I moved on to more complicated stuff and so on. I did try the lessons around the internet and in books and such, but I found it was more enjoyable to find my own way round. I highly recommend finding some warm up excercises to practice constantly. I wish I had done that at first to increase my finger speed, dexterity and picking speed, I probably would have progressed far quicker. Oh, and youtube lessons, it helps when you can see how someone else plays it so you have a rough idea or a guidline for what you do yourself.

Just saying that's how I found easiest, trying to be all organised and proper about it isn't always the best way.
i really learned all i know from UG.
thanks dudes

o , i also got the Speed kills videos
Quote by soXlittleXtimeX
^
shanchett, you get an E for Effort

Quote by CodChick

ROFLLOBSTER
Quote by mtforever
My technique is self taught, but my knowledge of music is not. I had already been a musician for years before I started playing guitar.

I do regret not taking lessons. I feel like I have a few bad habits that hold me back.

Thats the benefit of lessons, having someone who knows what their doing to point out bad technique before it becomes a bad habit.

Yeah I try to watch videos of good players on Youtube and see if my playstyle is messing with anything. I'm too new to really notice a lot about it myself and most is just my massive inexperience. Hard to tell if you have bad habits when you've barely played eh?

I try to check that I'm never doing any of the "Bad habits" most people have made lists for for guitarists.
Last edited by BananaMartyr at Sep 7, 2010,
I started out with the time-honored practice of copping licks and techniques from playing friends, and also working from any number of basic instructional books. Most all my friends were self-taught as well, and I quickly learned from a lot of reading that a lot of them were more limited than I would have thought.
I subscribed to Guitar Player for about 10 years, and it was worth every penny. Not only lots of instructional material in each issue, but interviews (in-depth) with literally all the famous pickers around.
When I started, there was no internet, no DVDs, no YouTube, no clever teaching software...The stuff available now is amazing.
DVD's, Guitar World, UG (duh). Playing only what I wanted to learn
Too Many Religious People And Not Enough Lions