Hey all, I've been looking to upgrade from my Peavey Vypyr 15W, and have about $300 to spend. I play pretty much everything, but mostly moderately to heavily distorted types of tones. (I will be willing to buy a nice distortion pedal along with the amp if needed) I do love to mess around with effects, but this isn't necessary if it isn't worth it.

Anyways, since I know close to nothing about amps, I want one that will play nice hi-gain tones, without too much "hum" in the background. I must be able to play over some non amplified drums, because I own a set and jam out with a friend now and then.

I have been playing guitar for under a year, and currently own a Epiphone SG Special. I have a list of amps here within $300, so go ahead and give any new amp suggestions, and explain why you like one more than the other.

These are just some amps I found off of Guitar Center that look nice:

Peavey Bandit 112
Rocktron V50D Velocity
Raven RG100 100W
Behringer V-Tone GMX212
Vox Valvetronix VT30
Fender Super-Champ XD
Crate FlexWave FW65
Orange PiX CR35LDX

Feel free to recommend whatever, and remember I'll buy a distortion pedal if I need to for the tone I want.
Last edited by Zerrox at Sep 7, 2010,
your vypyr is better than everything on that list.

with 300, except for a killer deal on a used amp, you'd more likely be downgrading.
Upgrade to a 75watt Vypyr

That's your best bet.

OR

Save up for a nice tube combo amp
Last edited by andrew.whocares at Sep 7, 2010,
Aren't the Vox and Fender Tube? And how in the world would this be a downgrade from a 15W Peavey Vypyr? Plus I'm kinda planning on keeping my Peavey so why get a louder one...
Yeah, Your Vypr pretty much kills everything else. But, if you insist on getting a Hi-Gain sound; Many 80's metal guys used Randall amps, check out a Randall combo.

If you want just straight up metal? Then experiment in a Sam Ashe/guitar center to find the amp that suits your personal tastes
How many guitar players does it take to change a light bulb?

Twelve. One to change the bulb and eleven to say they could do it better.

The Vox and Fender are pretty much lateral moves. Don't bother. If I were you I'd save for a little more and just get one of the tube Vypyrs with the footswitch. Use that for gigging/jamming with drums and use the 15 for quiet practice. I'm only saying this because it seems like you like modeling amps. If you want a straight up tube amp, search for a used Classic 30 by Peavey.
Quote by Zerrox
Aren't the Vox and Fender Tube? And how in the world would this be a downgrade from a 15W Peavey Vypyr? Plus I'm kinda planning on keeping my Peavey so why get a louder one...

the fender is, yes. but for moderate to high gain, youd be going in the complete wrong direction. i know you said youd be willing to buy a pedal, but with that budget, theres no reason to get another amp.

300 is still a low end practice amp budget. you picked one of the best low end practice amps. so itd be hard to upgrade unless you up the budget (maybe by selling the vypyr as well?)
I paid $300 for my Fender,no complaints on my part.

and the super XD is a hybrid.
My Sound Makers
ESP Eclipse II
Epi Les Paul Studio
Fender Blues Jr.
Last edited by Its HypnoToad at Sep 7, 2010,
Well like I said, the effects don't need to be taken into any consideration, and wont the Tube in the Super Champ give way better tone? BTW check this video out, this guy's is doing a cover on the Super Champ, without any pedals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuMqc5OK_GM

Still, I'm kinda surprised that my Peavey is so well matched to these amps... I guess
Sell your amp then buy a used 60 or 75 watt Vypyr and a Sanpera II foot controller.

Well like I said, the effects don't need to be taken into any consideration, and wont the Tube in the Super Champ give way better tone?

Not especially. I’m just going to piss off all the tube snobs and say it: low-end tube gear is very overrated. If you really want to mess with tube tone keep it simple and just get a used Fender Champ; they’re cheap and they sound incredible. But no matter what overdrive pedal you use to make a low-end tube amp sound like the big ones they still just sounds like a low-end amp with an overdrive.
Wow that foot controller is way to expensive! Anyways how about a used Tube Combo Amp? I've seen some that look ok for $300 used. Peavey Valve King 112 any good? There is also Peavey Vypyr 60W Tube, and actually a marshall combo tube around too, but I don't remeber what it is called. Feel free to reccomend any others

I have heard that Vox makes incredible high end Tube Combos, which is why I thought the low end stuff would sound good too. Oh, and what's wrong with something that sounds like a low end tube that's got an OD on it? That is what it is isn't it? :P
Last edited by Zerrox at Sep 8, 2010,
I'd say the Vox VT is slightly better than the Vypyr, but not enough to bother buying it. Everything else on that list is a downgrade from what you already have.

You should definatly look on ebay/craigslist/local ads/whatever, for a used tube amp of sorts.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
The vt30 will make you very happy! I've played through a lot of cheaper amps and the valvetronix are certainly the best! oh and a non modelling one:
http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/single.php?product=SX200 Pretty great amp, And it's cheap! The world needs less modelling amps! or just better ones!
I'm up for building you a pedal.
(Or modding nearly anything moddable)
(PM Me.)
Fender Champ if you can find one in your range. One of the best simple bedroom/recording amps ever made.
Quote by Seref
Fender Champ if you can find one in your range. One of the best simple bedroom/recording amps ever made.

I've got a champ, a red knob one, I loved it. Just didn't have enough gain.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
The Fender Super Champ XD is far and away better than the Vypyr 15. However the Vypyr does have some good Metal tones. And that is the only advantage, but I wouldn't choose it over the SCXD for that reason unless that's all you cared about.

The Peavey Bandit is also a better amp than the Vypyr 15 but you don't get the versatility of the multifx, so you would probably want pedals to go with. You will get a much bigger sound with the Bandit. The puny little cheap speaker in the 15 will suffer with any volume.

A Fender Champ is totally going in the wrong direction for the style of music moderate to heavy gain. Again you would be much better off with the SCXD than the Champ. The SCXD has some good higher gain Marshall tones. And has voicing for generic high gain tone as as well. Plus a good acoustic amp to boot, if you need it.

A used Bandit can usually be found in the $150 range, which gives room for pedals. But a Vypyr 30 actually sounds more in line with what you are looking for. If you have any objections to the tone from your 15, now is a good time to state them because it sounds like you need a bigger version of the same amp.
Last edited by fly135 at Sep 8, 2010,
Quote by fly135
The Fender Super Champ XD is far and away better than the Vypyr 15. However the Vypyr does have some good Metal tones. And that is the only advantage, but I wouldn't choose it over the SCXD for that reason unless that's all you cared about.

The Peavey Bandit is also a better amp than the Vypyr 15 but you don't get the versatility of the multifx, so you would probably want pedals to go with. You will get a much bigger sound with the Bandit. The puny little cheap speaker in the 15 will suffer with any volume.

A Fender Champ is totally going in the wrong direction for the style of music moderate to heavy gain. Again you would be much better off with the SCXD than the Champ. The SCXD has some good higher gain Marshall tones. And has voicing for generic high gain tone as as well. Plus a good acoustic amp to boot, if you need it.

A used Bandit can usually be found in the $150 range, which gives room for pedals. But a Vypyr 30 actually sounds more in line with what you are looking for. If you have any objections to the tone from your 15, now is a good time to state them because it sounds like you need a bigger version of the same amp.

the SCXD has a few metal settings aswell
and he also said that he can buy a dist pedal to use with the amp if needed
Hey I think the Valve King looks nice, never played it though.I actually have a Vypyr 15W too, and was wanting to upgrade it, but for me I think I'm going for a Used Super Champ XD with a distortion pedal.
~~~...:::My Gear:::...~~~
~.:.ESP LTD H-1001FM.:.~
~.:.Peavey Vypyr 15W.:.~
~.:.DigiTech RP355.:.~
~.:.Roland MicroCube.:.~
Last edited by Diesel Weasel at Sep 8, 2010,
Does anyone think I could find a used Vox AC15C1 Tube 15W for around $300? It looks and sounds really nice from video reviews, maybe I'll just save for it? Although I really don't think I could get that kind of money, I'm really on a tight budget here... I'll be saving for a long time.