so i've been going along on the whole recording thing and i've noticed on my 5 string bass that the low D (that is low B string, 3 fret) kinda... squelches the bass. that is the bass doesn't resonate well. the other notes send out big booming bass and this note is a bit thin. i've done everything i can think of to try and fix it, i made sure its not room nodes (ive mixed down JUST the bass and tried it on multiple systems)

any suggestions aside from "find the frequency thats cutting and boost the hell out of it" ? ive tried that obviously and doing that is good for JUST that note, but it hoses the rest of the bass line and makes it sound a bit unnatural.

for an example, the "intro" to the song "billy ellis metal roofing" has this issue, you can hear the bass cut out then come back in.
Does it do it when you play it on its own or just with the other instruments? If so it could be a question of frequency masking, which means that you should try and EQ the other instruments so that they dont take the bass's frequency range. As a general and simplified rule I take everything below about 100hz maybe more or less depending on the genre out of everything except the drums and bass.

You could also try and use a multiband compressor to smooth out those lower frequencies.
^ it happens by itself. funny thing is when i run it into my bass rig theres no problem, but using DI for whatever reason those D's just produce almost no bass at all. like i said, you can hear it drop out in that one song and its basically the 3rd bass note in the beginning (and its pretty obvious as soon as you hear it)
I would suggest trying to fix it with a multiband compressor, but it'll be much better if we can figure out why it's happening.

What gear are you using? What's the signal path? You using any sort of pad?
^ my signal chain is pretty simple - its my schecter 5 string (w/ active emg's) into an LA610 compressor into my audio card (16 channel firetube)
If it only happens when you DI it, then it's probably the DI. have you tryed micing the bass cab up to see if that sounds any better?
Who decided that pie would be sold on Tuesday but not Wednesday?
You shouldnt really have that compressor in the signal path, compressing on the way in is a bad idea even with bass, if you decide that the compression doesn't work it's more or less impossible to take out, you should use it as an insert later, so maybe try that.

I've never heard of that sound card, is it an interface or are you just plugging it into your PC?

As dunjma says you could try micing the cab if you have the mic's for it.

Edit: I thought that compressor sounded familiar, nice! It's a preamp and DI as well so I take back what I said before about where it should be in the chain but make sure that the Compressor itself is bypassed.
Last edited by ImaHighwayChile at Sep 11, 2010,
^ i use light compression on my guitars and bass to keep them from clipping. really low settings, like 1.5:1 - 2:1

i managed to mic my bass cab and got a good D note out. i tweaked around with it a bit last night and managed to get a better thud out of those D notes, its not perfect but its sounding better. im really trying to get it to sound good as a DI as my bass cab isnt very good and mic'ing stuff takes too long if i can just plug in and go

http://www.guitarcenter.com/PreSonus-FireStudio-Tube-104817283-i1388072.gc

i checked online to see if anyone else had this issue with either this bass or card and can't find anything so im assuming its a combination of settings in the signal path. thanks for everyones help!
Last edited by z4twenny at Sep 11, 2010,