Ok so I'm currently running a Epiphone Thunderbird with a 45w fender but I want to get a gear list together. My T-bird is all stock atm but I want to give it a badass beefy sound what gear would you recommend I get? I also want to replace the pickups because they are kinda crappy low end humbuckers. My idea current idea for equipment is a behringer ultrabass 4x10 1200w with a 200w kustom head. Also im looking to keep this around 700-800 dollars any help would be greatly appreciated thankyou
I'd go with Acoustic's B200 head and 4x10 cabinet. It is essentially the same amplifier, and it would be a better rig than what you're suggesting. Stay away from Behringer. The quality is very poor and the bass speakers are notorious for crapping out very quickly.

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Acoustic-B200H-Bass-Amp-Head-and-B410-Bass-Speaker-Cabinet-Stack?sku=484900
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
kk ty is their anything you can tell me about better bass pickups the name emg keeps coming up but idk if thts what I should get
Quote by FatalGear41
I'd go with Acoustic's B200 head and 4x10 cabinet. It is essentially the same amplifier, and it would be a better rig than what you're suggesting. Stay away from Behringer. The quality is very poor and the bass speakers are notorious for crapping out very quickly.

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Acoustic-B200H-Bass-Amp-Head-and-B410-Bass-Speaker-Cabinet-Stack?sku=484900

This, 100%

If you're looking for upgrades for your bass, Bartolini makes a drop-in replacement for T-bird pups. Hipshot also makes a nice replacement for the 3-point bridge, but it costs more than half the retail price of the Epi T-bird.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
shit i forgot to mention I play Metal everything from A7x to CoB etc. I tune mainly drop c/d would all of this still compliment my style?
Quote by Tostitos
This, 100%

If you're looking for upgrades for your bass, Bartolini makes a drop-in replacement for T-bird pups. Hipshot also makes a nice replacement for the 3-point bridge, but it costs more than half the retail price of the Epi T-bird.

tbh its worth it imo but i do love the t-bird.gonna be upgrading mines soon.

A lot of problems are fixed easily especially the neck dive dunno if barts are suitable aint saved the cash for mines yet and i think the body of the epi's need a reroute to fit them in :S
Guitar Gear
Guitar: Ibanez GRG140 (black)
Amp:Peavey Vypyr 75

Bass Gear
Bass: Fender P-bass MIM,Peavey Millenium 5 BXP (x2),Epiphone Thunderbird
Amp:Ampeg PF500 w PF210 cab
Pedals: ODB-3,Big Muff.
In all honesty - I'd ditch your bass. They're awful to play because of the neckdive (OK, doesn't affect your sound, but still) and they have muddy pickups. I had a friend who bought one for nearly 300GBP and sold it a week later. He hated it, and I agreed with him. It's a terrible bass.
Posted from Ubuntu.

Squier Precision Bass Special in Antique Burst (LH)
Rotosound Swing 66s, 45-105

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice

Quote by druggietoad2k5
In all honesty - I'd ditch your bass. They're awful to play because of the neckdive (OK, doesn't affect your sound, but still) and they have muddy pickups. I had a friend who bought one for nearly 300GBP and sold it a week later. He hated it, and I agreed with him. It's a terrible bass.

It's the sad truth.

Looks are really, technically, all that they have going for them.

I'd save your money, don't bother upgrading it if you're not happy with it as it is, just replace it.
Nothing wrong with the T-bird if you like the sound. The neck dive you're all bitching about can be fixed by moving the strap button to the back of the neck. If you do some youtubing there's some guy who've put clips up of their Epi T-birds loaded with EMGs.
What country are you in? For $700-800 in the US you could do a lot better than the Acoustic, especially used. If you're around my neck of the woods you're better off looking for a used Ashdown, Nemisis or Hartke.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Quote by consecutive e
Nothing wrong with the T-bird if you like the sound.

If the TS was happy with the sound, why would he be asking how to get a different tone out of it?

Hence the suggestion to replace it, rather than upgrade it.
Quote by Ziphoblat
If the TS was happy with the sound, why would he be asking how to get a different tone out of it?

What if you like the feel and design of the thunderbird? its not uncommon to like something but make it literally more personalised to your taste.

Sure i plan on doing the same to mines at some point when i can afford it but why should someone just replace it? cause you dont like the bass through your opinion?

Diffrent horse's for diffrent courses i personally love everything but the meh tone of my t-bird.Besides neck dive is easy to fix bout as easy as the goddamn alphabet if your competant and can follow basic instruco's :P and takes bout 5min.
Guitar Gear

Bass Gear
Quote by Ziphoblat

Way to completely ignore the rest of my post.
He'd be better off looking for a used set of EMG DCs and running it through a good amp.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Get a Ampeg V4b and any good older 410 ie eden,swr ect.

On the Tbird.... Honestly I've never liked those for all reasons above but... Lull makes a rippin bird clone,,, did away with the problems
Quote by zootsuitbass
On the Tbird.... Honestly I've never liked those for all reasons above but... Lull makes a rippin bird clone,,, did away with the problems

A good suggestion, but there's no way TS is going to find a Mike Lull for $700-$800.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
i do personally love the feel and look of t-bird i just want a heavier tone out of my bird, because personally i think all other basses look like crap and besides i fixed the neck dive months ago thats y i didnt mention it
Last edited by MetalBirdBassis at Sep 9, 2010,
Get a new amp first. Then start looking at replacing your pickups, if you're not fully satified.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
I played about...32 notes in total on Epiphone basses, every epi bass in the store, I couldn't stand playing it for more then a single run up the neck. I've become pretty sure the only thing that you can really do with those shitty things is throw them down on stage and ride them across GOB style. I'd just get a new guitar rather then dumping money into that thing, you'll end up a lot happier. The Fender and, surprisingly, the Jackson bass sound amazing, best in the shop so I'd get one of those and put it through an Ampeg. I'm running my Fender Big Block through a Yorkvile at the moment and those are rather nice for the price, I was even thinking about switching up to a 300 watt York, the things are so damn cheap you can't really argue if you're a working class musican. Mexican made Fenders can be good if you buy them off the wall and not online so you can look it over frist, and they're much cheaper then their american made counter parts. Sorry for the long post. I just redid my entire rig a few months ago and I'm still buzzing a bit from it.
this is all good advice but doesn't answer my question will any of this sound good coupled with drop d/c tunings for music like A7X CoB and Atreyu?
Quote by MetalBirdBassis
this is all good advice but doesn't answer my question will any of this sound good coupled with drop d/c tunings for music like A7X CoB and Atreyu?

well bart pups tend to go in ibanez bass's if thats help :P also im sure EMG offer an active system for t-birds but i cant remember if its real but i have heard bout it never researched it myself as you need to reroute a battery cavity.

and big-TOG take your fender fanboyism elsewhere your literally just trolling the topic instead of helping with tc's situation by suggesting a rig that would cost arounf £2k which is waaay waay waay out tc's budget.....

EDIT and judgin by your sigs aswell the t-bird aint even suitable for those genre's tbh xD.
Guitar Gear

Bass Gear
Last edited by Razgriz_101 at Sep 10, 2010,
and big-TOG take your fender fanboyism elsewhere your literally just trolling the topic instead of helping with tc's situation by suggesting a rig that would cost arounf £2k which is waaay waay waay out tc's budget.....

Umm. I was going to buy an Epi as their cheap to replace my old bass. They where all crap, all of them. The fender was about 700 bucks and the amp 200. Under 2K And I wanted the Jackson Beattie way more. Basses with a satin finish on the neck are wicked.
Quote by Razgriz_101
well bart pups tend to go in ibanez bass's if thats help :P also im sure EMG offer an active system for t-birds but i cant remember if its real but i have heard bout it never researched it myself as you need to reroute a battery cavity.

EDIT and judgin by your sigs aswell the t-bird aint even suitable for those genre's tbh xD.

Korean Barts.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB