I know that most humbucker guitars use 500k volume pots. I also know that most single coil guitars use 250k volume pots.

An HSS Strat has both. Which does it use?

If it uses 500k, how does that affect the tone of the single coils?
If it uses 250k, how does that affect the tone of the humbucker?

Thanks!
Fender Deluxe Lonestar Stratocaster, Blackstar HT-5RS, Roland Micro Cube, Alvarez Regent Acoustic
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M
Agile AL-3100 Silverburst
Mine used 500k's.

As a general rule, the higher the resistance of the pot, the brighter the tone.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
A 'proper' HSS Strat (i.e. not some cheap copy brand guitar made in Indonesia or whatever) would use a 300k pot for the volume control, a 250k pot for the neck/middle tone control and a 500k pot for the bridge/middle tone control, depending on how the guitar was wired. If you don't have separate tone controls then you would normally go for 250k volume and 500k tone.

There's no right or wrong way to do it, in fact the SD JB model humbucker is commonly used with 250k pots and Gibson use 300k pots in all of their top Les Pauls and SGs.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
I want to know what should be height of pickup for HSS and can anybody tell how to edit dry metal distortion tone in gt100.