I'm applying early decision to virginia tech soon and i'm pretty sure i want to do engineering, specifically electrical engineering. i'd love to work for an amp company building amps and effects pedals. i thought i'd get a first hand perspective though.

so for people that have EE degrees, are you happy with the major you chose? how was the workload? would you recommend another field? any other input you have would also be nice. thanks.
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
I'm pretty sure Corey is an EE. You should give him a PM.
Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.
Quote by funkbass369
i'd love to work for an amp company building amps and effects pedals.

You don't need an engineering degree for that.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
I used to go to an Engineering school. All the EEs seemed relatively happy with their choice of major/career.
I'm not an EE, but i have taken EE classes for my technical electives (cause i like building my own effects pedals) and have dealt with many of the same things that EE'S do in my Materials Engineering courses. The EE classes i have taken are very interesting but they are a lot of work. That will be be the same with any engineering major. Engineering is extremely challenging, but i think its worth it. The classes are interesting and when you graduate you will make bank.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Follow me on the tweet machine. I tweet about interesting things like the weather and what I ate for breakfast.
Quote by damian_91

It would help quite a bit if you were designing them though.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Electrical engineering =/= Electronic engineering.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by Jackal58

Electrical engineering ≈ Electronic engineering, the not-so-manly orientations.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
Quote by damian_91

you don't need a degree to do anything but it helps if you want to be successful, especially these days.
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
Quote by Jackal58

they lump electronic engineering in with electrical engineering at some colleges. at VT the major is listed as computer and electrical engineering but you branch off into whatever you want inside of those fields. thanks for the responses guys.
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
Quote by funkbass369
they lump electronic engineering in with electrical engineering at some colleges. at VT the major is listed as computer and electrical engineering but you branch off into whatever you want inside of those fields. thanks for the responses guys.

That's why I went to Penn State.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
I'm going to school for Electrical Engineering with a focus in acoustics right now. I'm totally satisfied with my choice. Majors are a bit of a misnomer when it comes to these kinds of things. For instance, there are so many things you can do within a major. My brother went to work on the power grid with his degree in Electrical Engineering. I'm going into acoustics. Others I know are going into other such electrical things. Here at the University of Illinois, we have classes specifically tailored to each focus that you take after you take all your required EE courses. For instance, in a few semesters I'll be taking ECE 402: Electronic Music Synthesis and ECE 473: Fundamentals of Engineering Acoustics. Just a few examples.

The workload is tough, but that's the way it's going to be with any engineering major. Keep on it, and you'll do alright though. Never lose sight of what you're doing and why you're doing it.
Call me Jack.
All that you love...
...you must love now.
My Gear:
PRS Custom 24
Standard MIM Tele
Larrivée LV-09E
Rivera Clubster 45 112 Combo Tube
Boss ME-20 Multi-effects pedal
Boss OC-3 Super octave pedal
My own home-made octave-up pedal
Quote by Jackal58
That's why I went to Penn State.

i have to stay in state. i have enough money in savings to pay for college in state for 4 years and i don't want to be in debt. also, VT has a very highly ranked EE program. i looked at some manufacturer's websites and all of their engineers/designers have EE degrees anyways.
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
VT is a good school man. I just wanted to make sure you weren't getting fed a bunch of roses.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Amplification is pretty basic. I wanna do that that too... and a degree doesn't teach you about what sounds good, but what works good. I asked one of my lecturers what they thought about a guitar amp design and I was told an op-amp would be better. Electrical engineering will teach you very little about distorting a signal in other words. If you want to do EE purely to learn how to build guitar amps, you will be very disappointed, but if you have an interest in all aspects of electronics then go for it, digital electronics is a lot of fun, and the things you can do are amazing.

EDIT: I should add, this is from my experience in NZ, obviously other places will operate differently.
MaKing thE possiBlE...
...totaLlY impossible
Last edited by EnyoAdonai at Sep 7, 2010,
Quote by Jackal58
VT is a good school man. I just wanted to make sure you weren't getting fed a bunch of roses.

thanks for the concern. i've done a lot of research. i wish i could go out of state though. it'd really open up my options if i don't get into tech.
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
I got degrees in Electrical Engineering and Computer Engineering, and a minor in Management. There were two quarters where I took four core engineering classes and one management class each and pretty much didn't see my friends at all because there simply wasn't enough time in the day. It was pretty chill otherwise.

Working in the hardware field right now kind of sucks. I'm going to switch to finance and go into banking or something like that.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
I have a few friends who go to VT.

That's about all I've got to contribute, though.