Hey guys. So basically, I seem to only have one passion of which is music. I know that make a decent living off of music is extremely difficult, and not likely, so I've been trying to think of other things that I have passion for in my life, but I can't think of anything.

And because you guys don't know me well enough to suggest crap, I was wondering if you guys knew about any decent...aptitude tests i think they're called? I know they won't determine what I do in life, but I do want to see what it suggests that I can go and look up. Or if maybe you know some sites that might help me look into some careers that would otherwise be invisible to me, that'd be great.
Do you want to hear my friend's back-up plan?

(Keep in mind, this is if every other facet of his life amounts to nothing):

1. Sell all worldly possessions in this country; purchase seaworthy boat.
2. Sail around world for some time w/ friend and/or female companion.
3. Once circumnavigation and previous resources are exhausted, sell boat upon entry into port on Western African border. Buy up a small one-man arsenal, smaller boat, and navigate the Congo to its farthest extremities.
4. Proceed on foot.
5. Fight rabble-rousers, the Janjaweed, etc. until death.

Technically in the plan, I've got to wire him money if he gets put in prison sometime between 1. and 4.
What do you like? Cars? Building stuff? Finance? Business?

Don't make a hobby into a career. Just find something you like and pick a related job.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Quote by rgrockr
What do you like? Cars? Building stuff? Finance? Business?

Don't make a hobby into a career. Just find something you like and pick a related job.

The problem is I don't know :/ My dad never taught me much about cars so I never got into them. I'm 16 so right now my life consists around guitar and video games. Though with my personality, I might like programming but I don't know since I have no way to really find out what a programmer typically would do (besides, of course, programming crap).
Quote by ABRfan
The problem is I don't know :/ My dad never taught me much about cars so I never got into them. I'm 16 so right now my life consists around guitar and video games. Though with my personality, I might like programming but I don't know since I have no way to really find out what a programmer typically would do (besides, of course, programming crap).

Take a course on programming at a community college. Your parents will be happy you're doing more advanced work, and it'll give you an idea. Musicians and programmers have similar thought patterns, I think you'll like it.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
Quote by ABRfan

I'm in a similar position. I've also figured out that WE'RE ONLY 16. We don't exactly need to be worrying about this stuff now, there'll be plenty of time for that during/after college (which you should definitely make every effort to attend). Speaking of which, if at all possible don't skip college to work on your music unless you're already signed and have a huge record before graduating. College keeps options open so you can have your choice of backup plans.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
To try out game programming try a basic game programming, uh, program. I'd recommend YoYo Games' Game Maker, great learning tool.

If you have absolutely no idea what to do, though, when you graduate High School either join the military or go to community college, they help you find a career.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
You could try and break into the music world through the business aspect of things. Large companies (fender, gibson, etc.) Have people doing sales, marketing, supply chain logistics, factory managers, all kinds of stuff.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Follow me on the tweet machine. I tweet about interesting things like the weather and what I ate for breakfast.
Quote by FrustratedRocka
I'm in a similar position. I've also figured out that WE'RE ONLY 16. We don't exactly need to be worrying about this stuff now, there'll be plenty of time for that during/after college (which you should definitely make every effort to attend). Speaking of which, if at all possible don't skip college to work on your music unless you're already signed and have a huge record before graduating. College keeps options open so you can have your choice of backup plans.

Yeah, unless the band takes off and get's a lot of money, I'm planning on attending college. And yes, we may be 16, but it's good to think of it a bit now and over the years than have to try to decide while in college, switching classes every semester like my step-bro does. I would rather just decide now so I can focus and develop in it a little bit before college
prostitution is always a back-up plan.

for me, teaching/tutoring/instructing would be the most viable. those that cannot do teach.
The only Back-Up Plan one should have is what to do in case of Zombie Apocalypse

. . .
. . .

. . .(head north!)
There may be times when it is impossible to prevent injustice, but there should never be a time when we fail to protest it.

Take a trip down the Scenic River

Call me Charlie.