Page 1 of 3
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ynews_excl/ynews_excl_sc3564

Apparently, various countries across the globe are experiencing food shortages. My first thought is, "Well, this sucks." My second thought is a question to the Pit, how long 'til developed countries (like the US, UK, etc.) have to deal with this?

Do you think we can blame this on global warming? (I tend to think not, considering that a lot of the data on global warming is falsified, imho.) If you were a world leader, how would you respond to this?

Discuss.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
I tend to think not, considering that a lot of the data on global warming is falsified, imho.

Sauce plz.
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
//////////////////////////////////////HEALTH
We're running out of food because we have too many people. We try as hard as we can to control the populations of animals, like by neutering dogs and carefully distributing hunting licenses, but you could have 15 loser kids and nobody's gonna stop you from ****in'.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Quote by rgrockr
We're running out of food because we have too many people. We try as hard as we can to control the populations of animals, like by neutering dogs and carefully distributing hunting licenses, but you could have 15 loser kids and nobody's gonna stop you from ****in'.

+1
EDIT: Also some women can't help themselves if they do have kids, I've seen many documentries on Discovery, TLC, etc. where women and sometimes even little girls get pregnant because they are raped, this happens in many poor countries.
STಠ_ಠ
Last edited by Andrea55 at Sep 7, 2010,
Quote by Andrea55
+1
EDIT: Also some women can't help themselves if they do have kids, I've seen many documentries on Discovery, TLC, etc. where women and sometimes even little girls get pregnant because they are raped, this happens in many poor countries.

If you thought that was good you should go watch Bill Burr's Why do I do this? He does like 20 minutes on this subject.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3OkaJnlWFQ
We're running out of food because some of the biggest bread baskets in the world (the Russian Steppes) are undergoing record level temperatures and drought, as well as wide spread wildfires.

The intense heat in Russia is also partially to blame for the intense flooding in Pakistan.
There may be times when it is impossible to prevent injustice, but there should never be a time when we fail to protest it.

Take a trip down the Scenic River

Call me Charlie.
simple overpopulation, but im sure some moron will blame this on the nonexistent global warming.
the simple fact of it is we as a specie dont pay attention to the repercussions of our actions. having children is the worst thing you can do to the environment. the dumbasses who have 15 kids will be our undoing.
Overpopulation isnt really the problem. We could make enough food to feed 50 billion people if we had enough natural gas to make fertilizer. Food distribution is the major hurdle. In america atleast, Grocery store throw out massive amounts of produce that never gets sold while in 3rd world countries food aid drops are stolen by militants. In the last 50 years we have gotten good at growing a shitload of food, but getting it to the people who need it most is still elusive.
Gear:
Modded Steinberger Spirit (white) (SD-AH/EMG Select)
Modded Steinberger GP-2R (white) (EMG81/60)
Peavey XXL head
Hughes and Kettner Cream Machine
Hughes and Kettner Blues Master
Quote by whalepudding
More GM foods please

OK.
The article says we have nothing to worry about, and that it's actually helping the US economy. what we really need to worry about are the climate changes causing the shortages.
Food shortages are caused by political differences not by a lack of food.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by Iamafunguy
NO! You should blame this on the ****ing Mcdonalds.

I'd like to agree with you, however wrong you are.

The poll I'd really like to see though, is 'Are we more worried about the apocalypse than any other generation?'.
Quote by UraniYum
I'd like to agree with you, however wrong you are.

The poll I'd really like to see though, is 'Are we more worried about the apocalypse than any other generation?'.

I'd like to agree with you that I am wrong because you would like to agree with me...

Yeah, no need to be a dick.
Yep, wild fires in russia.

Also, we're all slaves to the corperate supermarket monopoly now so we are ALL screwed if we experience a food shortage since none of us get an opportunity to grow our own vegetables or own animals since we all have to go out to work.

Doesn't help that all the land was taken off the population either.
a lot of food gets wasted. things would be different if we exploited the full potential of our food sources without attempting to make outrageous profits.
I was watching "The F Word" the other day, and there was a bit where that food critic guy spends a day eating only food out of the dumpsters of restaurants and super markets.

He got like 6 unopened packages of pre-made salad, 4 unopened packages of sushi and a whole bunch of other stuff.

You may say "Ew dumpster food" but it was exactly the same as you would find them in the store. Except in the trash.

The amount of food we throw away in insane, so much so that you actually can get just as much food for free in the same condition as you would find it in the store, as with buying it.

EDIT: obviously this is just in the western world and not in other places, but there really isn't a shortage of food, just a very uneven distribution of it.
Last edited by CoreysMonster at Sep 8, 2010,
Quote by whalepudding
More GM foods please
I hope your kidding.

The United Nations' Food and Agriculture Organization says that 2010 brought the third-largest harvest of grains on record, leaving global food stocks high.
There is no shortage of food, only the lack of food control in some countries. The last few decades were about who controlled the fuel, the next decades will be about who controls the food, Google Monsanto if you want a clue.
the only reason we have food shortages is because of a lot of people/political leaders all over the world not giving a fuck about it.
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
-Modest Mouse, "Novocaine Stain"
Quote by Deaddog
I hope your kidding.

Why?
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Jackal58
Food shortages are caused by political differences not by a lack of food.

This is pretty true here and there. Ethiopia was taken over by Italy specifically for agriculture back in the day.
Quote by Deaddog
There is no shortage of food, only the lack of food control in some countries. The last few decades were about who controlled the fuel, the next decades will be about who controls the food, Google Monsanto if you want a clue.

Grain is one of the most consumed foods in the world, very important, and the third biggest grain supplier (Russia) has banned exporting grain to help boost their home market due to environmental damage. Expect grain prices to go up. Demand will be higher than supply.
Quote by Deaddog
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=monsanto+video

Controlling Our Food is a good start, there's several others as well as dozens of illuminating websites, some fanatical and some sound. The Future of Food is another excellent documentary, you can find it on Hulu.

Let's pretend I'm not going to watch nearly 2 hours of video. Why?
Quote by Kensai
Let's pretend I'm not going to watch nearly 2 hours of video. Why?
GM modified food is a freight train that was set in motion here in the United States 20 years ago. It has been quietly gaining steam ever since and is now operating on a global scale, you really should educate yourself on the matter because specifically involves the most common foods consumed around the world.

It explains (in a roundabout way) the explosive popularity ethanol in recent years, as well as funding for the Genome project that received so much coverage and funding throughout the nineties here in the States.
Last edited by Deaddog at Sep 8, 2010,
Quote by Deaddog
GM modified food is a freight train that was set in motion here in the United States 20 years ago. It has been quietly gaining steam ever since and is now operating on a global scale, you really should educate yourself on the matter because specifically involves the most common foods consumed around the world.

I know about GM food (GM means genetically modified btw so you dont have to add 'modified' after GM). I'm wondering why you're against it. It has saved atleast a billion lives.

Quote by Deaddog
It explains (in a roundabout way) the explosive popularity ethanol in recent years, as well as funding for the Genome project that received so much coverage and funding throughout the nineties here in the States.

Still doesn't explain why you're against it, or are you just against where some of it is going?
There's plenty of food. There's just too many people.
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
Last edited by SlinkyBlue at Sep 8, 2010,
Quote by Zoot Allures

Also, we're all slaves to the corperate supermarket monopoly now so we are ALL screwed if we experience a food shortage since none of us get an opportunity to grow our own vegetables or own animals since we all have to go out to work.

Well were I live there's two independent fruit and vegetable shops
Quote by Kumanji
How about you don't insult my friend's dead mum, you prick.

Quote by JDawg
Too be he had to be a dick about his crayons.
I would not say that the food shortages are due to either overpopulation or global warming.

I think you people who scream about overpopulation need to realize that, even if it were an issue, it's not your business to tell me or anyone else to not have kids. I will prolly have a large family. In fact, to be honest, I've never even seen any good evidence that overpopulation is the issue. If you honestly think it is, then why haven't you either castrated yourself (if you're male) or gotten spade (if you'r female)? That's my response to the overpopulation argument.

I think global warming is and always has been a hoax. The few times people presented evidence for it, it was either:
(a presented by people who are not authorities on the issue (*cough* Al Gore *cough*) and who stand to make profit on environmental schemes/laws. Again, Al Gore; along with people like Obama, Cass Sunsteen (sp.?), and others through the Chicago Climate Exchange and a British firm owned by Al Gore. Look it up.
or
(b the results of any experiments and research were purposely messed with, to achieve their desired result. In fact, there was a group of scientists, who had researchers at both an American university and a British university, that was recently found to be doing just that. They wanted to "prove" global warming and their data didn't support it. So, they messed with their data to force the data to support it.

I do think that the real problem here is that the Russian steppes suffered droughts and fires. When you have a country that exports a lot of food and it cannot do that for some reason or another, all the countries it's exporting food to will suffer. That's how the world economy works. Is there a way to fix that? Well, no, other than the countries importing food from Russia being smart about it and storing a fixed percentage of food, in case of emergencies. So, I blame this on two things, namely the droughts and fires in the Russian steppes and the lack of foresight of the countries that were buying food from Russia.

I also think, however, that the West (especially the USA, as I am a US citizen and see this firsthand) can be less wasteful with its food. What we don't understand is that there are essentially small countries that can live off of our food garbage. We could feed thousands and thousands of people with our food waste. I'm not saying we should ship food waste to poor countries. I am simply saying that we should waste less food.

Edit: I should mention, that, my family does grow our own vegetables, for the most part. My parents, despite working 12 hours a day at their self-owned business, take the time to plant and care for a rather large garden. I and my sister help out when they need us to, of course. However, they do the bulk of it really. I only mention that, because someone mentioned that very few people actually grow their own food. My point is that it's not hard to grow your own food, or at least some of it.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Sep 8, 2010,
Quote by Kensai
I know about GM food (GM means genetically modified btw so you dont have to add 'modified' after GM). I'm wondering why you're against it. It has saved atleast a billion lives.

Still doesn't explain why you're against it, or are you just against where some of it is going?
Fine Mr. Picknitty, here's the skinny:

The genetic modification of food has nothing to do higher yields or even short term profits. In a word it's about control. Through the bio-engineering of seeds, foods that were "created" by these corporations now fall under the jurisdiction of patent laws. Before GM food, nature was off limits to patents. Now it's fair game, and Monsanto is cornering the market and buying up all the seeds.

Pretty soon Monsanto, and America, will own food.

It sounds ridiculous doesn't it? It's 100% true nonetheless. A quick Google seach showed me that ethanol has established itself in your country already. If the US ever manages perfect a corn based fuel, then we will own that too. This issue effect's your country as well as many countries in Europe and around the world. Britian was one of the first to stand up and reject GM food, I'm honestly hoping that the rest of Europe follows in suit.

Still don't believe me? Watch the movies, trust they are worth your time
Quote by Deaddog
That's good to hear, you should take the opportunity to learn everything they know about home gardening. It saves money and it's more healthy, as long as you don't use roundup or roundup ready seeds (which are GMO's)

Food that is homegrown tastes better in my opinion anyway. My family grows several good size gardens each year. We never buy produce etc. from a supermarket unless it's out of season.

With the food shortage, I don't think this has anything to do with overpopulation or even global warming. One of the major problems is just the extreme weather we have been having all over the world this year.
Quote by Carmel
Lucky I'm a girl and I don't give a damn.

Quote by darkwolf291

I've seen her kill a man with a spork and a rubber band
No one is safe from the wrath of Batgirl!
Last edited by offthewall91 at Sep 8, 2010,
Quote by offthewall91
Food that us homegrown tastes better in my opinion anyway.
This is definitely true. Compare a homegrown tomato, for example, to a store bought tomato. There is NO comparison. The homegrown is always better, because it's fresher and isn't as loaded with chemicals from being sprayed too often.

Quote by offthewall91
With the food shortage, I don't think this has anything to do with overpopulation or even global warming. One of the major problems is just the extreme weather we have been having all over the world this year.
Exactly! See, people try to blame these issues on global warming or overpopulation. NO! That doesn't work. I could see it working IF the amount of food harvested and sent to stores/markets to be sold every year stayed constant, but that simply isn't the case. There's no way to keep that said amount constant. As it is, weather is the issue. Let's face it -- weather is getting more and more extreme.
Yeah, you can try and blame that on global warming, but I don't think there's enough evidence to prove global warming. If anything, the global temperature has gone down, not up. Or at least it has fluctuated at such an insignificant rate that global temperature isn't even worth considering lately as an explanation of why weather is so wacky lately.
Quote by Zoot Allures
Yep, wild fires in russia.

Doesn't help that all the land was taken off the population either.

Maybe you are. I'm not. I raise most of my own food. And nobody has taken my little piece of property. And I still work.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by Jackal58
Maybe you are. I'm not. I raise most of my own food. And nobody has taken my little piece of property. And I still work.

No need to brag.
Quote by Deaddog
Fine Mr. Picknitty, here's the skinny:

The genetic modification of food has nothing to do higher yields or even short term profits. In a word it's about control. Through the bio-engineering of seeds, foods that were "created" by these corporations now fall under the jurisdiction of patent laws. Before GM food, nature was off limits to patents. Now it's fair game, and Monsanto is cornering the market and buying up all the seeds.

Pretty soon Monsanto, and America, will own food.

It sounds ridiculous doesn't it? It's 100% true nonetheless. A quick Google seach showed me that ethanol has established itself in your country already. If the US ever manages perfect a corn based fuel, then we will own that too. This issue effect's your country as well as many countries in Europe and around the world. Britian was one of the first to stand up and reject GM food, I'm honestly hoping that the rest of Europe follows in suit.

Still don't believe me? Watch the movies, trust they are worth your time

one company or one nation will not be able to own all the food. all another company has to do is create another strain of GM seeds to patent. plus patents only have exclusive protection for something like 20 years. after that, the company-specific strain of seeds will fall into the public domain.
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
-Modest Mouse, "Novocaine Stain"
Page 1 of 3