I'm wondering which of these guitars is better to buy, I play a lot of metal, both Bodm and A7X, but most of my stuff is EVH styled. I use an old Peavey Wolfgang, I don't even own it, so I need to buy a guitar. Which guitar would be better for me to buy?
I think the Synyster would be more versatile. The Alexi 600 only has a bridge pickup, whereas the Synyster has a bridge and neck, and a 3 way selector. I don't know about the invaders, though. The Rhoads shape of the Alexi-600 might give you issues as well. Try them both, if you can.
Well, if you're looking for their tone you would give us an easier job on giving you choices by telling what kind of an amplifier do you have/use. Cause amplifier is a real big factor in makings of the tone.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

For the price of those, you can get a way better all around guitar. Unless you specifically want a sig?

What's your budget and your current amp?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
For the price of those, you can get a way better all around guitar. Unless you specifically want a sig?

What's your budget and your current amp?

+1

even better if you go used
I have a 75 watt Spider III, I put it on clean and run it through a distortion pedal. I sometimes use my dad's Marshall AVT 150H stack, but I'm not really gonna use it all that much until I get a Pod XT Live. I really don't make that much money as of now since I don't have a job at the moment but I'm gonna save up to atleast a thousand and not buy shit. My original idea was at the end of this year I'd get a job, and plus with the money I've saved, get a Ernie Ball Music Man AX40, but I'm gonna go all the way for a decent guitar.
Don't even think about spending a grand on a guitar and then running it through a Spider. That's just painful.

You can get a much, much more satisfying result if you split it up. Ebay and Craigs List are and always will be your friends as a musician.

Assuming you have $1000, you'd be way better off getting a used Peavey 6505+ combo (~$500), and a used Schecter C-1 FR or LTD MH300/400 (~$500).
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
yeah im not gonna go for a combo amp, especially a small one like that peavey i know my spider sucks, ill switch to a marshall when i get a pod. musiciansfriend.com will always will be your friends as a musician.
Quote by Jordan5150
musiciansfriend.com will always will be your friends as a musician.

NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON
Quote by Jordan5150
well its 10x better than ebay and craigslist

No. Not really.
ESP Stef B8 CS
.strandberg* Boden OS7
Suhr Modern Satin
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro II
Washburn N7
PRS SE245
LTD Alexi-600
Warmoth Fr00tcaster
Ibanez RG1XXV
Fender Strat
Jackson Dinky Rev
Agile AL-2500

Peavey 5150
Yamaha THR10x
Quote by Jordan5150
well its 10x better than ebay and craigslist

Not even close.
Craigslist and ebay can give you brand new products for half the price of musiciansfriend, and more. Honestly, a 6505+ combo amp may look small, but it'll definitely do a hell of a lot better than your spider, in my opinion. You seem like one of the guys who looks at the size of the amp and says "I need something bigger." People like that should not be allowed to play with an amp. You do NOT need an expensive guitar if you have a crappy amp. Split the money on trying to find and amp and a guitar if you really want to upgrade.
PROUD VEGETARIAN!

Bass rig:
Fender MIM Standard Precision Bass (Ginger =])
Gallien-Krueger 1001RB-II 700/50W Biamp Bass Head
Carvin 6x10 Cab.
MXR M-80 Bass Direct Box

Quote by Offworld92
Choice is a wonderful thing.
Have you heard a 6505 combo amp? They are loud as shit. More than enough for playing at home and even enough for most smaller gigs.
ESP Stef B8 CS
.strandberg* Boden OS7
Suhr Modern Satin
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro II
Washburn N7
PRS SE245
LTD Alexi-600
Warmoth Fr00tcaster
Ibanez RG1XXV
Fender Strat
Jackson Dinky Rev
Agile AL-2500

Peavey 5150
Yamaha THR10x
Guitar-wise i'd go for the Schecter due to it having a B and N pickup and being more versatile (im guessing). Plus a lot of people don't like the EMG's alexi uses because they are passive and not actives.

Remember that going through Digital/SS amps a guitar will not affect your tone as much as it would if it were going through a tube amp. If you are looking for a 'better tone' then you either need to spend time EQ'ing your amp (spider's can sound fine if you spend time EQ'ing them) or getting a new amp altogether. If you are fairly happy with your tone and just want a nice guitar then I say go for it, especially if you'll eventually go for a nicer amp (tube or better digital modeler).
Like most people will say on this board its usually more desirable to buy a good quality amp before you buy $1000+ guitars. This is completely up to you though because some people prefer SS and Digital or cheap Tube amps because that's the sound they like and the sound they want, not to mention the variability a digital amp can give (even if its a lower end modeler).
Quote by AkiraSpectrum
Guitar-wise i'd go for the Schecter due to it having a B and N pickup and being more versatile (im guessing). Plus a lot of people don't like the EMG's alexi uses because they are passive and not actives.

Remember that going through Digital/SS amps a guitar will not affect your tone as much as it would if it were going through a tube amp. If you are looking for a 'better tone' then you either need to spend time EQ'ing your amp (spider's can sound fine if you spend time EQ'ing them) or getting a new amp altogether. If you are fairly happy with your tone and just want a nice guitar then I say go for it, especially if you'll eventually go for a nicer amp (tube or better digital modeler).
Like most people will say on this board its usually more desirable to buy a good quality amp before you buy $1000+ guitars. This is completely up to you though because some people prefer SS and Digital or cheap Tube amps because that's the sound they like and the sound they want, not to mention the variability a digital amp can give (even if its a lower end modeler).

so would a Pod Xt Live be a bad idea to use on my Marshall when I get a new guitar?
a POD xt is better quality modeling than the Spider's POD 2.0 modeling. if you run it through the clean channel or perhaps bypassing the preamp of the marshall altogether and just using its poweramp section (not sure if you can do that with that amp?) you will get better sound quality than the spider or marshall (considering the marshall you have is a lower end SS).
Best plan

Get a new amp
get a new guitar
shop on craiglist or eBay for both

the 5150 is a sexy amp so yea
Music is not the Olympics. It's not a sport; it's a form of expression. There is no such thing as bad music. There may be music that you personally don't like, but if you don't like it, don't listen to it.." Eddie Van Halen
Quote by AkiraSpectrum
a POD xt is better quality modeling than the Spider's POD 2.0 modeling. if you run it through the clean channel or perhaps bypassing the preamp of the marshall altogether and just using its poweramp section (not sure if you can do that with that amp?) you will get better sound quality than the spider or marshall (considering the marshall you have is a lower end SS).

all right thanks ill stick to that idea
Quote by Aturaya
I think the Synyster would be more versatile. The Alexi 600 only has a bridge pickup, whereas the Synyster has a bridge and neck, and a 3 way selector. I don't know about the invaders, though. The Rhoads shape of the Alexi-600 might give you issues as well. Try them both, if you can.

Not only that, but the Synyster has a push/pull coil split. The Alexi-600 is an awesome guitar, (I have one,) but I would be getting ahead of myself if I said that it was very versatile. If you want 2 pickups, but you also dig the V shape (I do), but want 2 pickups, go for a Jackson RR3. It would be a good bit cheaper than the other guitars too.
TBH, I don't see how it's between these two guitars for you TS. They are very, very different guitars. I would check out some more guitars, since if your tastes range from a Synyster Custom to an Alexi 600, there's probably a non signature guitar that's right up your alley, and will be a good bit cheaper. With the money saved, you can pick up a nice amp. If you can score one, a Peavey 6505 combo would be the shit, but if not, I suggest a B-52 AT 112
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father
So is this guitar Mexican made or human made? Wait, shit, that was really racist wasn't it?

My shitty covers: http://www.youtube.com/simpleben09
Last edited by simpleben09 at Sep 12, 2010,
Quote by simpleben09
Not only that, but the Synyster has a push/pull coil split. The Alexi-600 is an awesome guitar, (I have one,) but I would be getting ahead of myself if I said that it was very versatile. If you want 2 pickups, but you also dig the V shape (I do), but want 2 pickups, go for a Jackson RR3. It would be a good bit cheaper than the other guitars too.
TBH, I don't see how it's between these two guitars for you TS. They are very, very different guitars. I would check out some more guitars, since if your tastes range from a Synyster Custom to an Alexi 600, there's probably a non signature guitar that's right up your alley, and will be a good bit cheaper. With the money saved, you can pick up a nice amp. If you can score one, a Peavey 6505 combo would be the shit, but if not, I suggest a B-52 AT 112

I don't think I've ever played a V shape, how different is it compared to a strat body?
Do you have any experience with that 6505 combo? If it's 65 watts, does it get real loud, my spiders a 75 watt and that doesn't do the trick in my band with double bass and what not.
It's a good idea to try a V-shaped guitar before you buy one, a lot of people (me included) find them uncomfortable to play while sitting down. Also the Peavey 6505 combo is 60 watts, but it's plenty for small gigs. As for guitars look into some different non-sig LTDs and Schecters with similar specs, as they will often be a lot cheaper!
Quote by Jordan5150
I don't think I've ever played a V shape, how different is it compared to a strat body?
Do you have any experience with that 6505 combo? If it's 65 watts, does it get real loud, my spiders a 75 watt and that doesn't do the trick in my band with double bass and what not.

The 6505 combo (both the 2x12 and the 6505+ 1x12 versions) is a tube amp and generally will be 2.5-3 times louder than a SS amp in general. In other words, it will be WAY louder than your 75 watt solid state spider.
Quote by Jordan5150

Tube amps sound louder than SS amps. 65 Watts tube will do anything for you and still have headroom.
the v shape is harder to play sitting IMO. if you want a V thats more versitile than the Alexi, go for a Hellraiser V
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

I'd go for a used 5150 or a 6505 1x12 combo,either of which absolutely destroy the spider in terms of tone and sound quality.After that,use the rest of your budget to get a used Schecter or LTD model.I've seen Hellraisers go for fairly cheap,and they can certainly keep up with the Synester Custom or Alexi model.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Quote by Jordan5150

It's definitely different. Make sure that you're comfortable sitting down with a V before buying one. Instead of resting it on your right leg, you're setting it so it's leaning on your left leg, and your right leg is right in the middle of the wings.
Also, the 6505 combo will do you fine. Tube amps are much louder than SS amps, so I could imagine a 30 watt tube amp sound about as loud as your spider. It will sound great too. I got to try out a 6505 the other day, and it was pretty orgasmic
Oh, and just throwing it out there, if you want the spider, or any amp for that matter, to cut through more, try turning up the midrange. A little scoop can sound great when you're by yourself, but when you start playing with other people, midrange is your friend
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father
So is this guitar Mexican made or human made? Wait, shit, that was really racist wasn't it?

My shitty covers: http://www.youtube.com/simpleben09
Thanks a lot guys for good answers, I'm not gonna go for the Alexi or any V shape for now, and that 6505 sounds like a good idea.