I am looking to buy my first bass, but am having trouble finding a lefty bass in my price range (about $200). There is a Dean for $150, but I would like to have something more interesting than a plain black, one pickup bass.

All the other options that I see are from a company called Davison, which I am having trouble finding much info about. They appear to have a wider selection of lefty basses than anyone else, and I love having a bit of choice.

To avoid redundancy:
I know that if I spent more, I would get a better instrument. But I'm broke and I want to start lessons, as I have time for the next few months before I start back to school.
I know that it will be a gamble to buy from a relatively unknown brand. I just want to see if anyone has seen/used this so that I have a better idea about my odds.

So has anyone seen a Davison? Or, more generally, where do I get a starter lefty bass?
Last edited by AliceKingsley at Sep 11, 2010,
rondomusic.com has a wonderful selection of leftys. they have good fender bass knockoffs
no sir away a papaya war is on
These look better than the Davison offerings:

http://www.rondomusic.com/URSA3lh3ts.html

http://www.rondomusic.com/sjb62qmdleft.html

http://www.rondomusic.com/sjb75ltdnaleft.html

http://www.rondomusic.com/wob826tblleft.html

The last one is a six-string bass, in case you are interested in something more than four strings. These are all serviceable basses, and if you are willing to go used you can probably find a number of even better offerings by Schecter, Ibanez and Fender/Squier.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
avoid squire affinitys, go for the squire standard if you take the squire route.
no sir away a papaya war is on
Thanks for all the help. I found a lefty ESP for under $300 that I fell in love with. It helped to know that there are other options out there, I just hadn't found them yet.
Quote by the_perdestrian
avoid squire affinitys, go for the squire standard if you take the squire route.

I don't agree with you. Give me Alder over Agathis any day.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Quote by consecutive e
I don't agree with you. Give me Alder over Agathis any day.

body wood isn't everything
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Quote by gilly_90
body wood isn't everything

Still plays an important role. I'd take an affinity over a standard if I was to travel down that neck of the woods because I'd end up modding it either way, and the aforementioned alder > agathis.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
I'd rather have an overall better construction quality and quality control. Also on the affinitys the alder is giong to be really crap quality anyway and possibly made of more than one piece stuck together.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Quote by gilly_90
I'd rather have an overall better construction quality and quality control. Also on the affinitys the alder is giong to be really crap quality anyway and possibly made of more than one piece stuck together.

And the Agathis body isn't going to be more than one piece stuck together? You're going to get at least 2-3 pieces, hell the body on my Jagmaster is 4 and it's the same price as the Standard Jazz/P. Agathis isn't the most high quality wood in the world either. As for the quality that's pretty subjective. You're going to get bung affinitys and standards. Squier QC is pretty decent for the most part anyway.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB