So I just made my first cigar box guitar.

It is the first time i have ever really made anything so I am pretty proud of it.

Body shot.

Close up.

Control plate. I cut apart a copper can that I bought at goodwill for $2 and pounded it out until it was flat. Then I cut out the plate, and filed down the edges until they were smooth. I especially like how this part of the guitar turned out.

Close up of the control plate.

Headstock, salvaged the tuners from an old Squire that I wasn't using anymore.

The neck. I used a spokeshave to carve it out of a piece of plywood that I got for free on the side of the road.

Close up of the neck.

The bridge.

It uses a Piezoelectric pickup located inside the guitar beneath the bridge. I am planning on winding my own single coil pickup, which is why I have the second volume knob and the pickup selector. I have everything I need except the material to make the bobbin, so until I find something for that it is on hold. The Piezoelectric pickup works though, and it sounds surprisingly cool.

As you can see, I tried fretting it...it kind of worked hahha the intonation is pretty sh*t at some parts but it kind of works in it's own little way as long as I avoid chords. I think I marked the frets out well enough, but not only did I not have the right saw, but I didn't have any sort of guides either so some of the frets are either crooked, glued in, or in some cases, both.

It's whatever though: this was just a practice run. I ordered a Stewart Mac fret saw/miter box so the next time should sound much better.

Actually I do have a question about next time:

The neck bends very very easily; I actually cant move when I am playing because if I move in the wrong way then the pitch will change and it sounds like I am using a whammy bar. Is this just because I used the cheapest wood I could find, or is it most likely a structural thing that I am missing?
That looks really great, the control plate and choice of knobs are very in keeping with the whole look.

As per the neck, id say because yeah being plywood its never going to have the properties you want, next time a hardwood such as maple, purpleheart etc work better, but of course that way your paying more for materials, mind you buying a used neck off ebay is always an option? Another thing you could do is rout a channel and even just put in a steel rod, 6mm diameter 1020 steel and with only 4 strings and that'll be more than enough, mind you its quite a bit more labour intensive that way,

But great job looks freaking great! Kinda keen to do my own now!

Chur
Quote by Lightbluemk2
That looks really great, the control plate and choice of knobs are very in keeping with the whole look.

As per the neck, id say because yeah being plywood its never going to have the properties you want, next time a hardwood such as maple, purpleheart etc work better, but of course that way your paying more for materials, mind you buying a used neck off ebay is always an option? Another thing you could do is rout a channel and even just put in a steel rod, 6mm diameter 1020 steel and with only 4 strings and that'll be more than enough, mind you its quite a bit more labour intensive that way,

Great, thanks for the help, man.

I kind of did have a feeling about the wood haha but whatever, this was a practice round. Next time I will definitely spring for something a bit classier.

But great job looks freaking great! Kinda keen to do my own now!

Dooo it! It's cheap (personally, I didn't even spend $25) and easy as hell.

Honestly if I hadn't spent most of the build time hunting for the right tools, this probably would have only taken me a weekend finish.