I've been playing for about 5 years now, and I still think I totally suck! Starting over has been in my mind for a while, and I think it would be the best decision. I was thinking of keeping it mostly exercises, with learning maybe a new song a week. Do you guys have any ideas on how to go on about this? I was thinking this

What I've noticed is that I'm completely god awful at doing quick bend leads, for example, the first solo in The Trooper. I can't do the second part of it where he bends and switches strings so fast, yet I can sweep moderately well. I feel like I skipped a whole part of learning guitar, simple basics like that.

Here's the plan: Play up and down the modes in different keys for 15 minutes, starting at 80 bpm, starting over everytime I mess up. and go up 5 every two days in order to gain complete muscle control. Do the same for basic arpeggios for superior accuracy. I will be doing this every day.

I will also be learning a new solo a week. Classic rock isn't really my style, but the solo's incorporate many bends and quick string switching, which I'm bad at. I've already learned Another Brick in the Wall's solo, and I can play it pretty clean now.

What do you guys think about this whole idea? What are some other solo's that would get me to where I need to be?
Last edited by llanafreak44 at Sep 8, 2010,
What you are saying is basically just coming across to me that you want to practice more......which is what i would do if i were in your situation. You shouldn't start over as such but just keep practicing ...thats what i do when i can't nail something.

Practice is the key.

On the subject of solos you should learn, i would help you but i don't know if you are into the music i am. But i shall suggest learning some of the Fade to Black solo by Metallica seeing as you have to do some quick bends then have to change to a different string to pull of and then yet again back to another one!

So give that a shot

Hope i helped
My Gear

Epiphone Les Paul Special 2
Esp-Ltd Kh-202
Custom '86 Fender Stratocaster
Ibanez JS-100
Peavy Bandit 65
Line 6 Spider iii 30
Zoom G2
Start practicing properly.

What i mean is, if you can't do them bends, don't attempt to do them at speed. Get them where you're comfortable at playing them, even if that is 15bpm. Then start to increase. This will definitely help you. You don't need to start again, just just need to work on cleaning up the skills you already have. This way it will only take 6 months of intense practice before you see really good results, rather then the year or two it may take a beginner.
^^^ This too...i forgot to mention it
My Gear

Epiphone Les Paul Special 2
Esp-Ltd Kh-202
Custom '86 Fender Stratocaster
Ibanez JS-100
Peavy Bandit 65
Line 6 Spider iii 30
Zoom G2
Thanks for the words guys. I'm going to definitely stick with my routine, I'm already feeling more accurate. I'll learn the Fade To Black solo.
When I first was learning The Trooper, I slowed that part of the solo down. Playing fast with the bends at the end gave me some difficulty because it just feels weird.

Separate it out and just play one progression slowly, then when you can play it once at speed try doing it two times in a row, then three, then four, etc. Eventually you will be playing it at speed accurately and will feel proud

Fade to Black is a great song for this technique. The progressions within the solo on that are about half to 3/4 the speed of The Trooper. If you master those, chances are you will be able to learn The Trooper pretty easily.