The Suckerpunch is way to big to take to Afghanistan(Nor would I take it) so I am needing a small amp to take with. Now I know the usual suggestion is the Vypr 15, but would one of the low end small tube amps like the Bugera V5, Vox ACTV4, or possibly the new Blackstar 1R with some pedals work better? I am taking a guitar loaded with Blackouts, and I like AC/DC to BFMV and most in between those styles. Now I know that a small practice amp wont nail those tones but it will get me in the ballpark. Thanks guys.
Gear-
ESP LTD Deluxe EC-1000 VB
Epiphone Negative G-400 SG
Jackson Dinky
Custom Explorer
Custom V(being built)
CEC Amplification Suckerpunch 15
Catalinbread DLS v2
Humphrey Audio Slo/Diezel mod MT-2
Monsterpiece NPN/Classic
The Bugera and your incoming MT-2 mod would work pretty nicely for just about everything. Haven't heard anything about reliability issues with those unlike the Peavey clones.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
I know its hated alot but the line 6 spider is a pretty good amp that covers alot of ranges and is pretty good for metal (at least in my opinion). Also Give the old micro cube ago, it might surprise you.
Quote by Guitarism12
I know its hated alot but the line 6 spider is a pretty good amp that covers alot of ranges and is pretty good for metal (at least in my opinion). Also Give the old micro cube ago, it might surprise you.

Running a modded MT-2 into a Spider would be like running a Rottweiler into a housecat.

It's not gonna work.

I'd second the Bugera.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Thanks guys, so 2 for the V5 so far I will have to check it out. But keep the suggestions coming
Gear-
Jackson Dinky
Custom Explorer
Custom V(being built)
Catalinbread DLS v2
Monsterpiece NPN/Classic
I'd go with the SS Vypyr just for the reliability. I'd imagine you'd be hauling that around every now and then, and you'd probably also have difficulty findings tubes to buy in case it blows.
Fender 1996 Floyd Rose Standard Stratocaster
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon
Marshall RG-1 Regenerator
Electro-Harmonix/Sovtek (Black) Big Muff Pi

Visit my site for some FREE RE-AMPING! http://www.wix.com/reamps/reamp
Not to ask you to tip your hand, so to speak, but are you going to have access to an electrical outlet where you're being deployed? Afghanistan uses 220V and those 2-prong round plug electrical sockets, and your basic travel voltage adapter that people use for their electric razors isn't going to cut it with a guitar amplifier.

Unless you are guaranteed to have regular access to an American-style 120V outlet, I'd look at some of the battery-operated practice amplifiers like the Roland Cube ST:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Roland-CUBE-Street-Battery-Powered-Stereo-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=481658

Watch out for yourself over there, too.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Last edited by FatalGear41 at Sep 8, 2010,
Quote by FatalGear41
Not to ask you to tip your hand, so to speak, but are you going to have access to an electrical outlet where you're being deployed? Afghanistan uses 220V and those 2-prong round plug electrical sockets, and your basic travel voltage adapter that people use for their electric razors isn't going to cut it with a guitar amplifier.

Unless you are guaranteed to have regular access to an American-style 120V outlet, I'd look at some of the battery-operated practice amplifiers like the Roland Cube 30X:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Roland-CUBE30X-Guitar-Combo-Amplifier?sku=487032

That's a good point. Might wanna try looking at ordering something from Europe? Or find out if the V5's transformer does have the right taps for 220 (most likely it has the same transformer as the European ones, just using different taps). If so, all you need to do is resolder some wires.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
I would suggest the Vox Amplugs (Lead or Metal specifically), battery powered, extremely portable and small, but it seems you're pretty set on an actual amp. Look out for yourself mate, stay in one piece.
FatalGear41 and Kanthras, thank you for looking out, this will be my 5th trip to the region so I have plenty of step down transformers that will handle an amp. BB Pro, Id still have to get a cab or something to run it through correct?
Gear-
Jackson Dinky
Custom Explorer
Custom V(being built)
Catalinbread DLS v2
Monsterpiece NPN/Classic
Take a Vox amplug, you don't wanna piss off the natives, they gots guns.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
Quote by 1ArmyGuitar
FatalGear41 and Kanthras, thank you for looking out, this will be my 5th trip to the region so I have plenty of step down transformers that will handle an amp. BB Pro, Id still have to get a cab or something to run it through correct?

Are you taking your laptop with you?

If so, just grab a good set of headphones and get an Amplitube 3 Stealth Pedal. Ultra-portable and should sound fantastic
Quote by 1ArmyGuitar

Correct... But a small 1x10 cab might do it?

If you end up getting a small head as your primary amp, the cab could be used by both.

Just an idea... Your call.
Last edited by BurstBucker Pro at Sep 8, 2010,
from what i`ve seen on the news afghanistan is a dusty country, i`d give strong consideration to just taking a really cheap acoustic that you wouldn`t mind getting beat up, unless you are actually going to be putting on a gig for the rest of your regiment.......
Thanks guys for all the input I am gonna weigh all the options and see what will work best, but for the money the 15/30 VYPR or the Bugera V5 with some of my pedals my be the best option. I am taking my RG3 which I have upgraded w/BO's. It has a good case and Ill be living under cover so it will probably hold up better than my acoustic.
Gear-
Jackson Dinky
Custom Explorer
Custom V(being built)
Catalinbread DLS v2
Monsterpiece NPN/Classic
Quote by 1ArmyGuitar
Thanks guys for all the input I am gonna weigh all the options and see what will work best, but for the money the 15/30 VYPR or the Bugera V5 with some of my pedals my be the best option. I am taking my RG3 which I have upgraded w/BO's. It has a good case and Ill be living under cover so it will probably hold up better than my acoustic.
Under cover?

Do a hard rockin' cover of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPudiBR15mk&ob=av3e
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Quote by Kanthras
Under cover?

Do a hard rockin' cover of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPudiBR15mk&ob=av3e

Meaning under shelter of some sort, I couldnt see the vid due to Sony Copy right crap
Gear-
Jackson Dinky
Custom Explorer
Custom V(being built)
Catalinbread DLS v2
Monsterpiece NPN/Classic
Quote by FatalGear41

and Sand.
Watch out for sand.
Shit gets everywhere.
Signatures are for pussies. Wait....
I don't remember your genres but I'll throw the Superchamp XD out there... Best of both worlds; tube and modeling.

Be safe man, we're all thankful for your contribution and we want a safe return home to your family. (The US in general not just UG.)
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
I don't remember your genres but I'll throw the Superchamp XD out there... Best of both worlds; tube and modeling.

Be safe man, we're all thankful for your contribution and we want a safe return home to your family. (The US in general not just UG.)

Big +1

Quote by sidawg
and Sand.
Watch out for sand.
Shit gets everywhere.

you bumped a 2 month old thread to warn him about the sand
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Nov 3, 2010,
I want to continue to thank you guys for the support, and I am still uncertain on what to get. As of now a few of my co-workers and I ,are gonna try and start a makeshift band. So I will really need an amp/program or both that will be the most well rounded for Classic to Heavy Rock!
Gear-
Jackson Dinky
Custom Explorer
Custom V(being built)
Catalinbread DLS v2
Monsterpiece NPN/Classic
Buy this, this should be easy to haul around.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Marshall-Plexi-1959SLP--1960AX-and-1960BX-Tube-Guitar-Full-Stack-773030-i1323287.gc

or something even better.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Line-6-POD-HD300-Guitar-Multi-Effects-Processor-106089733-i1540621.gc

and use headphones or a small powered cabinet/studio monitor for it.
Current Equipment

-ESP LTD F-50
-Ibanez RG120
-Peavey Vypyr 30 x2
-Hondo Les Paul 79'
-Marshalls MG10
-Boss DS-1 Pedal
Quote by Imapinkboi
Buy this, this should be easy to haul around.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Marshall-Plexi-1959SLP--1960AX-and-1960BX-Tube-Guitar-Full-Stack-773030-i1323287.gc

or something even better.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Line-6-POD-HD300-Guitar-Multi-Effects-Processor-106089733-i1540621.gc

and use headphones or a small powered cabinet/studio monitor for it.

Really a half stack? Uhhhhh NO!
Gear-
Jackson Dinky
Custom Explorer
Custom V(being built)
Catalinbread DLS v2
Monsterpiece NPN/Classic
Thanks for the heads up on the Sand 311, LOL! As far as software goes, I am not sure how far we are gonna take this "Band" thing. So I dont know if a computer rig with recording options is a choice or just a computer rig to replace amps and pedals.
Gear-
Jackson Dinky
Custom Explorer
Custom V(being built)
Catalinbread DLS v2
Monsterpiece NPN/Classic
STOP STOP STOP!

Exactly how many of you have taken an amp with you to Afghanistan? Me neither, but I've taken one to Iraq twice, so I'd say that counts for something.

someone said this earlier... not to steal your thunder, but:

TS, **** your tone. Doesn't matter in the sandbox. You want reliability. What are you going to do when/if your tubes blow prematurely, or that bug's transformer decides to take a dump on middle-eastern power?

Portability is also a MAJOR concern, unless you don't mind possibly having to abandon your gear.

best setup I've ever come across for a warzone is software on a laptop. pick up a cheap interface and you're set. need to get louder? one of the haji shops will have external computer speakers for damn cheap.

DO NOT TAKE A TUBE AMP TO THE DESERT WITH YOU!
...bad juju.
Grisky thanks, I was leaning more towards a SS or software for those reasons. This is my 4th go round but the last 3 guitar wasnt in my life, so I figure where better to focus on it and make time fly!
Gear-
Jackson Dinky
Custom Explorer
Custom V(being built)
Catalinbread DLS v2
Monsterpiece NPN/Classic
Quote by GrisKy
1. '...to Iraq twice, so I'd say that counts for something.'

2. 'juju'.

1. Thanks for that. That counts for a lot in my book.
2. Thanks for using this term. Everyone else has mojo... I have juju.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
I'd take a Pod of some sort, but if you're looking to jam with others I'd opt for a small modeling
amp and save the tube amps for stateside. Thanks for your service.
Quote by 1ArmyGuitar
Grisky thanks, I was leaning more towards a SS or software for those reasons. This is my 4th go round but the last 3 guitar wasnt in my life, so I figure where better to focus on it and make time fly!

Grab some software and a cheapass interface + headphones for you laptop. Like Grisky said, some cheapo comp speakers there will do the trick. I doubt someone will lug around a drumkit to keep up with anyway....

Grab that and some freeware plugins and you'll be set and sound smashing. Google on impulses and Lepou
WTLTL 2011