Page 1 of 13
Since most of this forum is US and UK (and a smidgen of Aussie from what I've seen), I fancy asking quite a blunt question...

What is the general american opinion of us brits (already know how the Aussie's feel, I go there all the time since my sister lives near Sydney)? This is the opinion of us as a nation on the whole not of specific individuals as each nation obviously has a full spectrum of characters...

What is the stereotypical English person to you guys? If I was to believe Family Guy (one of my all time favourite comedies), you see us as ultra-posh, tea-from-a-cup-and-saucer drinking, badly-in-need-of-dental-work kinda nation

We might address the british opinion of the yanks later, but you guys get offended a lot easier than we do

p.s. please don't turn this into a flame thread! could be a genuinely interesting topic is nobody goes off on one!
'93 Gibson Les Paul Special (Heritage Cherry) - modded with SD P90s (Vintage & Hot)
'06 Yamaha RGX520FZ (Translucent Dark Red)
Laney VC15 (Ltd. Edition Old English White)
Jim Dunlop Original Crybaby
Boss DS-1
Last edited by SooTyLaD at Sep 8, 2010,
Inb4 me raging at people not getting the distinction between British and English.
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
The UK sucks!

<.<

>.>
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
Quote by TheBurningFish
Inb4 me raging at people not getting the distinction between British and English.
hehe, I read that and thought... now he's got to be Scottish! - then I looked over at location

Fine, lets go with English for now
'93 Gibson Les Paul Special (Heritage Cherry) - modded with SD P90s (Vintage & Hot)
Boss DS-1
Bad teeth and oral odor, distanced conversations preferred.
hide your kids, hide your wife.

Quote by angus_young_32
I'd rather kill myself than commit suicide.

UG Hatecrew FTW
Quote by SooTyLaD
hehe, I read that and thought... now he's got to be Scottish! - then I looked over at location

Fine, lets go with English for now

I was born in England, it's just a lot of people seem to forget that England and the UK aren't synonymous and it's a bit insulting to marginalise people like that.

They are our brothers. Our funny accented, tea drinking brothers who pay way too much for gasoline/petrol.
Hey look, a stoner/doom album.

GENERATION 27: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

E-father of TheSPillow/Sam
E-brothers with Entity0009
Quote by Gyroscope
You guys are all better than us, obviously.

hide your kids, hide your wife.

Quote by angus_young_32
I'd rather kill myself than commit suicide.

UG Hatecrew FTW
I'm culturally retarded, so explain the difference between the UK, Britain, and England for me, please?

Anyways, I see people over there as pretty much the same as Americans. Except that for some reason you think your humor is funnier, and you're smarter for liking it. Sorry guys, I consider myself a pretty smart guy, and your comedy usually just comes off as bland to me.
politically: great allies, as are most of the British colonies.
as people: in general, Europeans are not as fat and smoke. But in specific you Brits have bad teeth >.> (sorry i had to)
although you do have top gear... ill give you that .

edit: you know what real tea is, and you pay a crap ton of money for gas/petrol .
Survivor of:
Maryland Deathfest X
Maryland Deathfest XI
Maryland Deathfest XII
Last edited by rushpython at Sep 8, 2010,
Quote by GogglesVK
I'm culturally retarded, so explain the difference between the UK, Britain, and England for me, please?

UK is England, Ireland, Northern Ireland, Wales and a few others.

England is England.
Seems like a fine country. Though in my experience, Brits tend to bash the US all the time, but they get all offended if you bash their country back.

Brit: Haha, Americans are lazy and fat. Your country is full of retards!
American: You have Chavs
Brit: LEAVE IT TO A TYPICAL AMERICAN TO JUDGE ALL BRITS BASED ON SOME DUMB STEREOTYPE!!!
Check out my band Disturbed
Last edited by StewieSwan at Sep 8, 2010,
Good: Top Gear.
Bad: How you take your tea. Milk? Honey? Sugar? What is this bullshit?
Uneducated, foul-mouthed, alcoholic. And loud.
Quote by Gabel
You are EXTREMELY WRONG! I have played it. I own an 18W and it would be an awful stereo amp, it's way too bright, breaks up too easily and so on. Secondly, why would a guitar store sell an hifi amp.
Quote by GogglesVK

Anyways, I see people over there as pretty much the same as Americans. Except that for some reason you think your humor is funnier, and you're smarter for liking it. Sorry guys, I consider myself a pretty smart guy, and your comedy usually just comes off as bland to me.
England is just that, the one country with London as its capital, Great Britain is England, Scotland and Wales, and the UK is England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland (hence why the full name is "The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland")...

The British Isles is the complete package also containing The Republic of Ireland

And as for our humour... got damn it really is better! Although I very much also like US comedy its seems every joke needs to be in your face and fully explained

(EDIT: a good example of the difference in comedy is Ricky Gervais's original version of The Office vs what the American's did to it... still kinda funny but in such a different way...)
Boss DS-1
Quote by GogglesVK

The United Kingdom is the country, which involves the states of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland (as well as Gibraltar and a few other wee things). Britain is the big island most of the UK involves, which means Wales, England and most of Scotland. England is the biggest state in the United Kingdom.

Calling the UK "England" would be like calling the USA "Texas".

UK -- United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland (England, Wales, Scotland, Northern ireland)
Great Britain -- The actual island that England, Scotland and Wales are on.
England -- A country
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
We do not have bad teeth! We have better dental care than the US, and a working health system ( although how long it'll last once Twatdledum and twatdlee in charge get their way)
Quote by TheBurningFish
The United Kingdom is the country, which involves the states of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland (as well as Gibraltar and a few other wee things). Britain is the big island most of the UK involves, which means Wales, England and most of Scotland. England is the biggest state in the United Kingdom.

Calling the UK "England" would be like calling the USA "Texas".

England is not the Texas of the UK, you bloody Scot.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Quote by Kyle Gass
SHENANIGANS

You are getting upset rather easily. Hmm...

You one of them British people?
Quote by Gabel
You are EXTREMELY WRONG! I have played it. I own an 18W and it would be an awful stereo amp, it's way too bright, breaks up too easily and so on. Secondly, why would a guitar store sell an hifi amp.
Overall, a rainy grey nation of moaning curmudgeonly alcoholic pedants. Best nation for comedy though, through which I've managed to pick up a lot of perceptions of groups within the UK.

I'm not American though, but I have prepared for this eventuality by describing you as pedants, meaning you'll prove my stereotyping correct if you point this out.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
literally none of us(americans) know that the UK is different from england. its kind of annoying.
Quote by rabidguitarist
England is not the Texas of the UK, you bloody Scot.

I said Texas because it is the biggest state in the US, like England is in the UK.

Quote by rickyj
literally none of us(americans) know that the UK is different from england. its kind of annoying.

Nice contradiction.
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by Kyle Gass
SHENANIGANS!

I'm no tea drinking, queen serving, redcoat.

(Invalid img)

You best be tellin' the truth...
Quote by Gabel
Quote by whalepudding
Overall, a rainy grey nation of moaning curmudgeonly alcoholic pedants. Best nation for comedy though, through which I've managed to pick up a lot of perceptions of groups within the UK.

I'm not American though, but I have prepared for this eventuality by describing you as pedants, meaning you'll prove my stereotyping correct if you point this out.

silence you filthy convict, go back to your deadly animal infested prison isle!
Quote by Rockstar12345
One does not simply walk onto a Chav's lawn
they're, on a whole, just as loud, fat, stupid, and obnoxious and think they're the best thing since sliced bread as the USA are.

And, just like any other country, there are just as many kind, healthy and intelligent people that realise that every country has it's pros and cons and it's stupid to have "Us vs. Them" arguments, especially if you've never been to the country yourself.

EDIT: that being said, the British have created the only food I've EVER not liked.

English Baked Beans. URGH *shudders*
Last edited by CoreysMonster at Sep 8, 2010,
I dont know about these guys from the US, but im from England and i cant stand it here.

edit, i do like the healthcare though, even though the NHS dont do shit half the time
Quote by rgrockr
You can buy whatever guitar you want, you don't have to be at a certain skill level to buy one. This is real life, not some guitar-playing RPG where you have to unlock new guitars.
Last edited by kakos at Sep 8, 2010,
As far as I remember from my visits to the Yanktank, every restaurant serves fries and a hamburger somewhere on its menu.

The UK is great. I wish I'd never left.

Oh, and to the Americans bad mouthing us. I'm sorry, I can't hear you over our free healthcare.
Quote by CoreysMonster
they're, on a whole, just as loud, fat, stupid, and obnoxious and think they're the best thing since sliced bread as the USA are.

And, just like any other country, there are just as many kind, healthy and intelligent people that realise that every country has it's pros and cons and it's stupid to have "Us vs. Them" arguments, especially if you've never been to the country yourself.

The first part made me want to say something about Germany, but the second part filled me with shame.

Quote by Gabel