This year PRS did a limited run of 50 Lefty McCarty's and 50 Custom 22s (apparently for the UK and Canada only). In the UK these cost £3300 ($5100ish) and £3500 ($5375ish) respectively.

Being left handed I don't have any experience with PRS and i'm struggling to eek out any reason why they could possibly be worth anything like this sort of money. Can anyone help?

I've had a quick look around and right handed Custom 22s seem to start at around £2000. Surely they aren't almost twice the price because they are left handed or because they are limited editions?

Or maybe these are just higher quality than the average model. Here is a link to one for sale at my local store, but there isn't really a whole lot of information to go on... http://guitarguitar.co.uk/left_guitars_detail.asp?stock=10051815433558
they are not aimed at your average lefty, more collectors or rich guys. I would assume its because they are left handed
if you're near guitar guitar, that's good- they have lots of nice stuff (though being a lefty isn't going to help much )- as well as prs, also try stuff like nik huber, tyler, suhr, anderson , collings etc. if they have any lefty models.

I'm not too sure if all that extra money is because it's a lefty or because it's a ltd edition (or a bit of both). That's an awful lot of money. I mean the PRSes I've tried have been nice, but the only ones I've really liked, where I was like, "Wow, that's an awesome guitar!" were where they were getting up to the crazy money, £3k and up, and I'm not sure they're worth that, you can get similar quality from other brands for less.

Up to you, of course, if you try them and love them by all means get one. If it's worth it to you, it's worth it. Just make sure you try as many of its high-end competitors as you can before you buy one.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I have a custom 24 and its awesome, just sayin man
Gear:
Blackstar HT-5 Half Stack
Damage control Solid Metal
Boss Flanger
Electro-Harmonix Q-Tron+
Dunlop 535Q Wah
General Guitar Gadgets ITS8 Overdrive
Marshall MS-4 Ministack

Guitars:

PRS Custom 24

Washburn D10 Quilted Bubinga
it's both. it's a very limited run, and it's a lefty as said.

that's not a regular run custom 22, it's more like an artist series. in the states, that's a $4000 guitar for a righty.

i also agree that you should try the brands Dave_Mc listed, and anything hi-end you can get your hands on really.

good luck and let us know what you find.

if you do go for that prs, make them discount it - they have some room. limited run or not, it's a big cost to them and they want to move it.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
You wouldnt regret it if you bought a USA made PRS. Ive owned 3 us made prs guitars and i never regret it. You should do it, its absolutly worth the money.
I had a quick scout around and found a few for sale in Canada. IN TOTAL including shipping to UK, import Duty, VAT etc etc.. £2800

That's absolutely disgusting isn't it. £700 difference and thats after costs. If I lived in the States it would be £2200 ... 1300 QUID less! Unbelievable. At £2200 I'd buy the guitar in a heartbeat.

Looks like I need to either move or find some good Euro brands
PRS don't make any left hand models and haven't for a few years now. This is a very limited run and as PRS don't normally produce lefty models I suspect they had to seriously reconfigure their manufacturing facility to produce this limited run (one reason for high prices). I agree the price in the UK is extortionate.

Personally I would rather spend my money supporting a brand that supports lefties as opposed to one that produces ultra-high priced models in very limited quantities once every few years. This feels like a marketing exercise to me - it has certainly generated lots of discussion. It's a shame as PRS produce some beautiful models.
You're left-handed and it's a PRS. What more justification do you need? If you've got the cash, then grab it!
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by FatalGear41
You're left-handed and it's a PRS. What more justification do you need? If you've got the cash, then grab it!

Well for one thing I despise PRS and their discriminatory business model. They just so happen to make guitars that I find incredibly appealing, but at that price they're absolutely having a laugh. I could import one for far less but I don't want to throw my money behind such a small minded company.

Thanks for the replies though guys, seems PRS is definitely not the route to take
Quote by Vialli
PRS don't make any left hand models and haven't for a few years now. This is a very limited run and as PRS don't normally produce lefty models I suspect they had to seriously reconfigure their manufacturing facility to produce this limited run (one reason for high prices). I agree the price in the UK is extortionate.

it certainly does go against the grain of normalcy for them. reversed models entered into the cnc machines etc.

still, i don't think i would drop $5k on one, and i own 3 usa prs guitars. also, i'm not a collector or rich guy lol.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by beedster

Looks like I need to either move or find some good Euro brands

nik huber is european... now, they're still really dear, but at least they're dear everywhere

Quote by gregs1020

i also agree that you should try the brands Dave_Mc listed, and anything hi-end you can get your hands on really.

yeah, guitar guitar has tons of good brands, those are just the few I could think of. Basically try every lefty guitar they have, kind of thing.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by beedster
Well for one thing I despise PRS and their discriminatory business model. They just so happen to make guitars that I find incredibly appealing, but at that price they're absolutely having a laugh. I could import one for far less but I don't want to throw my money behind such a small minded company.

Thanks for the replies though guys, seems PRS is definitely not the route to take

I totally agree. I'm a lefty and would love to get my hands on a PRS, but I can't because of my cack-handedness. I hate the fact that they don't make lefty models.
Actually, buying any guitar is a nightmare when you're left handed. I've been into guitar shops/school that have told me they actually discourage people from learning left handed. Which offended me, slightly.

There's nothing wrong with being left handed
I shall grant you three wishes.

None of which will work.

Does the above post enrage, offend or confuse you?

Good.

I like my women how I like my guitars. Curvy and like it when I finger them.
Oh, I love being left handed for sure. If I was a righty I'd probably be playing a Gibson or some other common as muck boring guitar, but because the choice is more limited i'm forced to look further afield and discover some of the hidden gems.

I have a deposit down on a guitar from a new UK company that i'm super excited about, I would never have found out about them if I wasn't a lefty. Finding this company has also lead me to find another company that the same luthier runs which I will no doubt try next as well. Since these companies are UK based i'm getting a lot more bang for my buck.

I've been into guitar shops/school that have told me they actually discourage people from learning left handed.

I hate that too yeah. Let's face it, if they convince someone to learn right handed they are far more likely to become repeat customers. A lefty is hardly going to go back to look at the lone MIM Strat they have in the corner. Asking someone to sacrifice potential skill for a little extra choice is just moronic. Personally I'd hate to be right handed, it's so...run of the mill. No offense

It's definitely getting better though. When I was at uni my local store had 2 left handed guitars in total. Now a few years later my new store (GuitarGuitar) has pretty much at least 2 of each brand in store and in the case of acoustics they will have several of each brand. Even though I seem to be moving away from the big brands more and more, it's nice to see things getting better for the lefty player.
i'm righty and I look pretty far afield.

who have you ordered a guitar from, out of interest?

It would suck being a lefty guitarist, in terms of availability and prices- I would say try to learn righty if you're ambidextrous. Not that being a lefty is wrong, but you'll have a lot more choice if you play right-handed, plus they'll be a bit cheaper. It's not worth it if it messes up your playing, but if you're one of the lucky few who could learn and play equally well either right- or left-handed, it makes more sense to learn right-handed.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
It's limited.
It's lefty.
You're lefty.

Get it now, maybe play with it once and a while, keep it in a hardshell case, sell it down the line in 10 years, buy 5 lefty guitars of equal value with the profit.
Quote by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?

Would you run down past the fence?

Tell us, is the black box lying?
Quote by Dave_Mc

It would suck being a lefty guitarist, in terms of availability and prices- I would say try to learn righty if you're ambidextrous. Not that being a lefty is wrong, but you'll have a lot more choice if you play right-handed, plus they'll be a bit cheaper.

It certainly does not "suck"..anything but to be honest. There are discriminatory laws in place to prevent companies from overcharging for lefty guitars, if there is an increase in price it's very minimal and definitely not a reason to play the wrong way.

The whole 'lack of choice' argument is the one I see the most and to be honest it's just pathetic. Like I said, there is plenty of choice for us, especially from the smaller companies who usually make almost all of their line left handed. It's just incredibly pathetic and shallow to learn to play guitar the wrong way around and potentially sacrifice skill in return for a few extra guitars from the big (read - overpriced) boys.
Quote by beedster
It certainly does not "suck"..anything but to be honest. There are discriminatory laws in place to prevent companies from overcharging for lefty guitars, if there is an increase in price it's very minimal and definitely not a reason to play the wrong way.

The whole 'lack of choice' argument is the one I see the most and to be honest it's just pathetic. Like I said, there is plenty of choice for us, especially from the smaller companies who usually make almost all of their line left handed. It's just incredibly pathetic and shallow to learn to play guitar the wrong way around and potentially sacrifice skill in return for a few extra guitars from the big (read - overpriced) boys.

what companies are these [the ones who make their lines entirely lefty] ? cos i sure as hell havent ever seen one. and if you say red planet guitars ill hunt you down! :P
I said 'almost' all their line But off the top of my head you've got Taylor, Martin, Larrivee, Schecter, Carvin, Suhr, Tom Anderson. And then you've got the smaller companies who make most lefty as well. Chapman Guitars is a new UK company who have promised to make all guitars as a lefty option - I have a deposit down on one that is currently being built. Chapman's luthier Jaden Rose also runs his own business making high end (and soon mid-range) guitars which are all available lefty. You've also got companies like Gaskell and JLK Guitars who only make lefty guitars.

The G.A.S must be horrendous for a righty, but to be honest I feel like i'm completely spoiled for choice as a lefty. Which is why I find it so bizarre when people seem to think its hell on earth being a left handed...it really isn't. I have literally thousands of guitars to choose from, how anyone can think that's limiting is beyond me
Quote by beedster
I said 'almost' all their line But off the top of my head you've got Taylor, Martin, Larrivee, Schecter, Carvin, Suhr, Tom Anderson. And then you've got the smaller companies who make most lefty as well. Chapman Guitars is a new UK company who have promised to make all guitars as a lefty option - I have a deposit down on one that is currently being built. Chapman's luthier Jaden Rose also runs his own business making high end (and soon mid-range) guitars which are all available lefty. You've also got companies like Gaskell and JLK Guitars who only make lefty guitars.

The G.A.S must be horrendous for a righty, but to be honest I feel like i'm completely spoiled for choice as a lefty. Which is why I find it so bizarre when people seem to think its hell on earth being a left handed...it really isn't. I have literally thousands of guitars to choose from, how anyone can think that's limiting is beyond me

thats the thing though, for the price of those i could get a big brand custom made
Quote by beedster

Most of the increases I see are a fair bit. I don't agree with them either, but they're there (the last time I looked, anyway).

I don't own any guitars from the big boys- I prefer smaller brands too. But unless you live in a big city, you're going to struggle to find too many left-handed guitars to even try. I might buy one guitar, but it's nice being able to walk into a shop to try 15 different ones to find the exact one you want. Or walk into several shops to try 15 in each. Unless you happen to live near one of the few shops aimed at lefties, that's not happening if you play left-handed.

I agree wholeheartedly that it's not worth playing worse, but then I said that already in my first post. I said if you were capable of playing equally well left-handed or right-handed, that you should probably decide to learn to play right-handed. I know I would, were I left-handed but fairly ambidextrous.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?