Ive been on the look out for a fuzz pedal and have decided on the Zvex Fuzz Factory. My question relates to the pricing - the standard hand-painted version seems to cost around £230, whereas the non hand-painted Vexter Fuzz Factory looks to be around £120.

Does that difference in price only relate to the hand-painting, or is there an actual difference in quality (parts, sound etc)?
Guitars
Ibanez RG350MYE
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Tanglewood Evo Exotic TSF CE XFM

Amps
Vox Night Train w/ V112NT
Vox Valvetronix VT30

GAS List
MIA Strat
Schecter Blackjack ATX C-7
Diezel VH4

"Negative, I am a meat popsicle"
No difference in parts or sound. All that extra money is for it to be hand-painted. Oh and you're gonna have soooo much fun when you get it Amazing pedal.
There is no difference in construction at all.

I find it completly pathetic that they charge an extra £110, just because it's hand painted, it's not like a masterpiece is it, just some bubble writing, what a joke.

Either way, good sounding pedal if you're into that kinda thing.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
Ok cheers! Theres no real point in me getting one of the hand-painted versions, the pedals probably going to end up being built into one of my guitars anyway. Not that im a Matt Bellamy fanboy or anything

And yeah it looks like a loada fun
Guitars
Ibanez RG350MYE
Yamaha Pacifica 012

Amps
Vox Valvetronix VT30

GAS List
MIA Strat
Diezel VH4

Quote by barfrog
The pedals probably going to end up being built into one of my guitars anyway. Not that im a Matt Bellamy fanboy or anything

Lame.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
Its more for convenience than anything, im often at friends houses jamming so its one less pedal i have to transport. And it doesnt look cool in a gig situation to bend down mid-song and adjust your pedal settings. Ive already built an MXR Carbon Copy into my Yamaha - it just screams convenience.

At any rate, i dont see how its "lame".
Guitars
Ibanez RG350MYE
Yamaha Pacifica 012

Amps
Vox Valvetronix VT30

GAS List
MIA Strat
Diezel VH4

Because you like Muse, Bellamy does that with the exact same pedal, lame.
Quote by nightraven
lifetime warranty and http://zvex.com/customs.html

Some of those designs are awsome! Not woth £100 extra though.
what I've heard is that the handpainted ones are actually made by zach, the rest are made by employees. if thats true, IMO that warrants some extra cash.

they also come with a lifetime warranty, which the other series don't.

they also have MUCH better resale.

though none of that really matters if youre gonna stick it in a guitar
Quote by barfrog
Its more for convenience than anything, im often at friends houses jamming so its one less pedal i have to transport. And it doesnt look cool in a gig situation to bend down mid-song and adjust your pedal settings. Ive already built an MXR Carbon Copy into my Yamaha - it just screams convenience.

At any rate, i dont see how its "lame".

Again, if it was something I really needed to adjust midsong, i would figure out a way to do it easier than putting in my guitar.

Carbon Copy in a guitar?
I dunno, I don't need to adjust settings on the fly that much. I find that the more you have to fiddle with something, the easier it is to **** up. I try and avoid any possible problems at gigs.
If you really need to switch settings that much, I'm sure it helps.
why not just build your own fuzz pedal and put that into your guitar?, this way you can build it so you know that it will fit etc . . . .
it'd be alot cheaper, and you might naff somthing up trying to put it in your guitar
spending £120 on a pedal, just to rip it apart and have it as a little gimmik in your guitar . . . seems a bit of a waste to me
Quote by Led Dirigible
Crickets have too much high end for my tastes. I prefer a nice beetle, lots of warm low end.

tl;dr put a beetle in your amp for superior toanz.

Guitars: Schecter C-1 Classic
Westfeild LP e4500
Amp: Vox AD15VT
Since youre in the UK, you get a kit and build one yourself for like £35.

http://www.musikding.de/product_info.php/info/p2192_The-Factory--germanium-fuzz-kit.html

Exact clone of the FF, besides the PCB layout.

Considering how simple the circuit is I would never pay that amount of money for it.

Especially if you want it just for sticking into your guitar.

Lifetime warranty for the handpainted stuff?
You could rebuild that pedal yourself like 6 times over for cheaper that the price difference.

I'm not getting into this debate again tho.

But for TS's purposes, and it seems like he can operate a soldering iron, i'm sure you'd agree building it himself would be the best solution.
Quote by FuzzLove
Because you like Muse, Bellamy does that with the exact same pedal, lame.

Ok

Quote by forsaknazrael
Again, if it was something I really needed to adjust midsong, i would figure out a way to do it easier than putting in my guitar.

Carbon Copy in a guitar?
I dunno, I don't need to adjust settings on the fly that much. I find that the more you have to fiddle with something, the easier it is to **** up. I try and avoid any possible problems at gigs.
If you really need to switch settings that much, I'm sure it helps.

Yeah the Carbon Copy seemed like a good idea at the time, it has its uses but i think i went too far with that one

I do have quite alot of time on my hands however, and modding guitars is something i enjoy, even if some of the mods are kinda gimmicky. The FF would make much more sense, especially since the stability and compression controls would be immediately accessable. If i decide to go through with it, that is.

Quote by beckyjc

http://www.musikding.de/product_info.php/info/p2192_The-Factory--germanium-fuzz-kit.html

Considering how simple the circuit is I would never pay that amount of money for it.

Especially if you want it just for sticking into your guitar.

Lifetime warranty for the handpainted stuff?
You could rebuild that pedal yourself like 6 times over for cheaper that the price difference.

I'm not getting into this debate again tho.

But for TS's purposes, and it seems like he can operate a soldering iron, i'm sure you'd agree building it himself would be the best solution.

Im a little scepticle about using clones but that looks brilliant for the price. The only thing is that i really need the pedal as it comes, since i wont have access to most of the tools id need til at least after Christmas. Plus the whole "FF-in-guitar" thing is just an idea at the moment.

Thanks anyway though, ill definitely keep that in mind for future mods
Guitars
Ibanez RG350MYE
Yamaha Pacifica 012

Amps
Vox Valvetronix VT30

GAS List
MIA Strat
Diezel VH4

Quote by beckyjc

Why have I never seen this before, I'm actually getting one as soon as I get payed!
^They also have the SHO, Theres another site that has a kit with the PCB being a direct clone of the ZVEX one, 9mm PCB mounted pots and alll

http://uk-electronic.de/onlineshop/product_info.php/cPath/105_193/products_id/1498?osCsid=1b7360a3ed3d577251e0ba6ab230dc38

Bit more expensive. They have loads of other boutique kits too, stuff like the Klon centaur, zendrive, BOR.

^^^Musikding has a soldering iron for €3 (i got one, works fine, you just need a adapter for the plug so it fits into UK sockets), solder for €1 and you can get a cordless drill for a tenner from argos these days. Its gunna work out wayy cheaper than buying one. Talking like £40 tops. Though its you're decision. And if you broke anything in the process of building it into a guitar, well, not much loss.
Last edited by beckyjc at Sep 8, 2010,
Ah I see cool, the one in the first link seems more appealing though for some reason, not exactly sure why haha.

I have a soldering iron and all that jazz, and I reccommend that TS gets the same, I've never made a pedal before, but I'm pretty confident that it'll be easy with basic knowledge, I'm definatly gonna have a go now that I've seen these pedals so cheap, I might get the Tubescreamer one too.. Cheers Becky.

Just another reminder, putting fuzz pedals inside your guitar is gay
Yeah its real easy, itd take you an hour or two to put that thing together at most IMO. Just take your time.

Just remember though, when you turn it on and it sounds like an underwater fart squeel, it isnt broke, they all just sound like that.
Haha.

FF isn't my favorite type of fuzz, but I think it's a usable sound for £25. However £200 is a complete joke.
I like the FF but that price tag is a bit much.

I have a Big Muff but that's more like a distortion/fuzz.

Are there any other already built alternatives to the Fuzz Factory that are cheaper?
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." -George Santayana
Yeah theyd be fun to mess about with. But i wouldn't want to use one live, or for recording. So i wouldnt pay that much for one.

^What kind of fuzz, theres lots of types. What sounds are you into.
Quote by barfrog
Ok cheers! Theres no real point in me getting one of the hand-painted versions, the pedals probably going to end up being built into one of my guitars anyway. Not that im a Matt Bellamy fanboy or anything

And yeah it looks like a loada fun

Nothing wrong with wanting to be Matt, i wouldn't complain

And he actually uses the lower priced Vexter edition on his pedalboard when touring as some extra information, i think it was shown on the Dunlop youtube channel somewhere.
I'd love to have his guitar skills, his voice can suck an egg though.
Lets not get into who can suck what, cant we all just be friends?
Guitars
Ibanez RG350MYE
Yamaha Pacifica 012

Amps
Vox Valvetronix VT30

GAS List
MIA Strat
Diezel VH4

Quote by beckyjc
Yeah theyd be fun to mess about with. But i wouldn't want to use one live, or for recording. So i wouldnt pay that much for one.

^What kind of fuzz, theres lots of types. What sounds are you into.

I don't cover other peoples music so I'm not trying to match a tone.

That being said the style of music I like playing is post-punk like Interpol, Bloc Party and some 90's alternative/grunge. I'm not limited to those guys and I'm not sure what I would do with the pedal. I've just been thinking about getting one to incorporate into my pedal board and since it would probably not use it often I don't want to pay that price tag. I've been looking for a clone but don't want to build it myself.
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." -George Santayana
I'll build it for you if you you pay me.

Bellamy's voice is just a terrible impression of Jeff Buckley.
Quote by WhiteStripesIII
No difference in parts or sound. All that extra money is for it to be hand-painted.

This person has no idea what they're talking about. The zvex fuzzfactory has higher quality components, all the way down to 2% silver solder. They are near silent when not playing compared to the vexter which hisses at higher gain settings when not playing.

It's like saying a Behringer Big Muff clone is a the same as a Big Muff because they have the same circuit.

Components are tone.
Quote by _LoveFuzz_
This person has no idea what they're talking about. The zvex fuzzfactory has higher quality components, all the way down to 2% silver solder. They are near silent when not playing compared to the vexter which hisses at higher gain settings when not playing.

It's like saying a Behringer Big Muff clone is a the same as a Big Muff because they have the same circuit.

Components are tone.

It's not like saying Behiringer's copy of the Big Muff is the same as the original is it, they're made by completly different companies. and Behringer arn't known for making good quality stuff.

The Zvex and Vexter Fuzz factories are advertised on their site as being the same thing, it just dosn't come with a warranty and isn't hand painted.

Also, I don't like the way your name is very similar to mine, suck an egg.
Quote by _LoveFuzz_

Components are tone.

Ive done a bit of research and apparently the Vexter Fuzz Factory's are subassembled in Taiwan, then shipped to the US for final assembly. The same components are used as in the original hand-painted FF's - i imagine the Vexter is cheaper due the design being standard, which means production is much less complex. Plus theres the fact that some assembly takes place in Taiwan, and the warrenty is limited.
Guitars
Ibanez RG350MYE
Yamaha Pacifica 012

Amps
Vox Valvetronix VT30

GAS List
MIA Strat
Diezel VH4

Quote by _LoveFuzz_

Components are tone.

If by near silent you mean a squeeling mess of feedback then i agree.

Spot the difference?
I notice a 1/4 watt resistor in the hand painted. Different colour PCB....

Theyre cheaper because theyre made in taiwan. Thats it.
Last edited by beckyjc at Sep 9, 2010,
Quote by forsaknazrael
Not even metal film resistors? For shame ZVex, the FF could benefit from lower noise components...Personally, I would even shield the signal wires.

Indeed, Zachs a cheap bastard though.

The musikding kit uses better quality componenets than either of them. Even sockets for the trannies so you can swap em out.
Last edited by beckyjc at Sep 9, 2010,