Page 1 of 2
What do you guys think of A Thousand Suns? (It was leaked monday... )

I think it's great, but I also loved M2M too... and seeing as many didn't what do you guys think of the new album in relation to M2M?

By the way, I liked HT and Meteora (my personal favorite) too. Reanimation was... alright.
John 3:16 = Truth

Sight reading tableture = Guitar Hero for real guitarists
I don't think I'll even bother with this album after hearing the single from it, what was it called, "The Catalyst"? I thought it was terrible
just went to listen to The Catalyst after seeing this thread.
opinion: just more mainstream garbage. i shall pass.

Hybrid Theory and Meteora is all that Linkin Park ever was.
Quote by Khaosdogg
HT > all LP albums.

Quote by heminder

Hybrid Theory and Meteora is all that Linkin Park ever was.

Here's a quote from the song "When They Come for Me" off the new album.

"Once you have the theory of how the thing works
Everybody wants the next thing to be just like the first
I'm not a robot"

I seriously doubt the use of "theory" was a coincidence. Listen to the album and judge it against itself, not against their other work. They've obviously decided not to go in the same direction.

Quote by TheAbsentOne
I don't think I'll even bother with this album after hearing the single from it, what was it called, "The Catalyst"? I thought it was terrible

I 'm one of 2 people that liked that one. haha

Check out the other song they released called "Wretches and Kings". It's not the same sound as HT or Meteroa, but It's got the heavy beat, rap, and heavy guitars, plus a scratch solo from Joe Hahn (something that kind of vanished after Meteroa).

I absolutely hated Minutes to Midnight, so I hope it doesn't sound anything like that. But I heard the Catalyst and I thought it was pretty good.

Gonna wait until after the release date to download it.
Didn't like most of M2M, hated the single, but wretches and kings was ok. I'll give it a listen but i dont hold up much hope tbh
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
Mayones Regius 7 Buckeye Burl
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Fender American Standard Tele
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Mesa Lonestar Special
Bugera 333
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Line 6 PodHD500
I'm looking forward to it. I think it sounds as good as Hybrid Theory from what's been released. And I'm glad they didn't go back to their roots.

Also, The Catalyst is awesome.
I liked it. It was a nice change from MtM and some stuff sounds like their older material. I also life how every song flows together very well. However, I find that there isn't enough heavy songs on this albums and not much guitar, but despite that it is a lot better than I expected.

All in all, Hybrid Theory > Meteora > Minutes to Midnight and A Thousand Suns.
foREVer.
I despise it. I was always a huge LP fan, even through M2M, but I really don't like their new stuff. Meteora was my favourite album, then Hybrid Theory then M2M, but there new stuff just sounds so, empty and hollow.

I won't be buying the album.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Oh, it's out? Will have a listen, though Cataclyst and W&K weren't to my liking (why did you have to go and imitate the jamaican accent in such a horrid way chester?)
Quote by Demonikk
'Practice amp' = amp you practice with? In my case, Peavey 6505+ and 4x12
I don't do things small

Except children.
I enjoyed it, much more as a full concept album than each individual song. Although I am currently addicted to The Catalyst (still) and The Messenger.
John Frusciante
Slash
Jeff Beck
Matt Bellamy
Jack White

HT-5 Owners Thread

Owner of an 1/4 watt custom combo.

Quote by Garou1911
^This man speaks the language of win.

Donate to my cause
Quote by k7apex
I enjoyed it, much more as a full concept album than each individual song.

I agree. The whole album leaves me feeling like I've listened to an album, not just a random collection of songs. That's rare these days.

Quote by Jasonbts
I 'm one of 2 people that liked that one. haha

Check out the other song they released called "Wretches and Kings". It's not the same sound as HT or Meteroa, but It's got the heavy beat, rap, and heavy guitars, plus a scratch solo from Joe Hahn (something that kind of vanished after Meteroa).

Wretches and Kings is a good song, apart from chester's vocal style, and mikes raps do. not. flow.
Quote by Demonikk
'Practice amp' = amp you practice with? In my case, Peavey 6505+ and 4x12
I don't do things small

Except children.
Bought the album today, just finished my first run through, its pretty good as a concept album, wish it had one or two more heavy songs and less 30 second tracks. It needed a few more quality full songs to it. The catalyst is good on its own, not sure what to think of wretches and kings.
Boxing Kangaroo Of The Australia FTW! Club. PM Alter-Bridge or The_Random_Hero to join. Australians only.
I just listened to it, and I think it's better than Hybrid Theory. I'm ging to buy the cd the day it comes out. Although I agree with whoever said it needed more full songs.
If Linkin Park had gone on and released more material like Hybrid Theory or Meteora, THAT would be selling out. I think they are perfectly entitled to experiment with new sounds, they shouldn't be confined to a genre box as that's dishonest to their musicianship. That said, I enjoyed A Thousand Suns because it's good MUSIC, regardless of heaviness. It just felt full and honest. It's not my favorite album in the world but it's worth the listen, unless you're some elitist fool who won't tolerate any music without heavy distortion.
Quote by Jackal58
I eat dead meat all the time. You don't have to chase it around your plate and it doesn't try to peck your eyes out.

It Happens.

My Gear:

-Custom Fender MIM Black Strat
-Mesa/Boogie Rect-O-Verb
-Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Quote by EvilAngel93
If Linkin Park had gone on and released more material like Hybrid Theory or Meteora, THAT would be selling out. I think they are perfectly entitled to experiment with new sounds, they shouldn't be confined to a genre box as that's dishonest to their musicianship. That said, I enjoyed A Thousand Suns because it's good MUSIC, regardless of heaviness. It just felt full and honest. It's not my favorite album in the world but it's worth the listen, unless you're some elitist fool who won't tolerate any music without heavy distortion.

Exactly. It's a good thing they didn't take the same route as Disturbed and many other bands.
I love then new album. It's honestly like one 47 minute song (notice how they have it as such on iTunes and Myspace). Conceptually, I love it. It's not at all like any of the other music I listen to. I hate electronic music. I hate rap. I hate autotune. And yet, I love this album.
Im on my 23rd listening of the album at the moment and im still blown away,they totally killed hybrid theory,M2M and meteora with this one.Everyong flows together so well,its sends u on a total journey.Also for some reason the album sounds kinda anti-commercial in away,idk just the way some of the songs are (the full tracks) makes them seem not too single friendly (though im sure theyll get massive radio play anyways) **** i lost my point lol.

One of my fave tracks of the album is one of the interlude-ish tracks,fallout...so much epicness in that song.
Quote by JacobTheMe
One time I saw a flower and said "Thats pretty."

My dad responded "Pretty gay..."

Quote by EvilAngel93

It couldn't be said better IMO.
Guh, really, REALLY not liking this sound. They're trying to hard to make it sound like an 'epic' album, and it's falling flat. That said, I'm only up to Jornada del Muerto. Will post updates.
put a rather extensive song-by-song review up this morning, waiting for it to get cleared

to sum it up: it's a concept-album, and i think the concept works. haven't had as much fun listening to an *album* as a whole for a long time.

Also, absolute badass moments on ATS:

* When they come for me: the arabic-style background, and rich lyrics

* Blackout - i mean..come on, chester doin the rappin? hell yeah

* the usage of speech-samples ( oppenheimer in the radiance, MLK in wisdom,justice&love , Mario Savio in wretches and kings) each was placed so nicely in a context of preceding and succeeding lyrics that it at times made me shiver for the depth

* the pre- and post-referring of lyrics, e.g. the requiem=> the catalyst and fallout<=burning in the skies

oh, and i was totally not expecting something like the messenger,hehe
put a rather extensive song-by-song review up this morning, waiting for it to get cleared
QUOTE]

I posted one of my own as well, and it hasn't been put through yet either. Hopefully it won't take too long.

Quote by Todd Hart
I despise it. I was always a huge LP fan, even through M2M, but I really don't like their new stuff. Meteora was my favourite album, then Hybrid Theory then M2M, but there new stuff just sounds so, empty and hollow.

I won't be buying the album.

This.

No matter how much "artistic value" it has, it just doesn´t moves me an inch.
Maybe that has something to do with why I didn´t like the Pink Floyd concept albums, but wanna jump arpund listening to Dream Theater...
Keep On Rockin´

Gear:
Ibanez GRG-270
Roland Cube30X
Zoom G2.1u
Still cant bring myself to listen to this
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
Mayones Regius 7 Buckeye Burl
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Fender American Standard Tele
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Mesa Lonestar Special
Bugera 333
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Line 6 PodHD500
I was really, really not prepared to listen to this album. I heard the Catalyst and I liked it. I heard Wretches and Kings and didn't really like it and dismissed the album completely.

Last night I decided to put all my bias aside and listen to it. I sat down and just listened. I want to say that this album is a masterpiece. Listening to the whole album is really an experience if you just listen to the music. Disregard the fact that there's not as much guitar in the mix this time, and just listen to how the parts all combine and play off each other.

Hybrid Theory and Meteora were amazing music-wise, as well as angsty-aggressive-sound-wise. Minutes to Midnight was amazing music-wise as well. A Thousand Suns is amazing. These guys know how to write great music, no matter what genre, end of discussion.
I Bought the album thinking this would be the greatest album of the year.

Seriously not trolling or anything but was possibly the most shittest cd i have ever listened to. They have completely changed genres and these songs are mostly just effing random noise, with 5 out of 15 tracks being filler tracks.

I know this was a concept album but common seriously this could of been heaps better if they stuck to their roots, I dont even care if it had M2m sound to it. Anything is better than this shit.

Probably the only two songs I liked were Iridescent and The Catalyst because you could actually hear some melody and also wtf where is the guitar in this CD did they fire brad or something... only heard effing chords being played in the last bit of the song- burning in the skies, intro to waiting for the end, iridescent, the messenger out of 15 songs oh wow...

soz had to vent my anger over this cd
Metal is my thing

My Stuff
Jackson Kelly KE3
Legacy Emerald Pro
Yamaha Pacifca
Zoom G2
Quote by MrLazyCurtis
I Bought the album thinking this would be the greatest album of the year.

Seriously not trolling or anything but was possibly the most shittest cd i have ever listened to. They have completely changed genres and these songs are mostly just effing random noise, with 5 out of 15 tracks being filler tracks.

I know this was a concept album but common seriously this could of been heaps better if they stuck to their roots, I dont even care if it had M2m sound to it. Anything is better than this shit.

Probably the only two songs I liked were Iridescent and The Catalyst because you could actually hear some melody and also wtf where is the guitar in this CD did they fire brad or something... only heard effing chords being played in the last bit of the song- burning in the skies, intro to waiting for the end, iridescent, the messenger out of 15 songs oh wow...

soz had to vent my anger over this cd

If they stuck to their old sound, not only would it get old and boring, but it wouldn't be any good because it's not what they wanted to do.

There is lots of guitar, just with HEAVY effects. It's pretty clear in "Wretches and Kings" too. I like it because each member is doing what fits the song, not what shows off what they can do individually.

Quote by Jasonbts
If they stuck to their old sound, not only would it get old and boring, but it wouldn't be any good because it's not what they wanted to do.

There is lots of guitar, just with HEAVY effects. It's pretty clear in "Wretches and Kings" too. I like it because each member is doing what fits the song, not what shows off what they can do individually.

This, especially the bolded part. Yesterday my friend was telling me that the band sucks becasue the drumming is simple and a third grader could write a better album (bullshit). I told him that Linkin Park like to play what fits the song and not really fast drum rolls with double bass blast beats followed by sweep arppegios up and down the guitar neck reall fast and he responded "They don't do that becasue they suck. And rapping is gay, so they suck!"

The stupidest things I've heard about music can all be found in a discussion about Linkin Park.
I found it to be okay, There are some good songs on it but the noise textures going for little snippets of time are better left to the experts like sonic youth. If they cut those out and pieced the full songs together they might have a decent record. TBH i enjoyed MTM more than any of their other albums. But at least its not a watered down version of Hybrid Theory or something
Quote by RSOB Bass
Thanks Andy, you're fucking awesome.

Quote by XmydyingheartX
^___^

Quote by Andrea55
Banned because I love you!

Happily e-married to RSOB Bass
E-brother to Andrea55
E-Uncle to KitKat555
I thought it was great....until Chester started singing/whining.

Hybrid Theory....the only great LP album. Meteora is solid, but everything after those two albums is rubbish.
Quote by red157
I used to love LP more than any band in the world (aged eleven-twelve), now I can't even be arsed to try their new album.

Much more important ones to listen to.

+1000 That is a brilliant album. Nick Cave is amazing.

Also Hybrid theory was amazing, it was the first album I ever brought and it pretty much got me into music in the first place, however the rest of LP's stuff sucks.
return 0;

Quote by jsync
And I've eaten at some of Australia's best pizzerias.

SOUNDCLOUD
. com / fancy-elle
They don't know what they are doing anymore. Going from hard rock to techno to rap. It just isn't that great of an album
I am a loyal fan to LP. I don't care if they changed directions; their music is great. I loved Minutes to Midnight, except In Between. And one of their LPU songs that sound like a superhero song in the bridge; it's called "Across the Line". I still need to get ATS, I listened to all the songs on youtube but I need the CD to hear how every song flows into the next.
It's alright but it wasn't nearly as good as the other albums. That's just my opinion.
Page 1 of 2