I mean going beyond the basics, I searched google but only would get retailers. What specifically makes a pick-up better quality, the body, the neck, etc?

I've played other instruments of high quality, but never really went in depth as to why they sound better, assuming you're a decent player already.
better quality materials
also they have more strict quality control(usually)
some luthiers even match the woods for the neck and body to sound the best
although sometime you just think it sounds better because its more expensive
Last edited by supersac at Sep 8, 2010,
It really comes down to the quality of the wood used, as well as of course the quite obvious thing most would say, the pickups. Wood is a big factor in how the guitar will sound. If you have a guitar made of very cheap basswood (Like Ibanez starter guitars) it's made cheaply, from cheap material. But then you could have a very high quality piece of basswood (Such as higher-end Ibanez guitars) and it will be made of just much better material overall.

Build quality factors into a guitar, as well.. Like hand-made vs machine made.
alot of what makes a pick-up better is the magnet used, the way it's wound, the wire used to wind the pickup, tue grade of cable used to connect the pickup to the pot, then the wood and neck have a certain effect as the cause the strings to resonate differently, as do bridges and nuts, also the strings can have an effect dependent on how they are wound
Everything.

Seriously, the wood, the glue, the mixture of minerals in the metal components, even the type of wiring used in the electronics and pickups, all effect the tone, and all of it is just higher-quality on the higher-end guitars.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
Thanks guys, part of the reason I asked as well, is because I always wondered why the guitars at Best Buy or Guitar are so much cheaper than buying them from the main manufacturer store.
Last edited by weteath at Sep 8, 2010,
Quote by weteath
Thanks guys, part of the reason I asked as well, is because I always wondered why the guitars at Best Buy or Guitar are so much cheaper than buying them from the main manufacturer store.

You talking bout difference between buying straight from gibson or through guitar center?

cause thats different
My Sound Makers
ESP Eclipse II
Epi Les Paul Studio
Fender Blues Jr.
I've been curious about this as well. My friend has an epiphone LP custom alpine white and I have the gibson version. They seriously do not sound any different that either of us notice other than harmonics mine could pick up a little better but not a ton. I thought that was quite dissappointing especially because I paid Quadruple what he paid...
"For we are nothing without brotherhood and brotherhood is nothing without our brothers" -We Came As Romans
Quote by Its HypnoToad
You talking bout difference between buying straight from gibson or through guitar center?

cause thats different

That too, I was looking on Ebay as well, and saw the guitars made in Mexico or China would be say 600 dollars, and the U.S. ones would be a little more than double. They were the same brands that I looked at too.

Best Buy and Guitar Center can by in masses so they can get the guitars cheaper from the actual manufacturer am I right?

If not what is the difference from buying from Gibson or Guitar Center?
Quote by weteath
That too, I was looking on Ebay as well, and saw the guitars made in Mexico or China would be say 600 dollars, and the U.S. ones would be a little more than double. They were the same brands that I looked at too.

Best Buy and Guitar Center can by in masses so they can get the guitars cheaper from the actual manufacturer am I right?
If not what is the difference from buying from Gibson or Guitar Center?

basicly,just like how walmart can be cheaper than a ma and pop store.
My Sound Makers
ESP Eclipse II
Epi Les Paul Studio
Fender Blues Jr.
Quote by Its HypnoToad
basicly,just like how walmart can be cheaper than a ma and pop store.

Okay thanks man, I was thinking something had to be a little different from them, guess I don't have to worry when I buy a new one in the future.
higher quality makes a higher quality guitar, higher quality.

EDIT: just the usual stuff... higher quality wood (better quality and dried for longer), better quality hardware and electronics, more attention to detail in the finishing, higher quality control, more hands-on work as opposed to mass production, thinner, more expensive finishes, a more organic/tactile feel, etc. etc. etc.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Sep 8, 2010,