Hey guys. Have a jackson sl1 soloist with floyd rose sitting in it's case. I'm looking to start playing guitar again after 4 years off. The FR is too much to handle, since I can't stay in tune with it (goes quarter step sharp or flat depending on which way I bend the trem).

I realize there are guitars out there for 3k, others for 300. I'm looking for something I can:

1) Record on the computer with
2) Gig with
3) General practice (for about 6 months until I build my technique up again to start gigging)

I'm into:

Rock, blues, metal (all sorts)

but mainly just want to become a god at it. Flame war between guitar brands aside, what do you guys recommend in the 0-$1000 price range? Do I even need to go above $500?

Here's one I'm thinking of. Does this have a floating trem?:

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/msg/1936194152.html
Depends, what amp you got?

And yeah that Ibanez has a trem.
No ego-inflating quotes nor stupidly long signatures to be found here.

Move along.

Bands/Artists of the month; Marco Sfogli, Marco Sfogli and Marco Sfogli .

Quote by steve_muse
^lol'd at the sig, adj209
Fix the problem on the Jackson. It has an OFR? if so the knife edges should be fine, could be damaged worn posts. If its a LFR you could block it.
Last edited by Tempoe at Sep 8, 2010,
*I didn't want to have to screw anything into the jackson itself. I didn't want to mess with its originality.

**My amp is shitty: some peavy 50w.
I do have a Line 6, 75 watt at home I can grab next week.

I also have a metal muff distortion pedal, that sounds ok through the peavey amp. Right now I'm not into spending thosands on gear until I'm ready to start playing live. I just want something I can get sound out of to practice with and get my tone down.

Is this mainly effect pedals, the amp, or both? Maybe I should invest in some pedals?
Tempoe: I've had 2 professionals look at the trem and spent 50 bucks each time to have them set it up. Both time I've gotten it back and it doesn't stay in tune.

I swear, I did it better myself when screwing around with it.

For instance, I dive bomb and the thing won't revert back to being in tune. Setting up the floyd isn't the problem (takes me 10 minutes) it's keeping it in tune while playing.
Quote by gardon
Tempoe: I've had 2 professionals look at the trem and spent 50 bucks each time to have them set it up. Both time I've gotten it back and it doesn't stay in tune.

I swear, I did it better myself when screwing around with it.

For instance, I dive bomb and the thing won't revert back to being in tune. Setting up the floyd isn't the problem (takes me 10 minutes) it's keeping it in tune while playing.

Yeah, I reread your post and edited mine with a new suggestion, you should take a close look at the posts and knife with a magnifying glass. New posts are only about $10.
Are you completely intent on going used?

For under 400USD you can get a Washburn X50 with Floyd Rose or Fixed bridge, EMGs, great playability and all that jazz. Best value for money. I believe its good enough for practise and gigging definitely.

But otherwise that Ibanez prestige and C-1 look okay.

Hmm your I dont think you need any pedals, if you're on a solid state further down the line look into some decent tube amps. Or seeing as you're tight on cash invest on a POD UX1 or GX, lets you play and record through your PC and turns essentially into a modelling unit,very useful

Move along.

Quote by steve_muse
WOW. The Tremolo-No doesn't require drilling. It must have been something else I was looking at. I might just do that rather than buy a new guitar (unless I can get a good deal on one for a few hundred bucks).
It's an OFR. US Made jackson, not the japanese version.

adj209, is that washburn the used price? 400? I could go used or new, I really don't care, I just didn't want to spend another $1200 on a guitar when I already have one.

What I might do is buy that Tremolo-No for the Jackson (while taking Tempoe's advice and getting new posts) so I can set that up both ways. Then look for another guitar for the hell of it. Can't hurt to have 2

Any of you guys ever experience string breaks on OFR guitars while at gigs? That would suck if you don't have a backup axe (or even during the song, you can't switch to another string to play notes because they'll all be out of tune).
I had a tremolono and a tremsetter on my old LTD, both are crap really. It changes the subtly of the trem so it feels horrible. Helps with the tuning a bit but better to fix the trem than spend money on modding it IMO. It's an OFR, it should be quite fixable. Remove the FR and check also for dirt in there. Also if your guitar has been in the case for 4 years I assume you put new strings? Old ones will not stay in tune.

I never break strings with a FR but have a BU guitar just in case.
Last edited by Tempoe at Sep 8, 2010,
My Jackson Soloist Pro had a Shaller LFR, which I replaced with a Gotoh. I had to lengthen the route for the Gotoh. It also had peg holes that are quite different than the Gotohs, so I just cleaned them up with a wire brush/grinding wheel and rolled the dice (e.g., used the shaller posts on the Gotoh Trem).

I've heard good things about the Tremol-No, and am considering getting one, but the Gotoh trem is already more than I paid for the guitar, lol. I'm not a big fan of whammy bars or dive bombing, so I might just go the cheap way and block the sucker.
Last edited by Commodor 64 at Sep 8, 2010,
Quote by gardon
It's an OFR. US Made jackson, not the japanese version.

adj209, is that washburn the used price? 400? I could go used or new, I really don't care, I just didn't want to spend another $1200 on a guitar when I already have one.

What I might do is buy that Tremolo-No for the Jackson (while taking Tempoe's advice and getting new posts) so I can set that up both ways. Then look for another guitar for the hell of it. Can't hurt to have 2

Any of you guys ever experience string breaks on OFR guitars while at gigs? That would suck if you don't have a backup axe (or even during the song, you can't switch to another string to play notes because they'll all be out of tune).

Its new, and for that price i'm sure you that you won't get a better brand new guitar. Of course try one out before you do. Compared to my friends LP custom (worth 1.2k) I don't see much difference, not enough to warrant that steep price gap anyway.

But otherwise i have never had a string break on me gigging at all, I abuse the shit out of my strings though.. Whammy abuse, 2 step bends, divebombs, vibrato and such and the guitar stays perfectly in-tone, especially given you can tweak the fine tuners for exact pitch. Only gripe is buzz feiten system ain't so good.

Move along.

Quote by steve_muse
Quote by gardon
This says WAshburn X series, but doesn't say x50. Is this the same thing?

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/msg/1940754467.html

Nope unfortunately, that looks like one of the cheaper ones

here is an X50 pic

http://www.backalleymusic.co.uk/contents/media/x%2050pro%20e.jpg

check ebay as well
http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m570.l1313&_nkw=washburn+x50&_sacat=See-All-Categories

Move along.

Quote by steve_muse
Last edited by adj209 at Sep 8, 2010,
I'm going with this one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Washburn-X50-BK-X-Series-Electric-Guitar-Grover-Randall-/220626436619?pt=Guitar&hash=item335e5c420b#ht_1900wt_1137

Although the price is well under $400. This is from your link to ebay above. I don't want to sound like a complete retard, but I know all guitar models have little quirks and differences that can change a x50 to an x50bk or whatever.

Free shipping isn't bad either. I wanted it tonight but I guess I can wait till next week

Thanks guys.

P.S. ** Commodore 64, do the volume and tone knobs but the hell out of you being so close to the bridge? Everything else about the jackson kicks ass (minus the OFR problem I am having). I hate having that knob there as it blocks my hand and I have to adjust to it.
I don't mind where the vol is, makes swells easy. If you anchor it could be a problem though.
Ah sweet, only problem is that iteration has Randall pickups.. The ones they sell here in Britain come with either Seymour Duncan customs or Emg 81/85s.

Then again they are virtually the same guitar and you can spend the money that you saved on the guitar for the pickups.

But yeah, don't rush into it. Try it out if you can, If you can't try the next best thing; any other washburn X series guitar. Tell me how it goes.

Move along.

Quote by steve_muse
I'm still pretty new to guitar, so volume swells aren't something I mess with. I have enough trouble hitting the right string with either hand, heh. But yeah, I'm always bumping the volume pot on my Jackson.
Will do adj209, thanks.

And thanks for everyone's help so far. Much appreciated.