Page 1 of 5
I thought of this today before even seeing todays pit. Weird. Anywho...

How much do non-Americans know about Abraham Lincoln, Roosevelt, Kennedy, Paul Bunyan, Johnny Apple Seed etc...

Also, flip the question around for you Americans. I like to think I know a little about Churchill, but I don't know shit about any other figures in UK history.
I know bits here and there. For the most part I find American history horribly boring, except the stuff about Natives, and also the Civil War.

There is a stereotype that Americans don't know any history other than their own, but I don't know if it's true.
I've taken a European history course so I know a basic idea of European politics and history starting around the Renaissance, but my knowledge of British history ends there.
In Ireland we're taught a decent amount about Lincoln and the Civil war, Kennedy and the Civil Rights movement, Johnson and Nixon in the context of Vietnam, Roosevelt in the context of World War two, and then the earlier founding fathers and war of independence.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
I've been watching a series on American history. I'd like to learn but as of yet no very little.

Quote by Karl Pilkington
Jellyfish are 97% water or something, so how much are they doing? Just give them another 3% and make them water. It's more useful."
I know about all of those you listed, and additional history/people/events etc. related to america.

I wonder how much americans know about swedish history. I don't expect them to know much, I guess it's kind of 'obscure' knowledge.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
all i know is the stuff ive found out myself. Ive never been taught any otherwise. Really what i know isnt much at all. Some of it is interesting though. I prefer the politics side of history myself and you guys have a lot of politics.
An Augmented 4th or a Diminished 5th?

Quote by I.O.T.M
You, fine sir, have impeccable taste.

Ahhhh Yuck Fou.
Quote by Pagan-Pie
I know bits here and there. For the most part I find American history horribly boring, except the stuff about Natives, and also the Civil War.

There is a stereotype that Americans don't know any history other than their own, but I don't know if it's true.

Hehe...*looks at feet*

I know about the Ancient world (Romans, Greeks,) and about the big picture of WWI & WWII, I just don't know to much about the players, except Hitler of course.
Quote by Kensai
I know about all of those you listed, and additional history/people/events etc. related to america.

I wonder how much americans know about swedish history. I don't expect them to know much, I guess it's kind of 'obscure' knowledge.

Thirty years war, that ship that sank and they reraised, neutral when it matters. Not much really.
I don't know much and I don't really care.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Quote by Kensai

I know Gustavus Adolphus was a badass.

I heard he would set lions loose in his castle and hunt them down with his sword. Regardless, he did some serious work in the Thirty Years war.
American history is boring

indians, colony, genocide, pearl harbor, japanese, transport ship, f 15 and that's it.
Is the USA even old enough to have any history? I mean surely even your oldest historical texts are only a week or two old.
Last edited by Todd Hart at Sep 8, 2010,
I'm American. I know more about the history of foreign countries than I do about American history. Although that's probably because I don't find much interesting from firearms forwards. (read as modern firearms - rifles, pistols, etc.)
Last edited by jfreyvogel at Sep 8, 2010,
Not much, bit I never did History outside of when I didn't have a choice.
Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
Quote by Pagan-Pie

That's a half-truth, Americans learn about major historical events until their textbooks get to the founding of the United States of America. At that point, it doesn't really go into other countries histories unless an event directly tied to the U.S.A. at the time.

That was the way my school taught me, in any case.
Quote by Todd Hart
Are the USA even old enough to have any history?

Well I'd like to think becoming a world power in less than 200 years would involve a bit of history.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Quote by Zeletros

indians, colony, genocide, pearl harbor, japanese, transport ship, f 15 and that's it.

Yeah except you left out about 150 years between the two.

American history post 1850 is pretty fascinating. It's quite depressing as well.

I literally just got out of History 50, which is world history pre-1450. You want to talk about dull...
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
Last edited by SlinkyBlue at Sep 8, 2010,
We moved over.
Gear:
Epiphone SG-400 (w/Hot Slags)/Chapman Guitars ML1 > Digitech Bad Monkey > Blackstar HT-5 > Danelectro Fish and Chips EQ > ETI Chorus Flanger
Snark Headstock tuner!
Quote by Todd Hart
Is the USA even old enough to have any history? I mean surely even your oldest historical texts are only a week or two old.

American history predates the foundation of the USA. By your reasoning, Irish history begins in 1921.
Quote by Pagan-Pie

Americans are usually taught about a lot of British and French history in High School, usually in relation to the roots of democracy and such (French Revolution, Magna Carta, yadayadayda).
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
American here. I know a lot of history in general. I love history. I especially enjoy the Middle Ages. As far as American history goes, I know most of that. I definitely learned the stuff in school well.

However, I do find it sad that, as a whole, the general American population is quite ignorant of history beyond the lame shit they barely remember from grade school and high school.
Quote by Pagan-Pie
American history predates the foundation of the USA. By your reasoning, Irish history begins in 1921.

lern2satire.
Quote by Zeletros

wat?

Oh, and you left out all the important parts. American Revolution, slavery/Civil war, Prohibition and the Depression, and the Civil Rights Movement. I like US History, interesting stuff.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
I know a huge amount about the American Revolution and some stuff about the Civil War as they're areas I've privately studied for University entry.

Anyone who says American history is boring is an idiot. The American Constitution is probably the greatest document ever constructed in the world. Everything important is in around 10,000 words from what I remember. Unbelievable. The EU's constitution is over 60 odd sodding pages.
Quote by babakkatt
Whats wrong with asking a girl what kind of cheese she likes?

LOUD NOISES
Quote by rgrockr
wat?

Lets see, systematic murder of Native Americans, plus 2 nuclear bombs on undisputed civilian targets.
Epiphone Dot
Vox AC30VR 212
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Last edited by MortifiedLizard at Sep 8, 2010,
Quote by Todd Hart
lern2satire.

Hey, people sincerely say that about American history all the time. I was using your comment as a basis for a serious statement
Quote by frnzd
I know a huge amount about the American Revolution and some stuff about the Civil War as they're areas I've privately studied for University entry.

Anyone who says American history is boring is an idiot. The American Constitution is probably the greatest document ever constructed in the world. Everything important is in around 10,000 words from what I remember. Unbelievable. The EU's constitution is over 60 odd sodding pages.

Subjectivity my friend.

Quote by Pagan-Pie
Hey, people sincerely say that about American history all the time. I was using your comment as a basis for a serious statement

I see, well I was just making a joke.

Pre-Columban American history is rather interesting I find, I just think after the colonisation things went downhill.
Last edited by Todd Hart at Sep 8, 2010,
We have world history in our school program but there's a lot of information so it's hard to remember everything (the fact that we have 16 other mandatory subjects doesn't help either).
If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have on your hands is a non-working cat. - Douglas Adams
Quote by frnzd
Anyone who says American history is boring is an idiot.

No, their opinion just differs from your own. I study history in University, and I find American stuff really boring.
Quote by Craigo
The latter is called mass murder.

"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
As a Canadian, and a university student studying history, I know most of the world's history (Outside of Ancient South-East Asia). In Canada, they hammer Canadian history (boring), into us until we're like 15 or 16, then we have choices. US history is fun because it's a lot of strategic and paranoid moves. And I love it when Americans say they "let" Canadians keep Canada.
██████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
O CANADA!
Quote by frnzd

I could write something better than the US Constitution. It won't be perfect, nor will it be Historically significant, but I can do it.
Quote by SlinkyBlue
can of worms]

Breaking international law to kill millions of civilians. Whether or not you think it is justified is completely irrelevant to whether or not you think it is mass murder. It was. This doesn't prevent it from being something which could be justified.
Last edited by Craigo at Sep 8, 2010,
Quote by Craigo
The latter is called mass murder.

Fine, call it that. I don't care.
Epiphone Dot
Vox AC30VR 212
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
Page 1 of 5