Well this isn't really a "trough the phone type of sound" but i see what you mean. Well i have little experience working with this kind of sound, but you achieve it with a lo-quality mic, having the vocal recorded really loud, i mean really loud, it can crack, peak and then, when mixing, just lower it so it stops crackling, that's what i would do. Also try working with the EQ. Raise the mid frequencies way high, raise the highs for a more harsh sound, cut them for some softer sound. Experiment, try everything. Good luck
Quote by ChokingOnBile
Well this isn't really a "trough the phone type of sound" but i see what you mean. Well i have little experience working with this kind of sound, but you achieve it with a lo-quality mic, having the vocal recorded really loud, i mean really loud, it can crack, peak and then, when mixing, just lower it so it stops crackling, that's what i would do. Also try working with the EQ. Raise the mid frequencies way high, raise the highs for a more harsh sound, cut them for some softer sound. Experiment, try everything. Good luck

2nd this. I was just too lazy to type that much. Webcam mics work well for this sorta thing.
Quote by bbetances
2nd this. I was just too lazy to type that much. Webcam mics work well for this sorta thing.

I'll try! thanks!
Izotope make a free vinyl plug-in that simulates the crackles & scratchiness of a vinyl record - that can be quite good for lo-fi stuff if you use it sparingly.
Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
I have a plugin called the Grungelizer. Now sure if it came with Cubase AI4, or I downloaded it.
If I downloaded it, it was free.
I can make a 2010 technology recording sound like it was recorded in the 20s.
..I was watching my death.