I have a piece up on myspace that I'd like some opinions on. It's called "Of the Imminent Crusade," and is sort of a transitional piece in the album I'm working on. It's all orchestral strings, a bass drum (I think it's just referred to as that), and a cymbal. Any feedback is welcome, and I'll be sure to c4c. Thanks!

http://www.myspace.com/siberianbloodtiger
^^^ It should be the 7th song on the list, or somewhere further down.
That's cool man, it reminds me a bit of something that like Amon Amarth or someone would walk onstage to. It was a little obvious it was synth instruments, but I doubt there's much you can do about that. Still really cool, GJ! Check out my band when you get a chance, link's in the sig.
Gig Rig:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1
Crate BV120H
B-52 LS 4x12 cabinet
BBE Rackmount Sonic Max
Boss ME-50 Pedalboard
Digital Reference 2505 Wireless

I don't like BTBAM. Sue Me.

PLUR

My Solo Project
Dude I love it! It's so movie soundtrack sounding, I hope that's not an insult. Honestly I think it could've gone into gladiator. I love the drums and everything about this, ahh love it when the gong comes in, its sooo war like. I love it bro, keep it up!

Crit my song? It's weird but I hope you like it. https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1359512
Thanks! swordsofplague, since you don't have a thread (/didn't link to one?) I'll just reply here. I like the instrumentals from what I've heard so far, but the singing kinda kills it for me. That's just a musical taste thing, though, I could never get into the growling/gutteral vocal style. The style's pretty good aside from that, though.

Any other opinions?
Sounds pretty good. Maybe use a more powerful instrument to carry the melody you have over those chords in the begging. Maybe orchestrate the chords differently too so they will have more depth and power. Right now they sound a little thin but that could be the samples. Your ideas are good, it just comes down to arranging the instruments to give the kind of effect you want now. could you crit my piece here
frog_friend and WGP: UG's Kramer brotherhood

Ug's 4th ENGL endorser
Randy Rhoads is god
founder of the "ENGL amps" fanclub. PM me to join
Quote by frog_friend
Sounds pretty good. Maybe use a more powerful instrument to carry the melody you have over those chords in the begging. Maybe orchestrate the chords differently too so they will have more depth and power. Right now they sound a little thin but that could be the samples. Your ideas are good, it just comes down to arranging the instruments to give the kind of effect you want now. could you crit my piece here

These issues are mainly because of the mastering, admittedly. I had to cut a lot of bass and lower mids to get everything to not clip. If I gave the strings more power, the drum would sound weaker, so I guess it's a compromise. Maybe I can make a better mix when I get a proper DAW (Garageband ftl ). Thanks for the crit.

Others?
Quote by -Blue-
These issues are mainly because of the mastering, admittedly. I had to cut a lot of bass and lower mids to get everything to not clip. If I gave the strings more power, the drum would sound weaker, so I guess it's a compromise. Maybe I can make a better mix when I get a proper DAW (Garageband ftl ). Thanks for the crit.

Others?

I too felt as though your melody was a little lacking in power. When your higher violin part enters, it sounds like it wants to just soar above everything, but it doesn't, it just kinda hangs around as a counter-melody to what you've already set up in the middle voice. Since the middle voice just repeats over and over, I think you can really let that upper melody do what it wants to without worrying that people will forget the main theme.

In addition, I felt that the closing section was a bit too short, you could really do some beautiful stuff with that: incorporating some of the first theme there, seeing where you can go with that beat, etc.

All in all, it was good, but the problem seemed to be that you had a base of really interesting and beautiful stuff, but that you let it end before you could really explore all the possibilities available to you within the themes.

C4C? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1360503
Quote by nmitchell076
All in all, it was good, but the problem seemed to be that you had a base of really interesting and beautiful stuff, but that you let it end before you could really explore all the possibilities available to you within the themes.

Interesting that you cite this as a problem, that's actually part of what I was hoping to achieve. The track is a transitional track that says that a war is coming soon, and the shortness of it before and after the transition shows how imminent it is and how quickly everything will end. I do agree that I could do more with the melody, however, so I'll look into that, thanks.
Quote by -Blue-
Interesting that you cite this as a problem, that's actually part of what I was hoping to achieve. The track is a transitional track that says that a war is coming soon, and the shortness of it before and after the transition shows how imminent it is and how quickly everything will end. I do agree that I could do more with the melody, however, so I'll look into that, thanks.

Ah, as a transitional track, it works better.

But, you might wanna revisit it later as a stand-alone piece and see what you can do with it in that context.