Page 4 of 5
Quote by n1ckn1ce
Thats a sweet piece of.. 12 fret inlay :P
Quote by Stratus475
That 12th fret inlay looks absolutely amazing.
Thanks! It's not entirely my own design though

Here's a little something again. I've filed the fret ends flush and then at a 30 degree angle. I still have to fill the fret ends and do some final shaping here and there before I can go and spray the first coats of lacquer on it.

Quote by lumberjack
You rule the internet!
How's that for a compliment =)

My recordings
Last edited by jenrg at Oct 26, 2014,
The only thing that would have made it better would have been a neck trhu or a set neck. Nice job bro, what is the finish?
Quote by n1ckn1ce
The only thing that would have made it better would have been a neck trhu or a set neck. Nice job bro, what is the finish?

No. not really.
Where's Waldo?
Quote by n1ckn1ce

set necks are overrated, neck thrus are expensive and tricky to work with, bolt ons are teh bomb :p
Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top
Jet City JCA5212RC (SLO Modded)
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay
TC Electronic Trinity Reverb
I just prefer them.. I think 've been traumatised by my omen 6, the neck was(ans still does) always bending on the side -_-' I prefer set neck and neck trhu,they just feel good in my hands. It feels like a body and a neck instead of a guitar. I'm not saying bolton are cheap, they just feel so for me.
Last edited by n1ckn1ce at Oct 6, 2011,
I have to admit I love my Epi LP but I'm confident I can build a bolt on just as well as I could build a set neck, and better than I could a thru neck
Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top
Jet City JCA5212RC (SLO Modded)
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay
TC Electronic Trinity Reverb
Quote by n1ckn1ce
Nice job bro, what is the finish?
Thanks! The finish will be transparent black. Probably done with water based stain straight on wood and PU lacquer on top.

My opinion on neck joints is that a properly made bolt-on is just as good / stable / sustaining / whatever as a set or through neck.
Quote by lumberjack
You rule the internet!

My recordings
Quote by jenrg
My opinion on neck joints is that a properly made bolt-on is just as good / stable / sustaining / whatever as a set or through neck.

Yeah, a good bolt on should be so that you can hold up the guitar without the bolts in. It should be pretty snug. And plus, the whole sustain battle is ridiculous. Glue doesn't sustain any better than steel, really. and plus most of the people with the best sustain (Satch, Vai) use bolt ons.

Anyway, enough of that rant. This build is really nice. I like your work. Hope to see it done soon.
Where's Waldo?
Talking about bolt-ons, I just bolted the neck on this one. Fits very well, actually I will have to sand the joint a bit so it doesn't get too tight when the lacquer is applied.

AANJ? At the moment it's more like a no-access neck joint. Needs major shaping.

The other side...
Quote by lumberjack
You rule the internet!

My recordings
Not much done this week, I just thought I'd throw in a couple of pics.

Began shaping the heel.

Getting there...

Knobs will be recessed a bit to the top.
Quote by lumberjack
You rule the internet!

My recordings
Great to see you back to work jenrg! You're builds always exude discipline, and the results reflect that; great workmanship. Can't wait to see more progress.
Well here's a little somethin' again. This has gone super slowly lately but there's not much left to do in terms of shaping so from now on it'll be a lot of sanding and then it's time for stain and lacquer.

Recesses for the switches done.

A test fit with the preamp and pup switches. I'll probably switch the screws for black countersunk ones.
Quote by lumberjack
You rule the internet!

My recordings
Holy crap... I just realized none of my previous pics are working. I had to move them (well, URL-wise only the top level domain changed...) and I have set up a redirect but maybe UG is not following redirects? I wonder if there is a way to fix this without editing the URLs of ALL the pics...

In the meantime, here's a few pics that hopefully do work. Despite this thread being practically dead for some time, I'm still working on this. I saw an amazing bevelled-top guitar and couldn't resist doing the same here. I went with quite subtle bevels and to be honest, the top thickness will not even allow me to go much deeper. It's still a bit rough but you get the idea.

Quote by lumberjack
You rule the internet!

My recordings
It's looking great so far man. Shame we can't see the rest of the pics
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Very cool, your builds are some of my favorites. I was going to say something about the pictures, but didn't want to necrobump the thread.

Hope there is an easy way to take care of it, I look to your threads for reference a lot, but if you have to change every single picture....yeah I won't hold it against you not doing it.
Thanks! BTW, I tweaked the redirection settings and now all my old pics should be working again.
Quote by lumberjack
You rule the internet!

My recordings
Surprise I bet you all thought this build is dead and buried... Well, it's not Although nothing much has happened during past months, I have done some little things like filled the fret ends and put on the side markers on the neck. Everything is beginning to be ready for stain + lacquer and I hope I'll have time to do the finishing stuff soon. Pics will follow of course.
Quote by lumberjack
You rule the internet!

My recordings
Here are the pics of what I've done since I don't remember when. Next up will be trying different methods for staining the black.

Filled the fret ends with superglue + ebony dust as usual.

Installed MOP side dots.
Quote by lumberjack
You rule the internet!

My recordings
Thanks! Back in business, I finally had time to properly sand the top + headstock and I also got to do some tests with the water based stain I'm using. The results were ok and so I went on and put the first layer of stain on the top and headstock and the results are here

I sanded the top to 320 grit.

And the headstock too...

With stain

The figure already shows quite nicely but I think I will sand it back a bit and stain it again to emphasize it a bit more.
Quote by lumberjack
You rule the internet!

My recordings
That looks ****ing awesome. Love trans black
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Just a quick status update, the first coat of clear is on and today I'll be doing some sanding, adding headstock decals and spraying some more lacquer on it. Sadly I only have crappy pics of it and I can't even show you those because I don't have an usb cable nor a card reader to get the pics out of my camera.
Quote by lumberjack
You rule the internet!

My recordings
Phew... after some serious sanding and more lacquer the finishing part is done now. I'll post pics tomorrow.
Quote by lumberjack
You rule the internet!

My recordings
Here come the pics as promised. The appearance changes quite a lot depending on the lighting and viewing angle but overall I'm very happy with the results. Now there will be final sanding and buffing left and then it'll be time to fit the parts together and do some fretwork.

I also made control cavity covers out of wenge laminate but I forgot them to the spraying booth.

Headstock + logo. The tiny spots on the chrome letters are air bubbles. I hope to get them off by sanding...

There are a few bubbles also on this side but they are not as clearly visible.

Apart from bubbles in the headstock the neck turned out good.

The colour on the top is almost exactly what I was looking for. Initially I thought about doing a burst but then I decided that the bevel looks better without it.

Here the backside looks almost pitch black...

...but actually you can see the wood figure through the finish
Quote by lumberjack
You rule the internet!

My recordings