Page 1 of 2
Hello

So here's my RIG:

PEDALBOARD

GUITAR & AMP

IN ACTION!

So here's how I use this rig in gigs, rehearsals etc:
I set my amp to be as loud as it can be but clean. Because I only want this amp to be a clean platform.

For light overdrive (blues, ac/dc etc) - TUBESCREAMER - TS9
For distortion - DS1
For fuzz - DUH - BIGMUFF

Now when I go for a solo I can't get through the mix... this will be solved with the volume boost pedal right? Like the SHO(SUPERHARDON), or will it saturate even more my sound besides pumping the volume? Is there any pedal that raises the volume without driving even more my sound?

I know the ZVEX - BOX OF ROCK, has separeted circuits so the boost doesn't affect the distortion, does the SHO does this on it's own?

I have to crank the volume on my TS-9, in some songs so I can get a bit volume raise in my solos, but that doesn't solve my problem.

Any advices? Should I get the box of rock has my main distortion, and save money cause it comes with a boost already?

Ok so, the improvements that will be done to this rig will probably be:

PEDALS:

MI AUDIO - CRUNCH BOX - DISTORTION (to replace the Boss DS-1)
MXR - CARBON COPY - DELAY
ZVEX - SUPER HARD ON - BOOST

AMP:

SPEAKER - CELESTION V30

I'm accepting any suggestions, questions, critiques.

Feel free,

Teque
How are you EQing your amp? What are the other guitarists/bassists using?
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join
Quote by Teque86
Ok so, the improvements that will be done to this rig will probably be:

PEDALS:

MXR - CARBON COPY - DELAY

I'm accepting any suggestions, questions, critiques.

Feel free,

Teque

you should look into a malekko ekko 616 instead
Actually the Celestion V30 should cut like hell through the mix, and it didn't matter much how I EQ'd it because the EQ didn't do much.

What I noticed is that the BH5 can't go too loud before it starts overdriving, so your problem might be that you aren't loud enough.

Don't know what a volume-boost would do to your tone.

TBH, I think you bought the wrong amp for what you are doing. To me those Blackhearts are amps for that tube poweramp distortion without being overly loud and that's it.

As pedal platform you would be better off with a Fender HRD, Peavey Classic or something else with a good clean channel with more headroom than 5 or 15W.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
thank you for the quick replys.

my other guitarrist is using a marshall avt50 something like that.
i just don't cut through the mix in the solos, cause I need something that boost my volume.

the amp is fine, 15 watts almost cranked are more than enough and most of the times i still have to lower the volume or i get over all my band. the amp is definitly not the problem, i just want to know if i should buy a volume boost pedal to cut it in the solos.

and to know you guys opinions about this rig, with the final pedalboard, i got a cool setup ready for any kind of gigs with quality sound, right?

regards,

teque
GUITARS: Gibson Les Paul Classic 1960
PEDALBOARD: TC POLYTUNE, GCB-95(mod)CRYBABY, MXR DYNACOMP, WAMPLER SUPERPLEXTORTION, TS-9, BIG MUFF, SMALL STONE, SMALL CLONE, MALEKKO EKKO 616, DR SCIENTIST MINI REVERBERATOR
MY COVERS
SELLING TS-9 w/ TB MOD
If you are the point of the amp being as loud as it can be clean then adding a boost will push it into overdrive.
It should give you a definite boost to get over the mix. but if you are trying to stay clean then you could have some problems
not wanting to stay clean, imagine that i got my ds1 on, then i go for a solo i want a bit more of volume, i push the volume boost, and i still get my tone, maybe with a bit more dirt, but i get a volume punch. right?
PEDALBOARD: TC POLYTUNE, GCB-95(mod)CRYBABY, MXR DYNACOMP, WAMPLER SUPERPLEXTORTION, TS-9, BIG MUFF, SMALL STONE, SMALL CLONE, MALEKKO EKKO 616, DR SCIENTIST MINI REVERBERATOR
MY COVERS
SELLING TS-9 w/ TB MOD
I run my amp clean like you do, I usually set my overdrive about the same volume as the amp, maybe a tad higher and put my guitar volume on around 6 or 7. Then when I need to cut through for a solo or lead riff I just turn up the volume on the guitar. You said your amp isn't turned up all the way so I would suggest turning it up so that it will cut through and then adjusting your volume via guitar.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Personally I wouldn't definitely wouldn't deal a DS-1 for distortion, though the M audio is supposedly a lot better.

Truly besides pedals the only thing I would do with your rig would be the amp. I would go for something that is more solely suited on cleans and with more headroom.

In fact, the blackheart is more of a crank and get some nice power tube break up and use your volume knob for clean kind of amp than a just clean amp. To each his own :.
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
If you run an overdrive as a volume boost into an already distorted amp, especially with a dirt pedal already on, it's going to do absolutely nothing.

If you had the amp running clean, with the DS at unity volume, using that for dirt, and ran the TS9 with volume max gain zero, then you might get a slight volume boost. In all likelihood you won't, though. It really all depends on how loud the amp already is. If it's close to breaking up, then it's going to do nothing. If it's barely on, it'll be a boost.

The only real thing that works is a clean boost or EQ in the loop.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
the headroom of this amp is fine.
i get cleans that go over my drummer and he's almost king kong!

so when you guys talk about a clean boost, something like mxr micro amp, zvex super hard on. etc right?

this amp doesn't have a fx loop, will the EQ still do a good job bumping mids and bumping volume?
MY COVERS
SELLING TS-9 w/ TB MOD
Quote by hawk_kst
You should totally add slippers to your setup...

I also hear tone cats are good this time of year.
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
Quote by Teque86
my other guitarrist is using a marshall avt50 something like that.
i just don't cut through the mix in the solos, cause I need something that boost my MIDS.

fixed

I use a CAE 401 boost to fill out my tone and have to say its the best pedal I've ever used.
1 2

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as thoughts keep drifting
as walls keep shifting
and this great blue world of ours
seems a House of Leaves

My Rig
Quote by Will Swanson
HeavyReverb = Hero of The Pit 2010.
Quote by I-Shot-Jr
You sir are my absolute hero.
Last edited by HeavyReverb at Sep 9, 2010,
Without an effects loop you're not going to be able to do much. You could take an EQ and boost the shit out of the mids, but that's about all you can really do.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
but, if i put my boost pedal in front of the amp i can get a raise in volume right? or does it ONLY give a volume boost if it's in the fx loop?
MY COVERS
SELLING TS-9 w/ TB MOD
Last edited by Teque86 at Sep 9, 2010,
It will give a gain boost if it's before the amp
1 2

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as walls keep shifting
seems a House of Leaves

My Rig
Quote by Will Swanson
Quote by I-Shot-Jr
damn!
there's no way i can get a volume boost without an fx loop? i didn't know that...
that's crazy!

what about if i get a box of rock has my main distortion and then use the boost on it, it says the circuits are separated so the boost doesn't affect the amount of distortion, it only bumps the volume.. is this a solution?
MY COVERS
SELLING TS-9 w/ TB MOD
Last edited by Teque86 at Sep 9, 2010,
You don't need a volume boost, you need a midrange boost
1 2

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as walls keep shifting
seems a House of Leaves

My Rig
Quote by Will Swanson
Quote by I-Shot-Jr
ok, so i'll be searching a nice EQ pedal, that can get me a little more dB's and mid range bite.
any suggestions?

i will be using it exclusively for solos btw
MY COVERS
SELLING TS-9 w/ TB MOD
Quote by HeavyReverb
You don't need a volume boost, you need a midrange boost

EQ the mids and it will cut straight through.

When I read the OP, this is what I thought straight away, scrolled down and found two pages of the same answer.

Mids
The boss is ok but fairly meh IMO.

I would highly recommend this
http://www.catalinbread.com/Varioboost.html
1 2

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as walls keep shifting
seems a House of Leaves

My Rig
Quote by Will Swanson
Quote by I-Shot-Jr
Quote by GezzyDiversion
Industry standard is this bad boy

Pricey new, but should be able to find cheap used.

It's not at all. The MXR EQ's are the industry standard. The boss is very noisey in the signal chain.
Even the £30 Danelectro Fish n Chips is a lot better than the Boss is.

However this is one of the few situations where an EQ is probably a good solution.
The BOR would be pretty good as a Distortion and a bit more. Instead of running the TS9 and the Crunch Box.

The PGS Box of Rock demo shows what the BOR is capable of, and demonstrates the problems you'd have boosting the amp.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

The Box of Rock is, like all ZVex pedals, a complete rip-off. It's good and all but costs more than twice what it should.
1 2

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as walls keep shifting
seems a House of Leaves

My Rig
Quote by Will Swanson
Quote by I-Shot-Jr
$200 isn't bad really. Considering that the SHO on it's own is $169 or something like that.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

so what now? i get the box of rock as my main distortion? keep the ts-9 for low overdrive songs, use the BOR boost for solos. and i'm done?

what if i still get the crunch box has my main distortion, and get an eq pedal to boost mids and volume at solos?

i asked some friend musicians and they all told me an EQ is a weapon in a guitar players rig, it's essencial...
MY COVERS
SELLING TS-9 w/ TB MOD
what about just a power booster? It seems like that has been totally ignored or just automatically ruled out. Electro-harmonix lpb-1 is my vote. might add just a little dirt but are you really going to do a solo completely clean?
Guitars:
LTD F-50
Yamaha EG-112
'77 Harmony
Roadworn Starcaster
Gretsch G5120

Amps:
Vypyr 15
Epiphone Valve Junior combo
i would highly recommend a Fulltone Fat Boost. it gives you adjustably more mids, which is probably what you are looking for

going for a two mode overdrive would help if you are looking to only boost when using distortion. the boost will give you more gain, but it should increase your volume a little bit.

maybe a Fulldrive?

--------------

i am not a fulltone fanboy of any form, i just think the make a few pedals that would be a solution.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
people said you can't get a boost in volume if you don't put the pedal in the fx loop.
so i don't have an fx loop, i need an eq..
MY COVERS
SELLING TS-9 w/ TB MOD
Like we've said you don't need a boost in volume, you need a boost in mids
1 2

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as walls keep shifting
seems a House of Leaves

My Rig
Quote by Will Swanson
Quote by I-Shot-Jr
Quote by HeavyReverb
Like we've said you don't need a boost in volume, you need a boost in mids

Agreed.

Instead of running out and getting 2 or 3 pedals just tackle the mids first. The mid-range frequencies are what guitars are built around really. Set all the EQ sliders to '0' and then slowly move the mid bands up until you get desired tone. That's one way.

After that, then l would look into something like a Digitech Bad Monkey if you are on a budget. Slightly cleaner than a Tubescreamer, 2 band EQ, $50 new, you can run it as a clean boost too with Gain = 0, Level = 10.

I have a Danoelectro 7 band EQ and for a budget EQ it works really well despite a tad of hiss. Very small tad.
I use a behringer EQ,very very cheap but does the job, even at the same volume cranking the mids really helps to cut through, real audible difference! Shame you haven't got an FX loop as this makes things ways simpler.

Bad Monkeys not a bad suggestion, I run one of these in front of my Blackstar HT5 and with level maxed there is a definite volume boost even in front of the amp. Cheap pedal but sounds great in front of a valve amp!!
well, i was sitting here thinking... and i went to our rehearsal place, and my eq on the amp; i got the mids almost cranked already, i got my treble 11oclock... so treble might be the problem no?

i will definitly get an EQ pedal, probably the fish'N'chips cause i read many reviews on it and it looks good. besides i will just try that cheap option, if it doesn't work i'll get an amp with fx loop.

thing is i made some changes to this Handsomedevil amp.. and i really like it's tone when pushed from clean to dirt with pedals.

this sunday i will work a bit better with pedal order, i will try to get the main distortion with ds-1 (don't know how famous guitar players use this pedal...), for light distortion i will roll the guitar volume knob. and for solos i push the ts-9 with level maxed out.
MY COVERS
SELLING TS-9 w/ TB MOD
Page 1 of 2