Hi, so I want to wire a small 4 x 4 inch 10 watt speaker to a 3.5mm jack so I can play an iPod Touch through the speaker. I'm going to do this for an A level project in school, obviously I'm going to do more with it, but I don't really need to go into all the details.
The speaker will be powered by the iPod by the way, there will be no other power source.

This is the website that shows how to wire it:
http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-wire-a-headphone-jack-to-a-speaker/#step1

So in the last step, the guy says:
"it should work perfectly, though it may be rather quiet..."
"You can supposedly add an amplifier in between the headphone jack and speaker to make it louder..."

I don't know how quiet is "rather quiet", but do you think it's worth installing an amplifier?

I've searched about these amplifiers, and they need a power supply (not sure if that applies to all amplifiers). Now I'm just wondering if the iPod will be able to power these amplifiers as well as the speakers...

Just to say, I've found a 7 watt mono audio amplifier module that will operate at 8-18v. I'm just wondering if the iPod Touch will be able to power that much?
Also, what watt amplifier would you recommend for a small 10 watt speaker?

As you probably already know, I know nothing about these electronical components at all. I'm kinda new to it, so can you guys please help me out?!

Thanks,
Mason
Gear:
-Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain Top Cherry Sunburst
-Peavey Vypyr 15
-Ernie Ball Regular Slinky 0.10
-Jim Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah pedal
-Boss DS-1 Distortion pedal
-Cleartone instrument cable

L.F.C
Quote by salgala2000
In GB&C there's an ultimate electronics thread. You may want to ask in that thread.

Oh thanks. But I really don't have time to post another thread at the moment unfortunately, I need to get this all sorted out by tomorrow and I still got other things to do as well at the moment, and I need the sleep for school tomorrow.

So please guys, anyone help me out?
Gear:
-Peavey Vypyr 15

L.F.C
amplifiers require power. You could potentially use the power line on the dock connector, but that would drain the iPod battery like nobody's business and likely not provide you with enough current. Stick a 9v battery on it.
You're using UG classic, congratulations.
You should be using UG classic.

E-Married to Guitar0Player

http://the llama forum because its gone forever which sucks and I hate it.
Quote by jgbsmith
amplifiers require power. You could potentially use the power line on the dock connector, but that would drain the iPod battery like nobody's business and likely not provide you with enough current. Stick a 9v battery on it.

How would a 9v battery be connected in the circuit?
Gear:
-Peavey Vypyr 15

L.F.C
you got the schematic?

edit: connect it to the 8-18v amplifier, where it says to connect the power source. positive to positive, negative to negative.
You're using UG classic, congratulations.
You should be using UG classic.

E-Married to Guitar0Player

http://the llama forum because its gone forever which sucks and I hate it.
Last edited by jgbsmith at Sep 8, 2010,
Quote by jgbsmith
you got the schematic?

No sorry, can I just use a DC power supply from the mains to power the whole thing?
Gear:
-Peavey Vypyr 15

L.F.C
Nevermind, I'll get it sorted out somehow. I'll probably just talk to my DT teacher about my project. Thanks anyway ^^
Gear:
-Peavey Vypyr 15

L.F.C