I'm about to become a teacher and I'm really adamant that I'm going to be good at it. In my opinion I have the experience and I have the knowledge that I need, but I want to know, in your lessons, what either would have made a difference to your playing and would have made you learn better/ faster, what hindered you and stopped you from developing the way you wanted too, and what tips would you give someone who really wants to inspire people to be the best player they can be?
Quote by hawk_kst
What I hated about guitar lessons was always learning songs I didn't enjoy...
I swear people have got to be stupid to over look that one though but it happened all the time!

This was going to be one of my main points, don't try and force your music tastes on your pupils, my first guitar teacher did this, and many other things wrong and he put me off lessons for life, ask them what they like and find songs in those styles that are suitable.
You may have to teach Jonas Brothers or Green Day songs but your pupils will enjoy that a lot more than having old blues songs and such forced on them.

Another thing would be to introduce theory/ear training fairly early, that would have seriously helped my playing, a lot more than having a teacher just write tabs out for me that I can find online in 5 minutes myself.

Some obvious simple tips would be to turn up on time, have some decent equipment, cancel with good notice if you need to and don't constantly show off, it makes pupils feel inadequate.
All common sense you would think, but my teacher did none of this, I haven't had a lesson since
what I did when I started teaching was making sure that the student knew how to practice, for example when I showed them chords I explained that you can learn them by strumming up and down four times and then switching the chords, just really make sure that they practice it the right and slow way,

another thing I read on a blog here that when you grab a chord and you strum it the first time with your fingers pressing the strings down and the second time strumming it but not with your fingers pressing the strings down but the fingers must be in the same place, so the first time is the chord en the second time just badly muted strings. Why this is a good exercise is because from the tense/relax movement in your fingers actually increases the ability in your brain to remember the position and so become better in grabbing the chord easy and fast, and the student feels like he can actually practice something.

also what I did is ask them for their favorite artist and just take some small riffs out of songs and teach them, the love to practice for a result that they can see immediately result of the time put in the instrument.

but most of all make sure they know it takes a long time to learn to play smoothly and that with good practice and patience they will get there, talk to them about how they practice and ask for their opinion so the feel comfortable with their teach, because the teach is one of the biggest inspirations

hope it helped :p
I'm kind of trying to do this myself. I mean, I'm teaching a friend of mine who just bought a guitar recently. But I am attempting to do lessons every week with her. (So, I am actually teaching her, just she isn't paying me.) I'm mostly just trying to guide her along, as she is the type of person who is good with digging up stuff on her own. So, I mostly help her. I check on her and have her play some of what she's been practicing. I have told her things like, "Ok, you've done two-chord progressions, now I want you to try do three-chord progressions." She's about 23, so I don't have to be a taskmaster like I might be with a preteen or little kid. But it's all very new to me. A lot of it is just me figuring out, week to week, where to guide her. I hope I'm doing a good job...

Edit: Anyway, I guess my point is that a lot of it is going to be just keeping in touch with what your students need, each particular week. Like if student A needs to work on learning this type of chord or this type of rhythm, etc.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Sep 8, 2010,
that sounds awesome man. I think thats the thing i'm most bothered about in a formal setting. Getting to the stage where I think - well what do I teach them now? I suppose the early stages last ages and ages though. Getting chords down took me months. That said, if every student I got became good enough to not need lessons off me after a few months I'd probably consider that damn good tutelage =D