BOTH OF MY GUITARS: I set my truss correctly and when I reduce my action i get string buzz...does anyone know what their action is set to?? I can't go below 3/32" or 4/32" from the neck without buzz. As a result I'm getting sharp intonation with the saddles all the way back on most strings. I assume it's coming from the tension from the high action to push the string down on the 12th.

I just setup my friends guitar...his action was about 2/32" low...no string buzz...and his intonations were good.

I have a squier bullet ($120), and an epiphone les paul ($450)

My friend has a Schecter ($800)
raise you action slightly, it`s the act of lowering your action that`s caused the fret buzz, the intonation won`t be solved until you sort out the buzz.
Well, it depends where the buzz is happening. The truss rod can also cause buzzing, if not properly adjusted. You need to be able to eye the neck, or check it with a straight ruler.
Thanks for the reply

Quesion....even if I get the buzz to go away by raising the action (lets also assume my nut is high enough)...won't that make the intonation even harder to achieve??

I've been using a feeler gauge to measure the truss rod...capo at the first and finger at the last fret....i'm shooting for just over .01" at the 8th fret
Last edited by dailyplayer at Sep 8, 2010,
throw away the feeler gauge, fret the 1st (use a capo) and last fret on the low E (where the body joins the neck, somewhere in the 15th to 18th fret area)

there should be a little bit of bounce in the string when you lightly tap it but it should not touch the fingerboard or fret at the 8th.

Jenny should come in really soon and be able to direct you better......
Last edited by ibanezgod1973 at Sep 8, 2010,
Could be worn frets or need a shim, my action is about 2mm at the 24th.
I've gone through a lot of this with my own guitar. All guitars are different. Where are you measuring action from? Measure the action on the low E string at the 12th fret and on the high e string 12th fret, if that isn't what you are already doing.

If you have 3/32 at the 12th fret on the low e string, that is a pretty decent action. It's not really that high. 4/32 is getting up there. Where exactly do you get the fret buzz? What string and what fret? Another mistake that I made was seeing if my guitar was still getting fret buzz when I played it unplugged. Sometimes you don't realize how hard you are slamming on the strings when it isn't plugged in, and most all guitars will get some fret buzz if you slam on the strings.

When you're intonating, you are playing the open string, making sure it is in tune, then playing the same string fretted at the 12th fret to see if that note is sharp or flat? Increasing the string length if the 12th fret note is sharp and decreasing if it is flat? Making sure to re-tune the string and check intonation again once the string is in tune again?

Important question: When is the last time you changed your strings and what gauge are you using?

I hope we can figure your problem out!
When setting your intonation don't check it while your guitar is laying flat. Check it how you play it as gravity will have an effect. Also make sure your fretting the string the same everytime you check it. That's advise a friend of mine gave me that's been a Fender master tech for over 30 years. He also reminded me that a guitar is an out of tune instrument and you'll never get it 100% perfect.
where's the buzz, what strings and frets.

is the trem balanced?

measure the guitar's neck relief.

and like asked, how old are and what gauge strings?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011