Hey guys I was just wondering how to play modes in different patterns. For example, Like instead of playing D dorian, and I wanna play in F dorian. Also, I was wondering how to play the modes in different parts of the neck instead of the basic C Major position. If anyone can help that would be awesome. Thanks!
Well if you want to play F dorian, play the dorian scale starting from an F.

If you simply want to learn the modes in seperate positions, I recommend constructing them yourself using the scale formulas (inb4 "hurr hurr modes aren't scales BOOO")
Play the dorian pattern starting on F.

The positions are all the same on the guitar. C Ionian is the exact same "shape" as A ionian, they just have different accidentals being played.

If you know all seven modes, you automatically know how to play them in any key.
Quote by celticstorm84
endless supply of cats = endless supply of food.

Quote by Calibos
I've also noticed that as i've got older, I want to be further and further away from the front at a gig. Damn kids with their mushy pits and walls of doom.
Quote by Rockwontdie
Hey guys I was just wondering how to play modes in different patterns. For example, Like instead of playing D dorian, and I wanna play in F dorian. Also, I was wondering how to play the modes in different parts of the neck instead of the basic C Major position. If anyone can help that would be awesome. Thanks!

the patterns for the modes can be found here...

Scale/Mode patterns
shred is gaudy music
Quote by Rockwontdie

What are you trying to do with modes?

Are you playing the scale and nothing with it, no backing track, no bass, no chords, etc? If so, fine. If not, then you aren't playing modes. Modes isnt by itself a pattern, or ONLY a pattern. If you want to call a pattern a mode, thats well and good, but you arent playing a Mode. This is an area of misunderstanding perpetuated in a myriad of ways even in your favorite guitar magazines.

You will find that most likely everything you play will not be a mode but simply major or minor, regardless of the patterns' name.

That settled, If you want to play a Pattern that you are calling F Dorian, you'd start that pattern on an F Note, and play that pattern.

Again, you are not playing Modes. Modes are not scales like you understand scales such as blues scales and minor scales to function on the guitar.

Best,

Sean
Last edited by Sean0913 at Sep 9, 2010,
Quote by Sean0913
What are you trying to do with modes?

Are you playing the scale and noting with it, no backing track, no bass, no chords, etc? If so, fine. If not, then you aren't playing modes. Modes isnt by itself a pattern, or ONLY a pattern. If you want to call a pattern a mode, thats well and good, but you arent playing a Mode. This is an area of misunderstanding perpetuated in a myriad of ways even in your favorite guitar magazines.

You will find that most likely everything you play will not be a mode but simply major or minor, regardless of the patterns' name.

That settled, If you want to play a Pattern that you are calling F Dorian, you'd start that pattern on an F Note, and play that pattern.

Again, you are not playing Modes. Modes are not scales like you understand scales such as blues scales and minor scales to function on the guitar.

Best,

Sean

Well, if a person plays the F dorian pattern starting on F..... they are playing the F dorian mode/scale.
shred is gaudy music
Quote by GuitarMunky
Well, if a person plays the F dorian pattern starting on F..... they are playing the F dorian mode/scale.

Unless of course, it is played in the context of a song which is not in F dorian. But if the scale is played alone, and it definitely resolves to the F, I agree with your statement.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by GuitarMunky

Not necessarily.

You could start on F and do the F dorian pattern over a Gmin7 and that doesn't mean you are playing the F dorian scale nor modally.

Starting on a note or even ending on one doesnt determine what scale or mode you are playing, you would still be in Eb.
Last edited by Pillo114 at Sep 8, 2010,
Quote by AlanHB
Unless of course, it is played in the context of a song which is not in F dorian. But if the scale is played alone, and it definitely resolves to the F, I agree with your statement.

well, I only gave the one context...... a dorian pattern played from F.

Quote by Pillo114
Not necessarily.

You could start on F and do the F dorian pattern over a Gmin7 and that doesn't mean you are playing the F dorian scale nor modally.

Starting on a note or even ending on one doesnt determine what scale or mode you are playing, you would still be in Eb.

^ you guys are adding contexts and ignoring my point.

It was suggested that modes, aren't really modes if they are played unaccompanied, and that this is a unique trait. My point was addressing that and only that.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Sep 8, 2010,
Quote by GuitarMunky
well, I only gave the one context...... a dorian pattern played from F.

you guys are adding contexts and ignoring my point.

I thought your statement had an implied context of "nothing" or "by itself". I was just adding and agreed with your statement.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
I thought your statement had an implied context of "nothing" or "by itself". I was just adding and agreed with your statement.

Oh I see.... well I agree about your addition, it's just that I was making a specific point. (that modes are no different than scales in regards to the fact that they both can exist unaccompanied)..... and therefore learning a modal pattern and playing it on your guitar is not a pointless activity.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Sep 8, 2010,
Quote by GuitarMunky
Oh I see.... well I agree about your addition, it's just that I was making a specific point. (that modes are no different than scales in regards to the fact that they both can exist unaccompanied)..... and therefore learning a modal pattern and playing it on your guitar is not a pointless activity.

I think also that it's not a pointless activity - I think self-jamming with the pattern is a great way to familiarise yourself with the sound of it, and teaches you not to turn it into a relative minor/major scale no matter how tempting it may be.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
I think also that it's not a pointless activity - I think self-jamming with the pattern is a great way to familiarise yourself with the sound of it, and teaches you not to turn it into a relative minor/major scale no matter how tempting it may be.

But keep in mind that you are never allowed to use modes ever and even if you are you are not using them properly
Quote by BlitzkriegAir
1. Get drunk
2. play pentatonic scales fast
3. throw in some divebombs and pinch harmonics
4. Get killed onstage
5. become legendary guitarist instantaneously

Quote by Holy Katana

How dare you attack the greatness of the augmented sixth?
The more I hear MT debate about modes the more I want nothing to do with them.
Quote by Calibos
The more I hear MT debate about modes the more I want nothing to do with them.

the more i hear MT debate about modes, the more i want to start becoming an active user again.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
What about like, E Mixolydian? Just start on an E note but play the formula that the Mixolydian mode holds?
Quote by Rockwontdie
What about like, E Mixolydian? Just start on an E note but play the formula that the Mixolydian mode holds?

yup... just like any other pattern/shape.
shred is gaudy music
Ehh well I want to expand instead of playing pentatonic all of the time, that's all.