Not sure if this makes sense, but, if I do a degree in the UK, and would like to move to the US, OZ, Canada, sometime in the future, which kind of degree would be most effective for this?

Cheers pit.
Degrees for jobs that are in high demand will get you to a lot of places (or so I naively believe).
I saw a list of the most underpopulated jobs in different countries. I'll try to find it. I remember Engineering and Medecine were pretty high up, as were skilled labourers like carpenters.

EDIT: I'm pretty sure Computer Science and IT were big ones, although it seems that there are a lot of people studying it now, so there's gonna be a lot of competition in a few years.
Last edited by sashki at Sep 8, 2010,
Quote by The_Casinator
Study like I will: International Law.

True, but if the thread starter does move, he will have to do a "conversion" degree in the country of choice.

Engineering or any Sciences will be useful, but I would concentrate on doing a degree in England you would enjoy.

You could always study in the country of choice? Finances are the key issue though, as you would be expected to fund the full costs!
My "Rig":

Fender American Telecaster
Boss OD-2
EHX Small Clone
EHX SMM avec HAZARAI
Medicine's an obvious one, wherever in the world you are you'll always be in demand, of course choosing medicine solely based on that, (or any degree for that matter,) is a bad idea.
Science in general.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
Quote by Pure_Morning
True, but if the thread starter does move, he will have to do a "conversion" degree in the country of choice.

Engineering or any Sciences will be useful, but I would concentrate on doing a degree in England you would enjoy.

You could always study in the country of choice? Finances are the key issue though, as you would be expected to fund the full costs!

Yeah, I'm doing optometry and apparently there is a conversion course in Canada. However, I'll need 4 years to graduate, 1 year for pre-reg, and then a minimum of 2 years of experience before I can apply there.

Plus, I'd need citizenship beforehand. Quite a few hurdles.

On top of that, who knows if they'll have that conversion course when I'm qualified!
Crop science is in pretty high demand right now, since the UN is pushing biofuel development and there's fears of wheat shortages. In Oz and Canada I believe they would be in more need than over here as the climates are more extreme, and I think most of the current crop work has been focused on climates closer to ours (don't take my word for that though). However while it is in-demand, as a former crop science lab dogsbody, I can tell you it's like watching paint dry.
Quote by CV334

Sir, the contents of my mouth just blew all over my keyboard, desk, and part of my monitor. For the record, it was slightly chewed Keebler cookies and coffee slurry.

The average pitmonkey's response to my jokes.
Celsius appears to be the most predominant.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by Jackal58
Celsius appears to be the most predominant.

Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
Quote by Deaddog
Do something original, like botany or biology.

And be unemployed? :P

My cousin studied biology and couldn't find a job. Now he does something completely unrelated.

I hear you need a PhD just to get a job.
Quote by Philip_pepper

My cousin studied biology and couldn't find a job. Now he does something completely unrelated.

But doing a biology (or other science) phD in Britain is like a job but with the benefits of being a student. Most phDs are funded by the government, you get a stipend of on average £14,000 a year, completely tax free. Once you've got your phD, you can go on to post-doctoral research, which is a full time job, and leads to a research position, and becoming lecturer, assistant professor and then professor. Alternatively, from a BSc there's quite a bit of work going, such as lab tech, research assistants, teaching, medical lab work. You just have to do well at your degree, get work experience while studying (most unis will offer lab work to students, often paid), and ask early. There's people in every degree field who don't find jobs related to what they studied, the trick is to be good at what you do, get experience and apply early.
Quote by CV334

Sir, the contents of my mouth just blew all over my keyboard, desk, and part of my monitor. For the record, it was slightly chewed Keebler cookies and coffee slurry.

The average pitmonkey's response to my jokes.
Quote by Philip_pepper

Dude - other than engineering, commerce/accounting, and maybe computer science, undergrad degrees are pretty useless in getting you employed. You need at least a Master's to be competitive (depending on area of study, of course).
MATTERHORN
Quote by Doctor Matthews
Dude - other than engineering, commerce/accounting, and maybe computer science, undergrad degrees are pretty useless in getting you employed. You need at least a Master's to be competitive (depending on area of study, of course).
I'd have to argue against computer science, 10-15 years ago a bachelors got you pretty far but not anymore. I roomed with a nice Indian guy a while ago who had a masters in Programming and had to take a temp job out of state just to feed his family. It's a cut-throat industry.
Quote by Doctor Matthews

This is pretty accurate. Most undergrad degrees are fairly useless.