Hey, I've been playing for a little over a year now and lately I've been very scrutinizing about my technique, so this question has been bothering me...

How the **** do you hold your pick when you gallop/alternate pick rapidly?

Right now I am trying to do it with my fingers stretched out away from my hand, with the pick sideways sort of similar to James Hetfields style, but I still don't think I have it right...

And my other way is hopelessly scrunching down on the pick very close to my hand, to the point to where there is no opening in the middle of my index and thumb meeting... This is the way I do it most acurately but the chugs sound pussified compared to the other technique...

So do you all have any suggestions on how I should hold it and move with It? It pisses me off because I've been playing like this so long and I'm just now learning that I better learn a different way...
CURRENT GEAR

- '91 Ibanez RG550
- Boss ME-70 Multi-Effects
- Peavey Envoy 110
- Fender Champion 600 (Needs new power tube)
- Old Piece-o-Crap Harmony Acoustic
It all comes down to what you find comfy really. When I have to play fast though, I tend to have my fingers loose-ish, and then I angle my pick forward slightly, if that helps at all.
I usually hold it tight gripping the pick with my thumb and index. Palm mute the notes with my palm. I usually try to keep my other fingers open, with my pinky curled inwards.
get a pic of your self holding the pick it would be more useful and what kind of pick are you using? it also depends on that for me i use dunlop jazz III and they are different from most of the picks

Gear
Schecter Jeff Loomis NT (7 string bad-ass)
Esp Ltd Deluxe MH-1000 FR
ENGL Screamer 50
Quote by Rangor6363
If you wanna learn how to play something, first you gotta listen it!

Last.fm
Okay. I just realized I should have posted this in the technique analysis sticky... Sorry for my ingnorance ...

But I am currently using regular Dunlop Tortex .88mm pick. I think I'm gonna try the Jazz III tho, my guitar teacher has one.... But anyway here they are

^First way, scrunched down pick a little away from being parallel from string.

^Second, open with pick pretty sideways....
CURRENT GEAR

- '91 Ibanez RG550
- Peavey Envoy 110
Quote by xxxDavidMaysxxx
Right now I am trying to do it with my fingers stretched out away from my hand, with the pick sideways sort of similar to James Hetfields style, but I still don't think I have it right...

What exactly is wrong with this way of playing?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Well I'm not used to it, and not i'm used to it and I think i am doing the more open way incorectly. I guess I should have clarified that but yes.
CURRENT GEAR

- '91 Ibanez RG550
- Peavey Envoy 110
Last edited by xxxDavidMaysxxx at Sep 8, 2010,
Quote by xxxDavidMaysxxx
Well I'm not used to it, i'm used to the scruntched down way... I guess I should have clarified that but yes.

Well you have two choices: practice and get used to it or find some way of improving the tone from the method you're used to. Figure out what the difference is between the way the pick strikes the strings and make a change based on that.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
first pic looks strange to me, I need the pick near the tip of my thumb, vary the angle of attack till you find the right feel and tone. Try a jazzIII too maybe, the pointy tips help.
the first pic has to be the most uncomfortable thing i have seen. u shouldnt pick like that man. it will slow it down more than likely. pick the way u show in the second pic. but angle the pick forward in stead of backwards. thats what hetfield does and hes the god of rhythm guitar. cant go wrong there