Page 1 of 2
I know, it may seem like an obvious question, but whats better?

Ibanez Prestige start at around $1200 and goes up from there. My question is whats better, a 1200 dollar ibanez or a 1200 warwick.

Warwicks are well, expensive because 1) its a freaking warwick and 2) cost of labor since theyre foreign and relitively uncommon (you'll find some in stores but obviously not as much as an ibanez or a fender, etc). When I say 'better' I mean in terms of sound, realiability and yada yada yada, the whole shebang.

Personally, I love warwicks and they're my top pick, but im too poor for one and I think Ibanez is an amazing brand too, but because Warwick is bass exclusive, I would imagine that means that their basses are top notch, albeit it than Ibanez as we all know, is superior in craftsmanship and quality to most other brands. I feel that Ibanez and Warwick would be a good 'battle'.

Yes I know that they are far more expensive brands than Ibanez and even a Warwick, but these are my top two picks and would like to know the major differences. heck, I might even be surprised.
pinga
Last edited by Cb4rabid at Sep 8, 2010,
Make sure you try both, before you consider buying. Ibanez constantly seem to strive for thinner necks, and Warwick have quite thick necks. Pickups are very different too, as Ibanez use Bartolini's, I think, and Warwicks use MEC's.

Its all down to personal preference, and its nothing to do with whats "better". Such a subjective word, when it comes down to stuff like this.

I'd say that Warwick makes the better bass, at that price, but thats because I personally don't care much for Ibanez basses, however, they're cosmetically, very nice.

The fact is, that some will not like the thickness of the neck on a Warwick bass, or the signature growl, so I can't say what is better, just what I prefer.

Try them both out, decide for yourself
Ahh, im sorry, I realize that better is not the right word of choice here. Not really sure what word to put really

Im not buying a bass haha, I wish I had that much dough, I just thought it was an interesting thought and wanted to see the opinions of others.
pinga
I'd pick the ibanez. Warwick necks are too thick for me.

But I don't think vs threads are allowed. Just a heads up that this thread might close.
I'm FAT!
Perhaps the biggest difference between any Ibanez or Warwick is the neck. The Ibanez is very flat and wider than normal (depending on the bass) and Warwick necks are a little chunkier. However they have brought out models as of last (this?) year with C profile necks, like a Fender Jazz.

Apart from the neck, you're really comparing apples and oranges here. Warwicks are made from 'boutique' woods, which give different timbres. The Ibanez Presitges have very colourless pre amps, but can be very versatile. I find whatever Ibanez I play, they all had a very smooth, natural tone to them, but could easily get a grittier tone with the right pickup selecting/Eqing, etc.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Sigh.

rules rules rules rules rules, whats the biggie?

Anyway, funny, i didnt really think WW necks where 'thick'. They look pretty thin to me. Id sacrafice a bit of thiness from my neck to have a sound like that lol.
pinga
Is there another option if I wouldn't pick either one?

They're complete apples and oranges. Out of the two I'd personally pick the Warwick, based purely on feel and nothing else. The Prestige's are fantastic basses, but I can't get over the SR necks.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Quote by Tostitos
Is there another option if I wouldn't pick either one?

They're complete apples and oranges. Out of the two I'd personally pick the Warwick, based purely on feel and nothing else. The Prestige's are fantastic basses, but I can't get over the SR necks.

Sure, this thread is open for discussion, but i'd like to keep it to high end ($1000 or more) basses just to keep things interesting

I love SR necks, really thin and just really confortable.
pinga
Quote by Cb4rabid
Sure, this thread is open for discussion, but i'd like to keep it to high end ($1000 or more) basses just to keep things interesting

I love SR necks, really thin and just really confortable.

Unfortunately I like chunkier necks, SR's have never really agreed with me

And $1000+ is a pretty broad range, everything in the alphabet from Alembic to Zon, and all the Pedulla's, F Bass's, Ritter's, MTD's, Lakland's, Skjold's, and countless others in between.

If I had to keep it in the $1200-$2000 Ibanez Prestige price range, I'd go used and try and nab up a Modulus or Steinberger. If I had to go new, a Fender MIA Precision 5.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
What about Spectors? I'm starting to really dig the body shape/head, though ive never heard one or played one. They look really well made, and I like Spector bridges.
pinga
Spector makes great basses as well, their euro and rebop series a great choice. Imo I think it's worth trying to find one with the Aguilar pre-amp, great versatility on them.

As for comparing them...now were at apples vs. oranges vs. pears. I find the Spector to be similar to the Ibanez on several levels as far as versatility and prettiness. Tone on them is similar but if you sit down and play on them you'll hear the difference (I find it's one of those things you can only really hear and not so much describe.) Neck is more of jazz or precision style on the Spectors (I don't play either so I forget which. I just am giving you a reference to compare to the twig of the Ibanez and the baseball bat of the Warwick)

However the Warwick Streamer has a very similar body style to the Spector's NS design...so that way you could get your Warwick "growl" on a Spector style body

edit: Just double checked and the MIG Streamers are crazily expensive so if you want to go that route you'll probably have to go used
Last edited by thunderbritches at Sep 8, 2010,
Im not buying guys, im just discussing!

My favorite Warwick is the Thumb 5-NT. Crazy awesome bass and just sooooo pretty (well in my opinion). How ''good'' are MEC pickups?
pinga
I much prefer the sound and comfort of an Ibanez, Warwicks are just awkward, and I'm not too crazy about their tones, Spectors are also nice too.
Quote by Eliyahu
Mr.Cuddles killed The Metal!!!! FUCK YES!

Quote by TheReverend724
Mr Cuddles pretty much nailed it...

Quote by thanksgiving

"Oh Mr.Cuddles, you make my pants go boom boom. I are horny. Do not disappoint I"

Viscara (my band)
Quote by Cb4rabid

My favorite Warwick is the Thumb 5-NT. Crazy awesome bass and just sooooo pretty (well in my opinion). How ''good'' are MEC pickups?

I like MEC's. I can't really say anything other than they're a part of that "Warwick sound", I've never played anything but a Warwick with MEC's in it

The Thumb is an incredibly comfy bass IMO.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Quote by Cb4rabid

I have always thought that warwick basses looked godly and were the pinacle of bass perfection. My local music has more warwick basses than any other bass brand with the exception of fender. Recently I noticed that there was a warwick thumb 6 hanging on the wall and after building up the courage I took it down and decided to try it out.

And well.....

I've never played such an over rated peice of gear in my life...... Such a big disappointment. For a 2800$ bass it played ok-decent but for 2800$ I want a bass that feels like perfection to my hands and ears.

The sound acoustically was not my thing at all. Amplified it sounded alot better but still sounded a bit "loose" for my liking. I guess they just dont fit my personal taste.

I'd much rather have an ibanez or conklin.

I'll add the conklin GT-7 and conklin bill dickens sig to the mix
1st Schecter 8er? in UG's 7 String Legion
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Well idk exactly how "good" the MEC's are seeing as they are in the Rockbass series too so that just goes to show you the price of Warwicks are really in the wood and build quality and not so much the electronics
Quote by Cb4rabid
I would imagine that means that their basses are top notch, albeit it than Ibanez as we all know, is superior in craftsmanship and quality to most other brands.

First off. What models are you looking at? At that price range I'm going to guess the 'wick is a Corvette but is it one of the new Korean ones or the old German made ones? When you get up in that price range you really need to just get out and play the basses you're thinking about, and then some. Personally I'd take the Warwick any day of the week, I'm not an Ibanez guy at all, I prefer basses that don't feel like toys (SRs). I wouldn't say they're superior in quality than "most other brands" either.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
I love Warwick for their unique tone though they're very rare and very expensive where I live.
Look at me all I have is Ibanez and I still love to a have Warwick for tonal versatility.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
if you guys like thin necks, get a used fortress.

freakin tiny. like fretting a pencil.

wish it was a little bigger, but everything else about it soooo great sounding.

but warwick all the way. Ibanez doesn't get that sound.

how about them Drozds though?
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by consecutive e
First off. What models are you looking at? At that price range I'm going to guess the 'wick is a Corvette but is it one of the new Korean ones or the old German made ones? When you get up in that price range you really need to just get out and play the basses you're thinking about, and then some. Personally I'd take the Warwick any day of the week, I'm not an Ibanez guy at all, I prefer basses that don't feel like toys (SRs). I wouldn't say they're superior in quality than "most other brands" either.

Im being very general here in terms of models. Any model of Warwick (or now, any other brand) that is $1200 and up'

You wouldnt say that Ibanez is better than most other brands? Why?
pinga
Quote by Cb4rabid
You wouldnt say that Ibanez is better than most other brands? Why?

Mainly because that's incredibly subjective. What's better for you might not be better for somebody else. The only time you'd see me playing an Ibanez is if they let me use completely my own design and I didn't have to pay for it.

EDIT: In all honesty I wouldn't mind trying one of those Ashula things, christ knows what I'd do with it though.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Last edited by consecutive e at Sep 9, 2010,
Quote by consecutive e
Mainly because that's incredibly subjective. What's better for you might not be better for somebody else. The only time you'd see me playing an Ibanez is if they let me use completely my own design and I didn't have to pay for it.

EDIT: In all honesty I wouldn't mind trying one of those Ashula things, christ knows what I'd do with it though.

It is subjective, however, you CAN say that Ibanez is better than a Dean. Sure, some people will like the dean more than an Ibanez, but 95% of the time, the Ibanez comes out strong.

Not to mention its just of higher quality, thats the point im trying to get at.

though no one is ever 'subjective when they bash us behringer users...
pinga
I've played a lot of basses in my day. Warwick, Tobias, Ritter, Fender, Carvin, Spector (my current), and Ibanez, to name a few. I'm consistently impressed with Ibanez and their quality and playability. Would I consider them the best bass in the world? Probably not. But, for the money, it's hard to beat them.

Another bass that is often overlooked that I really dig is the Carvin Icon. That thing plays really nicely.
Quote by Cb4rabid
It is subjective, however, you CAN say that Ibanez is better than a Dean. Sure, some people will like the dean more than an Ibanez, but 95% of the time, the Ibanez comes out strong.

Not to mention its just of higher quality, thats the point im trying to get at.

though no one is ever 'subjective when they bash us behringer users...

Maybe at the lower end of the spectrum, but I haven't played many Deans and that's only one company in a sea of hundreds. Then again I'm probably predjudiced.
As for Behringer I've never heard of any of their products breaking on people I know in real life, only on the internet, My 30watt practise amp is still going strong after 6 years, haven't used it in months though, lent it to a friend.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Quote by Cosmo420
I've played a lot of basses in my day. Warwick, Tobias, Ritter, Fender, Carvin, Spector (my current), and Ibanez, to name a few. I'm consistently impressed with Ibanez and their quality and playability. Would I consider them the best bass in the world? Probably not. But, for the money, it's hard to beat them.

Another bass that is often overlooked that I really dig is the Carvin Icon. That thing plays really nicely.

I'd agree in the 1000 and under market ibanez is probably king and schecter a close second.

I don't think ibanez really has that big of a footprint in the 1000+ market as they only have 1 prestige model that comes in different string configuations. THis is different in japan im sure but as far as north america/europe are concerned I don't think they have as much pull as warwick or conklin or fender etc.

That being said I love ibanez basses. They feel amazing to my hands.
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Quote by Slanderous666
I'd agree in the 1000 and under market ibanez is probably king and schecter a close second.

I don't think ibanez really has that big of a footprint in the 1000+ market as they only have 1 prestige model that comes in different string configuations. THis is different in japan im sure but as far as north america/europe are concerned I don't think they have as much pull as warwick or conklin or fender etc.

That being said I love ibanez basses. They feel amazing to my hands.

Well, "1000+" is a huge range as well. In that range not only do you have $1100 basses, but you also have $11,000 basses. Those two really can't be compared.

Probably a better range to consider is $1000-2000. Obviously an Ibanez or any other bass under $1500 or so would not compare to a $5000+ bass.
Quote by Cosmo420

Yeah I know the Ibanez isnt the best bass on earth, im sure, but I love it, even the really nice looking models are rugged. Ive hit the head of my bass (once REALLY hard) and I havent gotten a single scratch on it. For the money, they're the best in my opinion.

Quote by consecutive e
Maybe at the lower end of the spectrum, but I haven't played many Deans and that's only one company in a sea of hundreds. Then again I'm probably predjudiced.
As for Behringer I've never heard of any of their products breaking on people I know in real life, only on the internet, My 30watt practise amp is still going strong after 6 years, haven't used it in months though, lent it to a friend.

I prefer Ibanez over Deans, Peavys, ESPs, Epiphones (even Gibsons), Schecter and Yamahas just to name a few. But yes, i know this is my opinion, but I just feel than Ibanez comes out on the higher side of quality when compared to these companies.

I too have only heard on Behringer breaking on people on the internet, Actually, ONLY on this site. Ive seen reviews elsewhere that are great reviews. No poopage yet on me
pinga
^ oh, the bad times I've had with Behringer

Quote by the humanity
how about them Drozds though?

I'll see those Drozd's and raise you a Pedulla and a Rob Allen
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
I can't think of any real Warwicks that cost $1200 new...
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by Nutter_101
I can't think of any real Warwicks that cost $1200 new...

Not directly from them, but on ebay you'll find a boatload.

Side note: crap, who knew wood can be so expensive. The top quality of Koa wood as a body costs $10,000 (just the body, nothing added). What does Koa sound like?....if anyone has ever had the luxury of hearing it lol
pinga
Koa is a very exclusive wood. It sounds like mahogany with a bit more brightness. Apparently Black acacia, Australian blackwood, is similar.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by Cb4rabid
Not directly from them, but on ebay you'll find a boatload.

Side note: crap, who knew wood can be so expensive. The top quality of Koa wood as a body costs $10,000 (just the body, nothing added). What does Koa sound like?....if anyone has ever had the luxury of hearing it lol

I dont know what it sounds like, but I can tell you why it costs so much- firstly AAAAA flamed koa is rare- especially in boards large enough to make a body from. Secondly, it's sourced from Hawaii, of who's local government limits the export. You may have to wait over a year for Warwick just to be able to get the wood to the Custom Shop.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I dont know what it sounds like, but I can tell you why it costs so much- firstly AAAAA flamed koa is rare- especially in boards large enough to make a body from. Secondly, it's sourced from Hawaii, of who's local government limits the export. You may have to wait over a year for Warwick just to be able to get the wood to the Custom Shop.

Not to mention most custom shops have to dry the woods for 8-12 months or longer if the woods are not properly dried. I remember seeing an interview with micheal tobias stressing this point.
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Crap, so even after paying a third of the average annual salary for a person (again, JUST for the body) id have to wait almost 2 years to get it?

...you know swirly Bubinga is the secks too
pinga
Quote by Cb4rabid
Crap, so even after paying a third of the average annual salary for a person (again, JUST for the body) id have to wait almost 2 years to get it?

...you know swirly Bubinga is the secks too

You might not. Just depends what they have in stock when you order what you want.

Interestingly enough carvin only charges 240 for for a koa neck and body option on one of their basses and 140 for a flamed koa top. And they only take 1-2 months to build.
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Quote by Slanderous666
You might not. Just depends what they have in stock when you order what you want.

Interestingly enough carvin only charges 240 for for a koa neck and body option on one of their basses and 140 for a flamed koa top. And they only take 1-2 months to build.

Maybe the cost of labor/import from germany is more expensive?

Just a guess "/
pinga
Quote by Cb4rabid
Maybe the cost of labor/import from germany is more expensive?

Just a guess "/

I'm pretty sure your paying for the name and the status of a warwick bass. Warwicks are nice well made basses but are far from the best bang for your buck. To be honest I think to be fair they do definately deserve consideration for importing the wood and all this red tape but 10 000? Conklin only charges 200$ for a koa body and 600$ for a figured koa top.

Warmoth charges 695$ for a koa body which is quite high but still not close to 10 000.
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Quote by Slanderous666
I'm pretty sure your paying for the name and the status of a warwick bass. Warwicks are nice well made basses but are far from the best bang for your buck. To be honest I think to be fair they do definately deserve consideration for importing the wood and all this red tape but 10 000? Conklin only charges 200$ for a koa body and 600$ for a figured koa top.

Warmoth charges 695$ for a koa body which is quite high but still not close to 10 000.

Meh, I guess you never know. Im sure theres plenty of 'behind the scenes' stuff that we just dont know. Or maybe Warwicks koa are a special, rarer, or just nicer koa than the rest, although from $200/700 to $10,000 is a pretty big gap to fill, I honestly wouldn't know.
pinga
Quote by Slanderous666

I'm going to flat out disagree here. A German built Corvette is a bass that oozes value for money. A bass that actually raised in price after having production moved to Korea gives a bit of an indication.

The difference between Conklin, Carvin and Warwick? Warwick use solid flamed koa for the body. A figured top or an unfigured body blank will naturally cost less because it simply isn't as rare as a board of figured koa large enough to cut a body from. Plus Carvin and Conklin are US based, which includes Hawaii, so it isn't an export per se, meaning supplies are much more steady.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I'm going to flat out disagree here. A German built Corvette is a bass that oozes value for money. A bass that actually raised in price after having production moved to Korea gives a bit of an indication.

The difference between Conklin, Carvin and Warwick? Warwick use solid flamed koa for the body. A figured top or an unfigured body blank will naturally cost less because it simply isn't as rare as a board of figured koa large enough to cut a body from. Plus Carvin and Conklin are US based, which includes Hawaii, so it isn't an export per se, meaning supplies are much more steady.

I would say they are valuable but for playability and tone for the price I would have to say it is lacking but then again thats a subjective statement I admit. Just my opinion in the end.

I would say that yes being in the USA has an effect and i could see double or triple the price but 600 to 10k for a body is just too hard to justify in my eyes.
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Page 1 of 2