Hello All,

I am a leather worker. I am not here to pawn my stuff. I am looking to refine some of the designs and am looking for ideas to improve my stuff. I have made a few guitar straps based on a pattern I received from a fellow leather worker.
I have a few questions, not being a guitar player or even ever tried to play, I have questions about straps in general.

I hope I do not sound too stupid.

#1 The pattern has the button hole at the top that attaches to the guitar at the neck or down on the body, but it has a couple holes on the adjustment strap. Why are there two on the adjustment strap?

#2 What is a good width for a strap? I have made a couple at 3 inches and one at 2 inches. I assume the width is a matter of comfort based on the weight of the guitar. Is this the only factor in a wider strap?

#3 I assume that a taller player would like a strap that was longer than a shorter player, or some like to play at with a lower stance than others, I see many pre-made straps that are adjustable from 38" to about 50". Considering most are in that range, I shouldn't re-invent the wheel but what are your thoughts on that range?

I will leave it at that for now. As the discussion continues I would like to reserve the right to ask more questions.

Thanks

Allen
OK another question, again this may be a matter of personal preference, but for the most part I have lined them with suede. Which is do you prefer a smooth liner that sides easily or a "cushiony" feel of suede?
#1. So you have two lengths immediately available when switching between different guitars. I also used to use the two on my double-neck - it had dual pins, and it needed it.

#2. i like 3" straps because I have a dodgey shoulder from a motorbike bingle. I do have some 2.5" ones too and they are ok. 2.5" is a good compromise.

#3. That sounds like a fairly good range to me but it may be a bit on the short side.. Mine are about 47" but I am not a very tall guy and don't hang it very low any more. 50" might be a bit on the short side for many.

#4. Suede every time.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
#1 The pattern has the button hole at the top that attaches to the guitar at the neck or down on the body, but it has a couple holes on the adjustment strap. Why are there two on the adjustment strap?

I think it depends on the way you prefer to bring the tail, back through the main strap.

Check this thread:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1287470&highlight=strap

Now I have my strap a bit different than in the picture, but both holes are being used.
(I hope I understood your question correctly.)

#2 What is a good width for a strap? I have made a couple at 3 inches and one at 2 inches. I assume the width is a matter of comfort based on the weight of the guitar. Is this the only factor in a wider strap?

Wide for my Les Paul... 3" or more.
Last edited by BurstBucker Pro at Sep 9, 2010,