There are some very high gain voicings in the second channel. Technically, yes it can do metal. I would recommend a boost or OD pedal and you should be fine.
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." -George Santayana
+1

Depends on what kind of metal. It is not really geared for high gain modern metal but it can do thrash and doom type stuff with a boost.

fly135 is our resident SuperChamp expert. I think he owns two of them.

What kind of metal do you play and where are you located?
I concur with the opinions expressed here. The are better metal amps, but it does have two distinctly different voiced high gain tones settings. Any deficiencies could probably be overcome with the right pedal.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
+1

Depends on what kind of metal. It is not really geared for high gain modern metal but it can do thrash and doom type stuff with a boost.

fly135 is our resident SuperChamp expert. I think he owns two of them.

What kind of metal do you play and where are you located?

heavy-thrash metal(metallica/maiden/accept)
Quote by philipk
heavy-thrash metal(metallica/maiden/accept)

I may not be qualified to answer that but my take with what little time I have had with the amp is that you would want an OD pedal, possibly a new preamp tube, a probably a new speaker

As much as I like the SCXD I probably wouldn't buy one if those were the bands I played most often. A Vypyr 75 or better yet - the Vypyr 60 might work better for you. So might a used 5150/65605/XXX/Ultra/XXL/Flextones/Cubes/etc.

what is your total budget and closest city?
i dont know my budget and my nearest city is haifa.
lol.
the vypyr and other amps that you have listed are too loud for home use
basically i want a combo amp to use at home/small gigs that is very versatile and can do pretty much anything- including metal but not only metal
the SCXD looks like a good option
Quote by philipk
lol.
the vypyr and other amps that you have listed are too loud for home usebasically i want a combo amp to use at home/small gigs that is very versatile and can do pretty much anything- including metal but not only metal

You know those things have a volume knob?
I use a 120 watt valve amp in my bedroom..

the 15/30 vypyr is great for home use
Gear:

Schecter Jeff Loomis 7-String
Engl Savage 120
Maxon OD-808
Harley benton 2x12 v30's
Bugera 333
Bugera 6260
i had a frontman15r for 6 months and on the OD channel i had it on minimum and it was too loud for me
the Vypyrs also come with a headphone jack and a volume knob as mentioned. If you play mostly metal, you don't need loud overdriven amp tones to begin with. You want preamp distortion, something the Vypyr does very well imo. You don't have to use the effects either, you can use just the amp models.

I would seriously stretch your budget, whatever that is, to $450 and get the Vypyr 60 for $450 and if that is too much, then get the 75 wattr for $275.

After that I would consider a Line 6 UX1 and Pod Farm.
i didnt say that i play mostly metal, i also play rock, blues, and pretty much everything except jazz.
is the vypyr better than the SCXD\vox VT for any type of music?
The Vypyr is only better for metal. Sounds like the SCXD is a better choice. I am unsatisfied with the rock and blues gain tones on my Vypyr 15.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I may not be qualified to answer that but my take with what little time I have had with the amp is that you would want an OD pedal, possibly a new preamp tube, a probably a new speaker

As much as I like the SCXD I probably wouldn't buy one if those were the bands I played most often. A Vypyr 75 or better yet - the Vypyr 60 might work better for you. So might a used 5150/65605/XXX/Ultra/XXL/Flextones/Cubes/etc.

what is your total budget and closest city?

+1 to that, and probably +1 to the other things too (never tried a new tube in it, and I don't have a boost. The speaker in the amp is pretty shitty, but it's got a decent preamp in it, so if you hooked it up to a better cab, it would sound good I think.

Quote by philipk
lol.
the vypyr and other amps that you have listed are too loud for home use
basically i want a combo amp to use at home/small gigs that is very versatile and can do pretty much anything- including metal but not only metal

I'm just warning you, the SCXD gets pretty loud for home use. Not to say it can't be used at home, but I usually don't get the volume knob near 3.
On a side note. I just yesterday did the unthinkable. I had purchased a brand new Vox AC15C1 thinking it would replace my SCXD and I was shocked to find that the SCXD was not only more versatile but almost as loud and had more features.

I actually returned the AC15 and am now once again shopping for a new louder amp with more headroom. I just need a few features the champ doesn't have like an effects loop and possibly 2 x 12.

I'm quickly finding out that the SCXD is much better than even I had imagined. I guess I took it for granted since it's the first tube amp I've owned and I've had it for about two years now.
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." -George Santayana
Quote by Chococat
On a side note. I just yesterday did the unthinkable. I had purchased a brand new Vox AC15C1 thinking it would replace my SCXD and I was shocked to find that the SCXD was not only more versatile but almost as loud and had more features.

I actually returned the AC15 and am now once again shopping for a new louder amp with more headroom. I just need a few features the champ doesn't have like an effects loop and possibly 2 x 12.

I'm quickly finding out that the SCXD is much better than even I had imagined. I guess I took it for granted since it's the first tube amp I've owned and I've had it for about two years now.

why do you need an FX loop?
you have a few basic effects built in and if youre using pedals you might as well use an od pedal and put it before the time based effects youre using
anyways, ill probably go for the SCXD
^I'd just go for the SCXD and see what you think. I think it is a great amp. You can always return it within set time.

I brought up the Vypyr because you stated 'Metallica, Slayer, and something else'. I think the Vypyr is better suited for that but it doesn't mean the SCXD can't at all.

Also, I got your PM.

to clarify, the Vox VT and SuperChamp and even the Tube Vyper 60 are not 'tube amps' in the traditional sense. yes they have some tubes in them but that just makes them a Hybrid.

Also, the Vypyr may seem complex but really you can turn off all the effects and just use the amp models.

If you like what you are seeing in the SuperChamp then get it - I'm not trying to sway you into a Vypyr. The only Vypyr I would buy is the 60 and 120 power tube versions.

Also, there is a huge SuperChamp thread over on the fender.com forum that might be worth reading through, especially if you get one. Good Luck!

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
^I'd just go for the SCXD and see what you think. I think it is a great amp. You can always return it within set time.

I brought up the Vypyr because you stated 'Metallica, Slayer, and something else'. I think the Vypyr is better suited for that but it doesn't mean the SCXD can't at all.

Also, I got your PM.

to clarify, the Vox VT and SuperChamp and even the Tube Vyper 60 are not 'tube amps' in the traditional sense. yes they have some tubes in them but that just makes them a Hybrid.

Also, the Vypyr may seem complex but really you can turn off all the effects and just use the amp models.

If you like what you are seeing in the SuperChamp then get it - I'm not trying to sway you into a Vypyr. The only Vypyr I would buy is the 60 and 120 power tube versions.

Also, there is a huge SuperChamp thread over on the fender.com forum that might be worth reading through, especially if you get one. Good Luck!

i didnt write slayer
im still dont know which one i should get lol
deciding what gear im going to buy is annoying
anyways thanks for the help everyone
^

ooops...sorry about that. Oh well, Slayer rocks too.

Can you play both somewhere? That is the only way to know for sure. The SuperChamp is just a bit more vintage voiced but can do Thrash as mentioned. The Vypyr can do that stuff with ease and then more modern types of music. If you want cleans or blues just switch it over to 'Twin' or 'Plexi'. The Super Champ does have power tubes, which is nice in my book.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
^

ooops...sorry about that. Oh well, Slayer rocks too.

Can you play both somewhere? That is the only way to know for sure. The SuperChamp is just a bit more vintage voiced but can do Thrash as mentioned. The Vypyr can do that stuff with ease and then more modern types of music. If you want cleans or blues just switch it over to 'Twin' or 'Plexi'. The Super Champ does have power tubes, which is nice in my book.

umm ok.
they both can do 80's metal/thrash metal, but is the vypyr that much better?
BTW, what about the ht5? is it any good?
Last edited by philipk at Sep 9, 2010,