Hey all! So, I'm making a custom guitar shortly, and I had an idea I want to run by you guys for conformation.

Well, you know how Floyd Rose makes locking tremolo's? Well duh! You do! Well, I love this locking tremolo's BUT, there is one down-side... You can't drastically change the tuning. The farthest I've seen someone drop one is 1 and 1/2 steps. I would like to drop the E to at least B. Now, there are locking TUNER'S (I have a some on my Telecaster) and this are great! But they're not as stable as the locking nut + tremolo. So what I thought to do was:

Buy a Floyd Rose Locking Tremolo.
Buy locking TUNER's.
Put them on the guitar and don't install the locking nut.

Would this make it possible to drop the string 2 1/2 steps down while keeping tuning stability when using the tremolo?

If not, screw it, I'll install the nut and keep it in standard.
Mistakes happen. How do you think I got here?
This is what alot of people do...
Only with a roller nut.

You'd still need to set up the Floyd Rose unit though, as the unit would dip into the cavity or have a high angle.

Edit:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=614226

Edit 2:

You can have a Floyd Rose Unit, but you can't eat it!

Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
Last edited by Kingyem0c0re at Sep 8, 2010,
If I understand what you mean, it won't work, the issue is that when you lower the tension in the strings without lowering the tension of the springs the bridge goes wonky. The nut isn't why you can't change tunings easily with a floating trem, it's the tension issues.

This is me thinking you mean drop tune without setting the bridge up again. If you mean dropping the tuning, then doing another set up then yeah, using locking tuners will work.
Quote by Wondergaurd
The Strat/Tele debate is alot like picking a starter in Pokemon, each is great at something and can cover other fields well, it's just what they do good and great that makes 'em different
Last edited by laxduck at Sep 8, 2010,
Lax, why did you change "umm, deleted?"

In all essence, TS, it can't be done, unless you have a tremol-no, which just in turn, blocks the trem for use.
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
Damn. Well, I tried. I'll just put locking tuner's on it with a good tremolo.
Mistakes happen. How do you think I got here?
Quote by Kingyem0c0re
Lax, why did you change "umm, deleted?"

In all essence, TS, it can't be done, unless you have a tremol-no, which just in turn, blocks the trem for use.

I had second thoughts with the way I stated things. I'm really bad with internet forums, feel quite awkward on them most of the time, incredibly wary of putting out false information. I very much dislike the confusion they can create and I realize I may not have read his statement well enough and may have stated things incorrectly. It was a placeholder while I revised what I said.
Quote by Wondergaurd
The Strat/Tele debate is alot like picking a starter in Pokemon, each is great at something and can cover other fields well, it's just what they do good and great that makes 'em different
Will not work. If you want to do something like this you'll need to block the trem. Either with a fancy gadget (tremol-no) or with a piece of wood in the back.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!