So, very rarely do things make me sort of choke up inside, but this did. http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Dwight-Howard-makes-a-lady-s-day-life?urn=nba-268206. Dwight Howard, a Basketball player, visited an old lady with terminal cancer. This lady wanted to sit down and talk with him because she considered him one of her heroes.

Now, we've all heard about sports players or coaches who do clinics or do good things in their community, but a lot of the time, that's for PR. Very rarely do we hear of players who do things just to be nice.

This isn't a thread about Dwight Howard himself though. Rather, I'd like to pose the following questions: What does the Pit think of VIPs doing things to brighten other people's lives? Does the Pit know of any other stories like this one?
Honestly, I'm guessing stuff like this happens a lot but you just don't hear about it. I know if I was a sportsman of Howard's status I wouldn't tell the media about bits like that.

EDIT: Chad OchoCinco often books up entire restaurants and says "Turn up and I'll pay." I think he's got that planned for every away game this year.
Last edited by TEK34 at Sep 8, 2010,
Not a fan per se, but Daniel and Henrik Sedin donated 1.5 million dollars to the BC Children's Hospital back in March.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
Quote by Colgate Total
Not a fan per se, but Daniel and Henrik Sedin donated 1.5 million dollars to the BC Children's Hospital back in March.

Madieu Williams donated $2 million of his own money to a kids hospital a while back, too.
Well, maybe so. But it's cool to hear about it. Guys like Howard are definitely high-profile. So, I think it sets an example to the rest of us to look for ways we can do stuff like this. Maybe not meeting a fan of yours, but maybe helping an old lady across the street or holding the door for someone who's in a wheelchair. It's the little things that can make a big difference.
LeBron blew me once. But only because I asked him (it was good PR, too).
Quote by pielover375
So last year, I put some potatoes in this jar and forgot about them. Today, I found them, and when I opened the jar, there is a puddle at the bottom and it smells like alcohol. If I drink this, do you think I will die, or have I made potato vodka?
Ochocinco is actually really nice to his fans, like the above poster said, booking restaurants and having dinner with fans.

NASCAR Drivers like Denny Hamlin often buy extra tickets for people, have people say if they want them via. Twitter, and he'll leave them at his merch trailor in their name.
Wow, these are all great. Keep 'em coming, guys.

I looked up Asomugha, btw. I was quite impressed by what he's done.

Quote by gacharya
LeBron blew me once. But only because I asked him (it was good PR, too).

No, but seriously. Quit trollin', son.
Quote by Msu_Man04
Ochocinco is actually really nice to his fans, like the above poster said, booking restaurants and having dinner with fans.

NASCAR Drivers like Denny Hamlin often buy extra tickets for people, have people say if they want them via. Twitter, and he'll leave them at his merch trailor in their name.

If Ocho didn't do so much ridiculous stuff he'd be the most loved player in the NFL. At the moment he's a Marmite character, people seem to love or hate him.

I know locally a lot of rugby players (Northampton Saints, 2nd biggest team in England) are good guys.
ben roethlisberger with **** you if your a hot girl in a bathroom (with or with out permission)

on the other hand i know that troy polamalu once bought everyones dinner at a restaurant he was at because no one came up and asked him for an autograph while he was eating
Quote by gatechballer
SoLgEr is the ****ing man!!!!!
Roberto Clemente, he was on his way to give charity work and died in a plane crash.
STಠ_ಠ