What's a good song (or solo) that hangs out in the 12+ area, I'm looking for something that's very simple (not tons of legato) and preferably a common song that I've probably already heard.
While not a solo, the first thing that came to mind is the intro to Sweet Child O' Mine by GnR. As far as solos go, sometimes it just depends on where you play it, point being that some of the higher notes for the deeper strings are far up the neck, wheres on lighter strings they can be farther down. David Gilmour from Pink Floyd would be a good guitarist to study, solos to songs like Comfortably Numb, Money, and Another Brick in the Wall pt 2. Honestly rock songs from the 70's had solos that would hang around in that 12-15 fret range in minor pentatonic. Hope this helps!
c-c-c-combo breaker? idk if that counts....

enter sandman - metallica has a pretty simple solo thats up there most of the time
Quote by Johnny_Reano
While not a solo, the first thing that came to mind is the intro to Sweet Child O' Mine by GnR.
Thats the first song that came to my mind aswell lol. That and that sweet little riff that James Hetfield plays in the middle of Master of Puppets (the first thing he plays over the top off that acoustic riff before he switches to full on solo mode). The solo James plays at the end of Outlaw Torn is another easy one thats played around the 12th fret.
Last edited by John Revolting at Sep 9, 2010,
all of metallica's solos are on teh 12 fret onwards in a minor shape
- Ibanez S470 (2004)
- late 70's vintage Fender Stratocaster (USA)
- VOX VT100 Amp
- Digitech Whammy Pedal
- Weeping Demon Wah Pedal
- Visual Sound Volume Pedal
- MXR Micro Amp
knockin on heaven's door - guns n roses first solo, just what you are asking for. simple, sounds great and 12-17 area.
David Gilmour from Pink Floyd would be a good guitarist to study, solos to songs like Comfortably Numb.

Comfortably Numb is mainly played at the 7-10 fret area.

TS: Listen to music. If you hear solos that are clearly being played on the higher end of the fretboard, learn them.